2002 ES Air hose split - Don't let this happen to you.

:
San Diego, CA
:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
Airbox%20Snorkle.jpg

I was changing the air filter in my daughter's ES and while holding the airbox lid, suddenly felt a release of lid pressure with my left hand as I was installing the filter.

My advice: If your air hose that connects the air box to the intake is the original one, REPLACE IT, ASAP!

Until you do get the part, you might want to carry around a roll of duct tape, just in case your car starts bucking and stalling. Wrapping the split with tape will at least get you home.
Installation of the new hose is fairly easy with a socket set and some paper towels (Your hands will get dirty).

Part number: FP4713220A
Dealership cost: $66 + tax.

Check your front and rear engine mounts for cracking and tearing as well. Typically if the air intake boot tears its becaise one or both of the engine mounts have failed.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I will do that, as well. I believe this one failed because of the tension I was applying when lifting the airbox lid, coupled with the fact that all rubbers gradually lose their plasticizers, therefore becoming hard and brittle. This is true of most belts, hoses, and plastic parts.

This is a common problem as these parts get older, I got mine off rockauto when I had to replace mine.

Definitely, if you have a few days to wait, Rockauto is an excellent source. I had to get one in a hurry and it did cost me more.

Back