20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

*interest was calculated to term. It didnt reach term, obviously. C'mon...
I'm just highlighting the fact that your "the warranty ended up costing me nothing" claim is incorrect, as you aren't factoring in ALL of the costs.
My point still stands...you would have come out several hundred dollars ahead (at a minimum) by just paying for repairs out of pocket.

I'm just highlighting the fact that your "the warranty ended up costing me nothing" claim is incorrect, as you aren't factoring in ALL of the costs.
My point still stands...you would have come out several hundred dollars ahead (at a minimum) by just paying for repairs out of pocket.
So you're saying I paid $200ish for peace of mind for almost 50K miles? Sounds like a deal to me.

So you're saying I paid $200ish for peace of mind for almost 50K miles? Sounds like a deal to me.
You have repeatedly claimed, in multiple threads/posts, that you have/will "come out ahead" or "break even" or "the $2800 warranty cost me nothing".
This is simply wrong, as you just acknowledged.

I'm sure it is because you get a hard time on here for your advocacy of expensive extended warranties, so you feel the need to prove that they are somehow a good deal/smart decision, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Though I don't agree with it, your new position/argument...that you like to spend hundreds of dollars for "peace of mind" during a very narrow time period...is much more sensible.

You have repeatedly claimed, in multiple threads/posts, that you have/will "come out ahead" or "break even" or "the $2800 warranty cost me nothing".

I'm sure it is because you get a hard time on here for your advocacy of expensive extended warranties, so you feel the need to prove that they are somehow a good deal/smart decision, despite the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Though I don't agree with it, your new position/argument...that you like to spend hundreds of dollars for "peace of mind" during a very narrow time period...is much more sensible.

There are only a couple of people in this thread that continually give Uno a hard time for voicing his opinion.

Yes, I am happy to spend $200 for 50K miles of peace of mind. Also, I was on track, had I kept the car for another 70K miles, to quite definitely get the full "$2800" and then some out of the warranty. You think $2800 worth of stuff won't break in 150K miles? Go ahead and keep your CX9 for 150K miles and tally that up for us why don't ya, and then tell me I'm wrong, eh?

Yes, I am happy to spend $200 for 50K miles of peace of mind.
The "peace of mind" argument is perfectly legitimate (though not fiscally rational) for those scared of paying out of pocket for repairs. But that is totally different than your earlier claims that these expensive warranties "cost you nothing."

Also, I was on track, had I kept the car for another 70K miles, to quite definitely get the full "$2800" and then some out of the warranty.
This hypothetical "had I kept the car for another 70K miles" argument is completely invalid. The fact is, you did NOT keep the car that long. You got rid of it well before 150K miles, just like you did with car before that. This is one reason to not buy these types of warranties.

You think $2800 worth of stuff won't break in 150K miles? Go ahead and keep your CX9 for 150K miles and tally that up for us why don't ya, and then tell me I'm wrong, eh?
No, I absolutely don't think $2800 worth of stuff will break over 150K miles.
I've owned 4 vehicles that I've driven over 150K miles each. I spent less than $1000 in repairs across all 4 vehicles COMBINED within the first 150K miles. (I can provide a detailed breakout if you'd like).

But let's say I do have $2800 worth of repairs in 150K miles...I would still be better off without the $2800 warranty...
- I get to keep that money in my account, earning interest, instead of enriching the warranty company.
- I don't lose the money if I decide to sell before 150K miles, car gets totaled, ect.
- I decide how/when/where to make the repairs vs. being forced to use the dealership
- I can fix the issue for substantially less than the stealership's $2800 pricing

I've owned 7 Mazdas and none cost me more than a few hundred dollars after 100,000 miles. Consumer Reports collects data on tens of thousands of Mazdas, every year. I'm certainly not saying that you are not telling the truth, but odds are good that an extended warranty for three years is not worthwhile for the average Mazda buyer.

I've owned 7 Mazdas and none cost me more than a few hundred dollars after 100,000 miles. Consumer Reports collects data on tens of thousands of Mazdas, every year. I'm certainly not saying that you are not telling the truth, but odds are good that an extended warranty for three years is not worthwhile for the average Mazda buyer.
Thats good stuff. Both of mine have required well into the 4 figures by around 100k mi for non-routine repairs.

The "peace of mind" argument is perfectly legitimate (though not fiscally rational) for those scared of paying out of pocket for repairs. But that is totally different than your earlier claims that these expensive warranties "cost you nothing."

This hypothetical "had I kept the car for another 70K miles" argument is completely invalid. The fact is, you did NOT keep the car that long. You got rid of it well before 150K miles, just like you did with car before that. This is one reason to not buy these types of warranties.

No, I absolutely don't think $2800 worth of stuff will break over 150K miles.
I've owned 4 vehicles that I've driven over 150K miles each. I spent less than $1000 in repairs across all 4 vehicles COMBINED within the first 150K miles. (I can provide a detailed breakout if you'd like).

But let's say I do have $2800 worth of repairs in 150K miles...I would still be better off without the $2800 warranty...
- I get to keep that money in my account, earning interest, instead of enriching the warranty company.
- I don't lose the money if I decide to sell before 150K miles, car gets totaled, ect.
- I decide how/when/where to make the repairs vs. being forced to use the dealership
- I can fix the issue for substantially less than the stealership's $2800 pricing
Id advise you to put your $2800 into stable stocks with healthy dividend, if you want to get into really making good moves.

Id advise you to put your $2800 into stable stocks with healthy dividend, if you want to get into really making good moves.
That is certainly a viable option for some people.
However, since you are so risk-averse and scared of having to pay for an out-of-pocket repair, you'd be better off using a 3-yr CD, I Bond or money market account.

As you acknowledged earlier, doing what I suggest above is the better financial decision. Although some people like you would rather burn several hundred/thousand dollars on a warranty in order to have "peace of mind" and sleep better at night.

Back