2010 Mazda5/Premacy Sliding Door Leak

Hi, we bought a 2010 (New Shape) Mazda5 back at the end of March. First owner in NZ and very tidy.

With the winter weather now in full swing I have noticed water building up on the bottom rubber sliding door seal on one side only.

I cant see any leaks around the top where water could be getting in and think I have narrowed it down to the inner door.

I think water may be tracking along the wire cover and building up. Can some advise if there's a seal in the door that may have given out. Door drains are clear and working as they should.

Has anyone had this issue before?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Photo below.

20200627_083814.jpg

Can you pull the step trim piece off and see if it shows the source of the leak or at least the affected area? Does the liquid soapy? If it does then there may be a leak from the windshield wiper fluid tube joint in the ceiling. If it is just water, and the wet portion extend to the back, then you may wish to check the hatch on the passenger side. I would also check the spare tire wheel well too if the hatch is leaking.

Does the car come with a sunroof? If it does, I would check the drainage tubes on the passenger side. That's another potential source of leakage if they are blocked.

Last edited:
Can you pull the step trim piece off and see if it shows the source of the leak or at least the affected area? Does the liquid soapy? If it does then there may be a leak from the windshield wiper fluid tube joint in the ceiling. If it is just water, and the wet portion extend to the back, then you may wish to check the hatch on the passenger side. I would also check the spare tire wheel well too if the hatch is leaking.

Does the car come with a sunroof? If it does, I would check the drainage tubes on the passenger side. That's another potential source of leakage if they are blocked.

No sunroof fitted to this one.

We only get issues when it rains.

After re looking at the door seal rubber I'm wondering if rain water is tracking up the from where the seal looks to have been pinched.
I've ordered a new seal but that's 6 weeks ex Japan as non of the wreckers here have one.
Very frustrating.

Hi, I am also having this issue.
Unfortunately it is now too cold to go troubleshooting. I will wait a few more weeks and then remove the door panel.

So a little background, in case anyone else has this issue. We've had a lot of rain the past few months and I had water pooling in the driver's-side footwell. I removed the trim and pulled the carpet back but couldn't find the source of the leak. The driver's door sill was dry and it was hard to see if there was a leak from under the dash because there's some foam board in the way. So I took it to Mazda, thinking they're the experts. Wrong. They couldn't find any issue and suggested I had left the window cracked by mistake. Yeah, I left the window cracked for a month and didn't notice. Morons. And then I noticed the back footwell was wet and there was some water on the sliding door-sill which seemed to be tracking along the wires under the sill trim, and forward to the driver's footwell. I came across this thread while researching and remembered that I had pulled the inner panel on the sliding door last spring in order to fix the door handle. That led me to believe it was actually the inner door weather-seal that was compromised, not the rubber seal around the door. Turns out I was correct. I took it to a different shop and they resealed the interior of the sliding door and everything is dry now. Hope this helps somebody.

I am glad you were able to figure it out. I am also glad that when I did the wiring during the backup camera and rear dashcam installation, I chose routing the wires via the bottom of the car (going under the interior door jam cover instead of the edge of the ceiling liner). Anything that affect the weather strip / seal can break away the contact and it is easier to cause the leak that way.

So a little background, in case anyone else has this issue. We've had a lot of rain the past few months and I had water pooling in the driver's-side footwell. I removed the trim and pulled the carpet back but couldn't find the source of the leak. The driver's door sill was dry and it was hard to see if there was a leak from under the dash because there's some foam board in the way. So I took it to Mazda, thinking they're the experts. Wrong. They couldn't find any issue and suggested I had left the window cracked by mistake. Yeah, I left the window cracked for a month and didn't notice. Morons. And then I noticed the back footwell was wet and there was some water on the sliding door-sill which seemed to be tracking along the wires under the sill trim, and forward to the driver's footwell. I came across this thread while researching and remembered that I had pulled the inner panel on the sliding door last spring in order to fix the door handle. That led me to believe it was actually the inner door weather-seal that was compromised, not the rubber seal around the door. Turns out I was correct. I took it to a different shop and they resealed the interior of the sliding door and everything is dry now. Hope this helps somebody.
I am just now dealing with this same problem on my 2006 Mazda5. When you refer to the “inner door weather seal” are you referring to the rubber gasket that that configures around the door jam?

I am just now dealing with this same problem on my 2006 Mazda5. When you refer to the “inner door weather seal” are you referring to the rubber gasket that that configures around the door jam?
Hi Keith. Yeah, the names are confusing. It wasn't the rubber "weatherstripping" that was compromised, it was the seal inside the door. If you Youtube "Mazda 5 Sliding Door Panel Removal" and pause on the last 2 seconds of the video you can get a sense of what I mean. Above the white, plastic "waffle" looking component is a panel that holds all the window opening components, etc. It bolts to the frame of the door. In between that bolted on panel and the metal door is a seal that keeps rain from penetrating to the interior of the door, and down along the trim panel. I had removed that bolted on panel to fix the door handle, and in doing so, compromised that seal somehow. That's my theory anyway. It was fairly expensive to get that all resealed. So much for saving money by fixing the door handle myself! Anyway, if you're so inclined, you could remove the interior door trim panel as per the full Youtube video. Then you would be able to visually verify if the seal around that "bolt on, component panel" is actually the source of your leak. (p.s. my descriptions of the various panels might still be confusing so feel free to ask more questions) The "bolt on" panel that has the seal I'm talking about looks to be #23 in this diagram https://www.realmazdaparts.com/v-2013-mazda-5--grand-touring--2-5l-l4-gas/body--lock-and-hardware

Last edited:
Finally got around to changing the seal that goes around the door (B & C pillar) and still getting water building up on the rubber. As Keith has stated I think ours is the same issue so it looks like I'll be pulling the trim off to reseal the inner panel.

Will have a crack at it once we get 1 or 2 fine days here. I will post my findings once I get this sorted.

@zakspeed76 did you ever get this fixed?

I am dealing with this exact issue.
Unfortunately not. I went to pull the interior panel off but broke a clip and stopped as I didn't want to break anything else. We have ended up just drying it with an old towel when water does pool. It seems to be random when water does and doesn't pool in the seal.

Back