2010 CX-9 Fog Light installation instructions

Interesting. The accessory brochure you have is different. My brochure is a print copy of the 2010 CX-9 vehicle, not an accessory guide. Inside it shows all three trim levels in a grid outlining which features are available for each, and which features are optional for each. Fog lamps are listed as only available on the Grand Touring trim showing a "-" under the Sport and Touring levels where "-" is footnoted as "Not available" as an option from the factory or the dealer. That begs the question, if it's not even a dealer installed option, is there something else missing the Grand Touring has that is required? And if not, why wouldn't Mazda make this a dealer option?

Using the OP's individual part numbers takes it over $500 and likely still needs bulbs.

I would recommend that you order the kit and switch online from Tasca Parts online of one of the other online parts house being operated by dealers. The pricing is a bit less. The stock bulbs are definitely way over priced form the dealer and I would go for aftermarket replacements which are brighter.

With regards to the accessory brochure, I downloaded this brochure from the Mazda USA site. The only thing is that you have to remove the bumper covers and the fender guards to get the parts installed. Not hard but it does look a bit time consuming.

For the 2010 CX-9 all models, the accessory part numbers for after factory install are:

Fog light Kit parts no diff from the first post in this thread

TE69-V7-220 (Kit - assemblies for Left and Right side of car)

GSM6-61-122A (switch)

TD11-V7-235A (Light bulbs - dunno if this is one or two) - Again I would go for aftermarket bulbs not factory bulbs as they want too much for them

Last edited:
I'm at the dealer now. They are installing my fog light for my 2010 cx9 sport. I looked tru the installation instructions and decited to take it to the dealer. To much to do. The dealer spend almost 5 hours to complete this task.

5 hours, the dealers I spoke to indicate 2 hours? It does look like it is a bit time consuming though.

5 hours, the dealers I spoke to indicate 2 hours? It does look like it is a bit time consuming though.

I payed only for 3 hours labor. I didnt realy care how long its going to take them to install it.

I payed only for 3 hours labor. I didnt realy care how long its going to take them to install it.

oh, ok. I went to see what needed to be done and it does not look that bad - take off the front lower covers, front bumper, parts of the fender guards, and then mount the Fog light assemblies into the Bumper, reinstall all parts. However it does look like it take a while as it is just tedious. I am getting familiar with the process. I think I could do it in a morning with photos. I think before I do it, I will take look at it close up and then photo that first, then once I get the fog lights, I will try it and take pics.

Last edited:
oh, that's cool, I didn't know they relocated the fog selector from the stalk.

OK, well I just received my Fog-light harness and switch and I am willing to eat crow or eat bridgestone tire here as it is a stalk switch. My dealer indicated that their 2011 GT had a "special" configuration. So You were correct it is on the stalk.

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for fog light kit and installation at the dealer?

If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for fog light kit and installation at the dealer?

Which member are you asking? I have not installed anything yet and I have yet to buy the fog light kit yet. I only have the switch and install kit (Wiring Harness and mounting parts.)

I'm at the dealer now. They are installing my fog light for my 2010 cx9 sport. I looked tru the installation instructions and decited to take it to the dealer. To much to do. The dealer spend almost 5 hours to complete this task.

Hey Max80ru,

How much did you end up paying? I was quoted by dealer for 617 installed.

I finished installing fogs in my 2011 touring last weekend. I posted the harness and foglight installation manuals in the "rewire fogs to run without headlights" post in the Audio and Electronics section. The whole process looks intimidating, but once you get going on it, it really is not that bad. It took me about 3.5 hours to do the install but now that I know how to do it, I could do it in a lot less time. Here are a few tips to make it go faster.

1. Put the front end on jacks it will make it easier to take off the foglight access covers. Also jacking the car lower the front wheels and will give you more room to reach the hole in the firewall where you feed the harness and install the grommet. For an even more room and an easier time you could remove the drivers side wheel.
2. You don't need to remove the entire mud guard. After you jack the car you can reach the hole in the firewall partially removing the rear half of the guard. The hole is tough to find, look for the hood release cable, it is right next to it. You will need someone with small hands to help, it is in a really tight spot.
3. You don't need to pull off the bumper assembly. You can install the lights through the access holes underneath. Again jacking the car up makes this job easier.

Hope this helps.

BTW - I am hoping someone can help answer my question in the "rewire fogs to run without headlights" thread. Hopefully someone else with a similar interest that has to install fogs will read it and reply.

Update - I figured out myself how to rewire the fogs so that they can be turned on without the headlighs on. Go to my post in that thread for the answer.

Finally getting my Fog Lights, I will hopefully post my results for you all soon.

I finished installing fogs in my 2011 touring last weekend. I posted the harness and foglight installation manuals in the "rewire fogs to run without headlights" post in the Audio and Electronics section. The whole process looks intimidating, but once you get going on it, it really is not that bad. It took me about 3.5 hours to do the install but now that I know how to do it, I could do it in a lot less time. Here are a few tips to make it go faster.

1. Put the front end on jacks it will make it easier to take off the foglight access covers. Also jacking the car lower the front wheels and will give you more room to reach the hole in the firewall where you feed the harness and install the grommet. For an even more room and an easier time you could remove the drivers side wheel.
2. You don't need to remove the entire mud guard. After you jack the car you can reach the hole in the firewall partially removing the rear half of the guard. The hole is tough to find, look for the hood release cable, it is right next to it. You will need someone with small hands to help, it is in a really tight spot.
3. You don't need to pull off the bumper assembly. You can install the lights through the access holes underneath. Again jacking the car up makes this job easier.

Hope this helps.

BTW - I am hoping someone can help answer my question in the "rewire fogs to run without headlights" thread. Hopefully someone else with a similar interest that has to install fogs will read it and reply.

We I got everything installed except for finding the hole in firewall to get the cable inside of the car. I can see a small plastic plug next to the hood release cable but that does not look big enough (looks to be approximately 1/4" or less) to get the cable connector (a bit large than 1/4") through it, and it is definitely not large enough for the grommet (elongated over 1/2" in width, at least 5/8" in length) in my kit to mount in it. I used my snake camera to look around and I only saw one hole that seems to be large enough for the connector and the grommet, but it appears to be going the wrong way horizontally behind the dash in a compartment that does not appear to open into the car where I can get a hold of the connector end of the cable.

Any suggestions, anyone? Before I bail and let the dealer finish it off?

Ok, I finally figured it out. the hole is too small, However, by disassembling the connector, pushing the harness through, then reassembling the connector, worked like a charm. Should be finished this week. Then it is on to rewiring to allow me to turn on the fogs separately from the Headlights.

Im just doing this job on my new to me 2012 cx9 and am having trouble with the switch. The instructions say there should be a blue/yellow and black/red wire at the switch and if it's not there they provide a way of putting it there. My switch has a black wire where the blue/yellow is supposed to go according to the instructions. Anyone have any ideas? I tried "hard coding" the wires to see if the lights will come on and in certain terminals I can hear the relax click but no lights :(

Back