20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

I don't put much faith in that chart. What repairs would cost $2,300 on a vehicle still under factory warranty? Our CX-5 is about 27 months old and has cost us $0 in repairs. It actually hasn't even been back to the dealer.

Maybe the costs in the chart for Repair and Maintenance are based on the inflated dealer's prices? That's the only thing I could think of. My 2018 CX-9 has 53k kms on it, I spend $100-150 CAD on it per year for oil and filter changes. I haven't spent a dime on repairs yet.

As far as repairs that could near $2300 without falling under drivetrain, basically anything electrical I guess. Infotainment display, auto-folding mirror motors, backup camera, headlights/foglights, power mirrors/door locks, sunroof, power seats, ambient LED lighting, safety sensors, etc. If the dealer is doing all of the work, it doesn't take that much for the bill to get there.

Of course, if you DIY and source your own parts, you can probably stay well under that cost. But as @Unobtanium has mentioned before, he prefers to let the dealer do all the legwork.

As far as repairs that could near $2300 without falling under drivetrain, basically anything electrical I guess. Infotainment display, auto-folding mirror motors, backup camera, headlights/foglights, power mirrors/door locks, sunroof, power seats, ambient LED lighting, safety sensors, etc. If the dealer is doing all of the work, it doesn't take that much for the bill to get there.
But, all of that would be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty, which is why I mentioned it. I can't imagine the average CX-9 needs that much repair outside of warranty in the 2yr/30k mile window in that chart. This is why I doubt the accuracy of the cost to own he referenced.

I don't put much faith in that chart. What repairs would cost $2,300 on a vehicle still under factory warranty? Our CX-5 is about 27 months old and has cost us $0 in repairs. It actually hasn't even been back to the dealer.
Plenty, warranty is only 36K miles.

Maybe the costs in the chart for Repair and Maintenance are based on the inflated dealer's prices? That's the only thing I could think of. My 2018 CX-9 has 53k kms on it, I spend $100-150 CAD on it per year for oil and filter changes. I haven't spent a dime on repairs yet.

Of course, if you DIY and source your own parts, you can probably stay well under that cost. But as @Unobtanium has mentioned before, he prefers to let the dealer do all the legwork.
Yes, I do. When I was growing up, I had to do all the work. Now, I don't. So I pay $2400 and now the dealer is on the hook for about 5 years. Pretty cool feature. Easily worth as much convenience as the turbo to me, which cost similar, lol

But, all of that would be covered under the 3yr/36k warranty, which is why I mentioned it. I can't imagine the average CX-9 needs that much repair outside of warranty in the 2yr/30k mile window in that chart. This is why I doubt the accuracy of the cost to own he referenced.

If I remember correctly, he clocks a lot of mileage in a short time on his cars, so it might make a little more sense for him with that in mind.

Edit: Yep, in an earlier post in this thread, he states that he's now at 62k miles, so he's well out of the basic warranty period.

Ok, I see what I did. I inadvertently added up the maintenance costs for 2 years 30k miles in that chart. That shows $2,400, which also doesn't seem legit. What maintenance is required on a CX-9 that costs that much by 30k miles? The repair cost in that window shows $400, which also seems crazy, since the vehicle is under the manufacture's warranty until 36k miles.

Here's the chart Uno linked earlier for reference:

Ok, I see what I did. I inadvertently added up the maintenance costs for 2 years 30k miles in that chart. That shows $2,400, which also doesn't seem legit. What maintenance is required on a CX-9 that costs that much by 30k miles? The repair cost in that window shows $400, which also seems crazy, since the vehicle is under the manufacture's warranty until 36k miles.

Here's the chart Uno linked earlier for reference:

Copied from the link:

How We Calculate True Cost to Own®

The True Cost to Own® calculations use the following set of assumptions:

• Ownership expenses are estimated for a five-year period
  • You will drive 15,000 miles per year
  • You are financing the vehicle using traditional financing, not lease financing
  • You have an above-average credit rating for the purpose of determining your finance rate
  • You are making a 10% down payment on the vehicle at purchase
  • Your loan term is 60 months
Using proprietary formulas, we calculate the five-year costs for the seven cost categories that make up the TCO® (depreciation, insurance, financing, taxes & fees, fuel, maintenance and repairs). We also take into account any applicable federal tax credit.

Maintenance​

This is the estimated expense of the two types of maintenance: scheduled and unscheduled. Scheduled maintenance is the performance of factory-recommended items at periodic mileage and/or calendar intervals. Unscheduled maintenance includes wheel alignment and the replacement of items such as the battery, brakes, headlamps, hoses, exhaust system parts, taillight/turn signal bulbs, tires and wiper blades/inserts. Estimated tire replacement costs are supplied to Edmunds.com by The Tire Rack, Inc.

Repairs​

This is the estimated expense for repairs not covered by the vehicle manufacturer's warranties over the five years from the date of purchase, assuming 15,000 miles are driven annually. We estimate this expense based on the cost of a typical "zero deductible" extended warranty for the vehicle, minus the estimated amount of that cost that consists of the warranty provider's overhead and profit.

It's all basically an estimation. I'm sure the scheduled/unscheduled maintenance costs will vary from dealer to dealer, same with repair costs (especially if independent shops are involved, as they would/could use remanufactured parts and may have a cheaper shop rate). IMO the chart is best used simply as a point of reference.

... IMO the chart is best used simply as a point of reference.
It was presented as justification for shelling out $2,800 for a 3rd party extended warranty. I agree that it should just be used as a point of reference between competing models, but nothing else. It's about as far from factual as you can get. :)

I will keep my comments regarding how I feel about extended warranties out of this thread going forward. I just have a problem when facts are misrepresented.

Is there a way Uno can update the title from time to time, in order to show where his miles are at? Just looking at the title it seems about average for those with a 2019 to be at 20k miles. When first posted, it was a lot.

It was presented as justification for shelling out $2,800 for a 3rd party extended warranty. I agree that it should just be used as a point of reference between competing models, but nothing else. It's about as far from factual as you can get. :)

I will keep my comments regarding how I feel about extended warranties out of this thread going forward. I just have a problem when facts are misrepresented.

Is there a way Uno can update the title from time to time, in order to show where his miles are at? Just looking at the title it seems about average for those with a 2019 to be at 20k miles. When first posted, it was a lot.

Yes you're right, but @Unobtanium presented the chart to justify his own purchase of the extended warranty. His reasons may differ from yours or mine, and while it may make sense for him, it may not for others.

If anyone is misrepresenting anything, it may be Edmunds with their seemingly inflated costs. As I mentioned, I consider it a reference to use in research. Having that reference provides some data to work from, a starting point. IMO that's all it is, a starting point.

Also Uno can certainly change the title if he wants to, he just has to edit the original post.

Yes you're right, but @Unobtanium presented the chart to justify his own purchase of the extended warranty. His reasons may differ from yours or mine, and while it may make sense for him, it may not for others.

If anyone is misrepresenting anything, it may be Edmunds with their seemingly inflated costs. As I mentioned, I consider it a reference to use in research. Having that reference provides some data to work from, a starting point. IMO that's all it is, a starting point.

Also Uno can certainly change the title if he wants to, he just has to edit the original post.
My experience backs up Edmund's. My 2015 cost around $1.5K in repairs by the time it reached 106K miles and I traded it off. Also, that's internal pricing at the dealer, as they repaired it AFTER I traded it to them, and I pulled the service ticket to see how much it cost. Based on Edmunds and my own experience, I think this warranty will pay off. So far, I'm well over 1/3 of the way into it.

Okay, I got my refund in processing today. $1335 of the $2400ish is coming back to me. During the course of ownership, I utilized the warranty to the tune of $1100ish. I don't recall exactly, but I used it to replace both folding mirror motors, and once it was over $600 a mirror, and once it was $550ish a mirror, IIRC, I have had 4 replaced, 2 under bumper-to-bumper). I also got a rental car which I do not know the price of (it was a new CX9 the dealer had.).

In short, the warranty ended up costing me nothing as far as I can tell, so I got peace of mind for 80K miles for free, pretty much. Like I said, It's a loaded Mazda...buy the warranty. Had I kept it longer, I would have pulled well ahead with that warranty!

Always. Buy. The. Warranty. It's done me a solid! Just MY experience. YMMV, but there's the data and why I do what I do. Experience > other stuff. This was a 3 year case study in vindication :)

Last edited:
For you Uno, definitely buy a warranty. Personally I've had my CX-5 for 8 1/2 years now and 106k miles and I've not had $1.5k in repairs.
Ah, yes, I got the warranty on the Toyota. Why? Because it's fully transferrable and actually through Toyota. That's value-added if I resell before it's up, as well as the fact that the HVAC in the R4P is the most complex one I know of in a vehicle. I have fears, well founded or not.

Okay, I got my refund in processing today. $1335 of the $2400ish is coming back to me. During the course of ownership, I utilized the warranty to the tune of $1100ish. I don't recall exactly...

In short, the warranty ended up costing me nothing as far as I can tell, so I got peace of mind for 80K miles for free, pretty much. Like I said, It's a loaded Mazda...buy the warranty. Had I kept it longer, I would have pulled well ahead with that warranty!

Always. Buy. The. Warranty. It's done me a solid! Just MY experience. YMMV, but there's the data and why I do what I do. Experience > other stuff. This was a 3 year case study in vindication :)
You previously acknowledged having incredibly back luck with vehicles...claiming you've had multi-thousand dollar failures UNDER 100K miles in EVERY vehicle you've ever owned.

That track record is quite astounding/unheard of and likely doesn't apply to anyone buying mainstream vehicles in the modern era.
Surely you understand that you are an extreme outlier, so the "Always. Buy. The. Warranty." advice really only applies to you.

Besides, even with your horrendous luck, you still would have been better off without the warranty...
- You financed the warranty with the vehicle, which you previously said cost $460 in interest.
- The ridiculously overpriced mirror repair costs you cited are not what any rational consumer would pay.

So at a minimum, you would have come out several hundred dollars ahead by just paying for repairs out of pocket.

I agree. As I may have mentioned, of the 26 auto companies listed by CR for best to worst reliability, Mazda is number 1. Buying an extended warranty for a new Mazda is the last thing most people should want to do. My 2014 has been absolutely perfect and so has my 08 MX5 with an exception of a failed thermostat. Even my 1989 MX6 GT required less than $300 of repairs after 20 years.

Cool. Which of my bills you gonna pay to get me to value your opinion on how I spend my money,lol!

*interest was calculated to term. It didnt reach term, obviously. C'mon...

My 2015 cx5 suffered catastrophic fuel system failure (pump and fpr) at 106k. Dealer spent $1500 to fix it after I traded it in.
My 2019 was suffering 2 mirror motor failures every 20-30kmi.
So literally every mazda Ive had, had issues.

Back