2013 CX-5 belt tensioner

REDNINJA

:
2013 MAZDA CX-5 GRAND TOURING
I have just about 78k on my 2013 CX-5 and I was told that the serpentine belt tensioner is leaking and needs to be replaced along with the belt (of course) but I am trying to figure out if I should also replace the water pump while I am in there or if that is really labor intensive. I am very unfamiliar with this vehicle maintenance wise and need some advise on how to proceed.

For reference, here is the water pump replacement instructions: http://www.mcx5.org/water_pump_removal_installation-1386.html

Says to pop off water pump belt and leave the other belt in place. I think it makes more sense to preventatively replace the water pump at 10 years or ~120k miles when you are changing the coolant vs the tensioner and belts. Even then, thats just because the coolant would be drained at that time and still not a necessity.

I absolutely wouldn't change the water pump unless it's leaking/noisy.No big deal to remove belts when(or if) the time comes.The modern coolants give great water pump and hose life compared to the old green stuff of yesteryear.Do believe some members of this board have posted high miles( 150,000 or more) on their CX-5 with original water pump. Jmaz

Keep in mind that the tensioner is a simple spring-loaded type, not hydraulic. Take it off, pull the grommet. You'll see a simple spring, lubricated by an ounce of fluid, no dampener. If the pulley's bearing is fine, add some hydraulic oil in there, clean the grommet and put it back. The grommet does not sit very tight there, sometimes lubricant leaks out.
This is an easy sell for the garage, but even technicians don't know that the tensioner isn't leaking, per se...

Last edited:
Keep in mind that the tensioner is a simple spring-loaded type, not hydraulic. Take it off, pull the grommet. You'll see a simple spring, lubricated by an ounce of fluid, no dampener. If the pulley's bearing is fine, add some hydraulic oil in there, clean the grommet and put it back. The grommet does not sit very tight there, sometimes lubricant leaks out.
This is an easy sell for the garage, but even technicians don't know that the tensioner isn't leaking, per se...

Last check on original tensioner for CX-5 @110k miles: Dry and no sound.

Last check on current 2nd tensioner (40k miles old) for Mazda6 @70k miles: very slight seepage and no sound. Not a concern at this time as I remember the original one was leaking noticeably bad at 30k. The new revision tensioner must be an improvement.

I think the whole system must be reliant on the tiny bit of dampening the tensioner provides......or Not lol?

How hard was it to pull off the grommet?

Back