2010 CX-9 Touring Battery Replaced

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Hello, I just replaced the original battery that came with the vehicle after I could not start the engine yesterday morning. Typically, I keep the car in the garage overnight but the other night, I had it stay outside and yesterday morning the temperature was right at freezing, 32'F or 0'C. Before even turning the ignition knob, I noticed a few indicators - unlocking the doors took several clicks with the key fob, when turning the ignition to accessories mode, the dashboard went ballistic. With ignition on, I got just a few clicks and not a single turn of the starter. So I ended up jump starting the vehicle. Then, I had no issues throughout the day. This morning, the vehicle was in the garage and was able to start it fine. Went to Autozone and O'Reilly to test the battery independently. In both places, the battery failed the load test even though it was charged 100%. It just does not hold sufficient charge. After all, it lasted 6 years and 11 months. The Mazda part number is JF02-18-520E but it may have been superseded to 0000-80-124F-WB. Would be nice if someone here who knows to verify. The battery is made by Panasonic and this is their part number 80D26L-MF. After searching online with the Panasonic part number, I found out that this battery fits several Honda and Acura vehicles. It goes for about $80 plus shipping for a total of about $100. I decided to replace mine with an Exide battery from Home Depot. It is $89 without the core plus sales tax. The reason to select Exide over the OEM and the numerous options from all the aftermarket retailers is that Exide is priced well, CCA is 800 and the warranty is 40 months. This is the EXIDE GLOBAL EXTREME Part 24FX.

The original Panasonic that the car came with from the factory is way better than the mazda battery the dealer sells. That dealer battery lasted me only a few months short of 4 years. I replaced it with an interstate I got at Costco with a 42 month free replacement. for 90 bucks. Couldn't have been happier. I paid 160 for the crappy dealer battery that I was sold.

The original Panasonic that the car came with from the factory is way better than the mazda battery the dealer sells. That dealer battery lasted me only a few months short of 4 years. I replaced it with an interstate I got at Costco with a 42 month free replacement. for 90 bucks. Couldn't have been happier. I paid 160 for the crappy dealer battery that I was sold.

When I worked in the Mazda parts department, our batteries for Mazda were supplied by a local Interstate dealer.

So the batteries that you got when working at this dealer were labeled interstate? The one I got from the dealer was a mazda branded battery, and it was only 630 cca. For the price I paid it should have lasted longer. I also noticed that the original Panasonic battery looked much more durable than the mazda one. At least with the interstate I got at Costco it comes with a 42 month free replacement.

Hi kornholio, which Interstate model did you buy from Costco? What is the CCA?

I believe that the size that the cx-9 uses is a 24F. It says interstate and the cca is 700. There is a label on it that says if you have to use the free replacement you bring it back to Costco which is more convenient for me. The one I purchased has the 42 month free replacement and if I remember correctly it was 83 dollars plus tax before the core which is 15 and you get it back when you return the old battery. So my final price was almost 91 dollars.

There are also dates on the battery I got it in September with a date of aug, so it was about a month old if that what the date is for not sure though.

I believe that the size that the cx-9 uses is a 24F. It says interstate and the cca is 700. There is a label on it that says if you have to use the free replacement you bring it back to Costco which is more convenient for me. The one I purchased has the 42 month free replacement and if I remember correctly it was 83 dollars plus tax before the core which is 15 and you get it back when you return the old battery. So my final price was almost 91 dollars.

Sounds like a good deal. I have a Costco membership but never thought of them as a battery source. Perhaps, you bought the Mega-Tron Plus? On the Interstate website, it says that this battery has a 30-month replacement period so I'd assume that the additional 12-months up to the 42-month replacement period comes from Costco?

So the batteries that you got when working at this dealer were labeled interstate? The one I got from the dealer was a mazda branded battery, and it was only 630 cca. For the price I paid it should have lasted longer. I also noticed that the original Panasonic battery looked much more durable than the mazda one. At least with the interstate I got at Costco it comes with a 42 month free replacement.

They weren't cast in the green and white of Interstate. They looked like standard black batteries with a Mazda label.

Back