2010 CX-9 Fog Light installation instructions

Doctor J.

:
2010 Mazda CX-9 AWD Touring
Does anyone have the fog light, harness and switch install instructions for the 2010 CX-9?

Specifically for the following accessory numbers:
GS3M-66-122A - Switch
TD11-V7-235A - Installation Kit/Harness
TE69 - V7-220 - Lights

Just want to get an idea of what I'm in for if I decide to this myself.

Thanks

There's a post with the manuals you're looking for (Mazda CX-9 Accessories Installation Guides) in Accesories

You're right. I just mentioned it cos u said "Just want to get an idea of what I'm in for if I decide to this myself." Which for what was said in that post isn't a simple task

I just got the 2011 CX-9 and would also like to install a fog lamp kit on my own. On the 'smiling grill' design they would appear to just be fog lamps without integrated turn signals. Can anyone confirm this? That would seem to make installation much simpler, no?

I don't know about 2011 specific, but let me take a stab, based on my industry experience: You would remove the fog fillers in the bumper, they unsnap, then you would install the new fog lights and fog bezels into the bumper, and plug the fog lights in. (almost every vehicle now has fog light plugs/pigtails behind the bumpers, but the fog lights are just not there due to package options) Then you would need to remove the steering column trim, unfasten the left stalk, trace the stalk wiring all the way to the harness/plug, and unplug the stalk, put in the new stalk and that should be it. The only thing i'm not sure if is 1) if you have to take the steering wheel off, and 2) the wiring harness part TD11-V7-235A, not sure if that is harness for behind the bumper, or a harness for inside the steering column. If I had to guess, it would be a 2-4 hour project. Hardest part obviously would be the column business.

That would be a task I'd have to handle when my wife was NOT around. I think she'd freak if I started tearing out the steering just 72 hours after purchase! But yes, there seem to just be fillers in the fog lamp space. I'd have to hope the kit came with decent instructions.

I don't know about 2011 specific, but let me take a stab, based on my industry experience: You would remove the fog fillers in the bumper, they unsnap, then you would install the new fog lights and fog bezels into the bumper, and plug the fog lights in. (almost every vehicle now has fog light plugs/pigtails behind the bumpers, but the fog lights are just not there due to package options) Then you would need to remove the steering column trim, unfasten the left stalk, trace the stalk wiring all the way to the harness/plug, and unplug the stalk, put in the new stalk and that should be it. The only thing i'm not sure if is 1) if you have to take the steering wheel off, and 2) the wiring harness part TD11-V7-235A, not sure if that is harness for behind the bumper, or a harness for inside the steering column. If I had to guess, it would be a 2-4 hour project. Hardest part obviously would be the column business.

Actually, why would you need to remove the stalk when the Fog lights have there own switch that is located on the left side of the IC? The switch for the fog lights is located on that panel to the left of the 2010 - 2011's where the TCS OFF, the BSM, switches are located if you have those options. I do not think you have to do anything with the steering column at all. I looked at a 2011 and my 2010 and there are 4 switches that can be added in that location.

That would be a task I'd have to handle when my wife was NOT around. I think she'd freak if I started tearing out the steering just 72 hours after purchase! But yes, there seem to just be fillers in the fog lamp space. I'd have to hope the kit came with decent instructions.

Supposedly it does.

oh, that's cool, I didn't know they relocated the fog selector from the stalk.

Yep, I was looking for it to be on the stalk like most vehicles, but since it is not, it makes it easier to configure it so that the fogs can come one separate from the headlights if you want that. That would also allow for one to use HiD replacements for the fogs and use them as Driving lights? Very bright ones LOL!

yeah... i'm not thrilled about the fix/writeup to wire the fogs to the seat heater relay, that's just asking for trouble down the road.

yeah... i'm not thrilled about the fix/writeup to wire the fogs to the seat heater relay, that's just asking for trouble down the road.

Hmmm, I dunno, the main diff is when the power is available, if the fog light switch is off, the foglights will not come on, from what I gathered. So I did not think it was a huge risk with that modification? The relay is fused and so is the seat heater power. No where near what I did when I retrofitted my Benz's Navigation system using the car's original harness and scavenging cables form the retrofit harness - works perfectly for almost 2 years now.

Actually, why would you need to remove the stalk when the Fog lights have there own switch that is located on the left side of the IC? The switch for the fog lights is located on that panel to the left of the 2010 - 2011's where the TCS OFF, the BSM, switches are located if you have those options. I do not think you have to do anything with the steering column at all. I looked at a 2011 and my 2010 and there are 4 switches that can be added in that location.

The 2011 owner manual illustrates the fog lamp switch as part of the stalk, not a separate dash switch. (p 5-68) It also illustrates the 4 switches above the coinbox as Headlight Leveling, TCS off switch, Power Liftgate switch, and BSM off switch. (p 1.2) I'd have to conclude the fog lamp controls are part of the stalk and not a separate switch.

Last edited:
The 2011 owner manual illustrates the fog lamp switch as part of the stalk, not a separate dash switch. (p 5-68) It also illustrates the 4 switches above the coinbox as Headlight Leveling, TCS off switch, Power Liftgate switch, and BSM off switch. (p 1.2) I'd have to conclude the fog lamp controls are part of the stalk and not a separate switch.

The 2011 I saw in a show room had the fog light switch as part of a 4 switch ensemble on the left side off the IC and below the stalk.The switch on this car indicated Fog Lights, so I dunno. I do not have a 2011, but the kit for my car indicates the switch is separate from the stalk.

Note, the Sirius retrofit kit has an antenna that glues to the roof instead of the factory mount which requires that one must drill a hole in the roof to mount with no wires exposed. So it could be that if you add fog lights after factory install, you get a separate switch configuration?

I have a 2010 factory brochure. In the package/options comparison grid of the 3 trim levels it shows the fog lamps as standard on the Grand Touring model, but doesn't even list them as an option for Sport or Touring trims. MazdaUSA.com doesn't show fog lamps as an accessory either. Are they even available as an OEM option or is there an aftermarket vender?

For the sport or touring package, it is not an "option." The only way to to do it is to buy all the parts that it is lacking... the lights, the bezels, the wiring, the switch, per the first post in this thread. It's not considered an "accessory" but rather, you go to the dealer and tell them what you want to do and they help you figure it out. Kinda like the 20" wheels are not an option for the sport or the touring, but you can walk into the dealer and have them order the 20" wheels if you want, and they will point you in the right direction for what tires you will need to buy. Same goes for the fogs.

I have a 2010 factory brochure. In the package/options comparison grid of the 3 trim levels it shows the fog lamps as standard on the Grand Touring model, but doesn't even list them as an option for Sport or Touring trims. MazdaUSA.com doesn't show fog lamps as an accessory either. Are they even available as an OEM option or is there an aftermarket vender?

The parts list identified in the first post is correct. Also see the brochure atttached for the 2010 CX-9. It shows fog-lights as an accessory option and provides the part number for the kit.

Attachments

• 2010_cx9_acc_brochure.pdf
    763.8 KB · Views: 548
The parts list identified in the first post is correct. Also see the brochure atttached for the 2010 CX-9. It shows fog-lights as an accessory option and provides the part number for the kit.

Interesting. The accessory brochure you have is different. My brochure is a print copy of the 2010 CX-9 vehicle, not an accessory guide. Inside it shows all three trim levels in a grid outlining which features are available for each, and which features are optional for each. Fog lamps are listed as only available on the Grand Touring trim showing a "-" under the Sport and Touring levels where "-" is footnoted as "Not available" as an option from the factory or the dealer. That begs the question, if it's not even a dealer installed option, is there something else missing the Grand Touring has that is required? And if not, why wouldn't Mazda make this a dealer option?

Using the OP's individual part numbers takes it over $500 and likely still needs bulbs.

Last edited:
I'm at the dealer now. They are installing my fog light for my 2010 cx9 sport. I looked tru the installation instructions and decited to take it to the dealer. To much to do. The dealer spend almost 5 hours to complete this task.

Back