2011 CX-9 unlocking and liftgate problems

Hi I just brought home a 2011 with a lot of miles. It appears to be in very good shape and carfax is good.

But I can't get the car to reprogram the locks. I am following the manual, I have the car "on" I hold the lock button until it beeps. I press the unlock button and wait until it beeps. but then nothing changes. After driving the and turning the car off the doors will not unlock.

The lift gate only works with the fob or the button by the steering wheel. Even while standing at the back with the keyfob I cannot manually open the door.

Update: Solved the liftgate problem by pushing the handle forward. The handle was stuck in the forward position. Now with some wd40 it is working better, and more importantly I know how to solve it. Still no progress in programming the locks.

Are you trying to configure the auto-lock feature? If so, refer to page 3-31 of your owner's manual found here. The instructions read as follows:

1. Stop the vehicle and close all the doors.
2. Switch the ignition ON.
3. Press and hold the lock side of the driver's door-lock switch within 10 seconds of switching the ignition ON, and make sure a beep sound is heard about eight seconds afterwards.
4. Referring to the auto lock/unlock function setting table, determine the function number for the desired setting and press the unlock side of the driver's door-lock switch only in the amount of the selected function number (Ex. If you select function 2, press the unlock side of the switch only 2 times).

Here is the function setting table:
Capture.JPG

I would follow the procedure and set the function to 3, 4, or 5 depending on your needs (meaning after the first beep from holding down the lock button for about 8 seconds, I would press the unlock button 3, 4, or 5 times).

I think with the current setting, putting the car in park does not unlock the liftgate, which might be why you can't manually open it from the back.

Thank you Sm1ke.

I am using that page from in owners manual. Everything seems to work and beep, but the locks don't are still the same. I thought now that the liftgate is resolved and the handle is in the correct position I could reprogram, but it still isn't working.

The lock/unlock button on the drivers door is a bit intermittent but I have figured it out enough so that when I follow the programming instructions the presses and beeps happen as expected.

Solved. Got the rear latch working. And worked the program from the manual about 15 times until that worked. I think paying closer attention to when the lock/unlock button registered being pushed was the key and that took some trial and error.

update Solved the liftgate problem by pushing the handle forward. The handle was stuck in the forward position. Now with some wd40 it is working better
Handle? Stuck? What handle are you talking about. The only way to open the tailgate is electronically or via the access panel inside the vehicle.

The handle in the liftgate above the license plate under the mazda emblem. Perhaps there is a better word for it than handle.

I think you are right though, if everything failed the access panel would be the last resort.

the handle in the liftgate above the license plate under the mazda emblem. Perhaps there is a better word for it than handle.

I think you are right though, if everything failed the access panel would be the last resort.
Ok, I figured that's what you were referring too. Glad you got it figured out. My gate was broken for a few months and life was painful. LOL

Back