20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Actually, on the Cr-V forum they are claiming the opposite. UMRdyldo (yes, actual username) ran a bunch of logs that showed higher octane made the issue worse.

I've read the same thing regarding CR-Vs.

I cannot find any data on the web regarding the effect of premium gas on OD in engines that adjust their timing (or richness) based upon detected octane. There are a few articles on "Does premium gas help reduce OD?" in general, but we're really trying to see if the engine's timing (or richness) change affects OD, not the mechanism that caused such engine changes. In Mazdas, we're [obviously] only discussing the turbo.

I don't recall who here I've seen make the "premium fuel reduces OD in the turbo" assertion...more than once. I just searched and can't find his comments. I'd start a new thread specifically to discuss this, but absent specific lab tests & data, it's all conjecture.

Nice write up. Ive had my GT-R for the same amount of time but half the miles. I agree with everything you said, but some things bother me more than you.

The transmission is towards the top of my complaints. I think you described the issues quite well. Temperature is a huge factor in mine. Shift flair on the 1-2 when cold is terrible. 100% gone once at operating temp. It also acts confused when slowing down to around 10-15 mph for a turn. Get back on it and it hesitates, bit of a flair, then settles. If I manually select 2nd in the same scenario, its not an issue(unless its not at operating temp). I suppose it could be a result of the AAS someone posted. Although it seems like that will hold gears longer, which shouldnt result in flairs.

Second to that is the seats, which you also noted. I dont have much meat on my bones. My thighs are almost throbbing after an hour.

I am surprised you didnt note the power loss issue that occurs below freezing. Did you ever get any answers on that?

:
CX5 GT-R
Nice write up. I*ve had my GT-R for the same amount of time but half the miles. I agree with everything you said, but some things bother me more than you.

The transmission is towards the top of my complaints. I think you described the *issues* quite well. Temperature is a huge factor in mine. Shift flair on the 1-2 when cold is terrible. 100% gone once at operating temp. It also acts confused when slowing down to around 10-15 mph for a turn. Get back on it and it hesitates, bit of a flair, then settles. If I manually select 2nd in the same scenario, it*s not an issue(unless it*s not at operating temp). I suppose it could be a result of the AAS someone posted. Although it seems like that will hold gears longer, which shouldn*t result in flairs.

Second to that is the seats, which you also noted. I don*t have much meat on my bones. My thighs are almost throbbing after an hour.

I am surprised you didn*t note the power loss issue that occurs below freezing. Did you ever get any answers on that?

I should have noted those, and no, no answers have been had, although a tech at my dealership does have a CX9 and reports same.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I should have noted those, and no, no answers have been had, although a tech at my dealership does have a CX9 and reports same.

Could you describe the power loss issue again, just for posterity? It's starting to get colder here (3c as I type this), and I wouldn't mind testing for the issue on my own CX-9.

:
CX5 GT-R
Could you describe the power loss issue again, just for posterity? It's starting to get colder here (3c as I type this), and I wouldn't mind testing for the issue on my own CX-9.

Below about 20*F, it is as though it does not generate boost. It is as though you removed the turbo. I mean this literally, and without nuance.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Below about 20*F, it is as though it does not generate boost. It is as though you removed the turbo. I mean this literally, and without nuance.

Thanks. When it gets cold enough, I'll test for this issue.

Does the power loss issue disappear once the engine has reached operating temps?

:
CX5 GT-R
I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but Consumer Reports' recent issue listed the most to least reliable vehicle manufacturers of all 26 brands sold in the US. Personally, I would never get an extended warranty for any of the top placers. Take a look.
Who Makes the Most Reliable New Cars? - Consumer Reports
I'm at 62,4xx miles. My warranty cost $2400. I have this far used it to cover $1100ish in repairs, as well as had the option of a loaner car not at my expense, during the several days it took for the dealership to obtain the parts. I'm pretty sure I'll get the other $1300 worth out of it in the next 87,6xx miles.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I'm at 62,4xx miles. My warranty cost $2400. I have this far used it to cover $1100ish in repairs, as well as had the option of a loaner car not at my expense, during the several days it took for the dealership to obtain the parts. I'm pretty sure I'll get the other $1300 worth out of it in the next 87,6xx miles.
Can you break out what cost the warranty company ~$1,100?

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
If it does pay off, you're probably in the minority of Mazda owners who get their money back on an extended warranty. Now if you invested that money in bitcoins or even the Dow Jones Industrial Average, you'd be far wealthier.

:
CX5 GT-R
Can you break out what cost the warranty company ~$1,100?
Yes, the folding power mirrors break every 20-25K miles like clockwork. Each one costs $550ish in labor and parts for the dealer to repair. I have now killed a total of 4 of these (2 sets), as I am at 62K miles. I'm going to get wayyyy more than that warranty cost me in repairs by 150K miles. The first set was covered under OEM 3/36, hence only $1100 on the warranty so far. I'm 30% through the term, and 45% through the cost, already, and so so so many more parts to break in the next 90K miles nearly.

:
CX5 GT-R
If it does pay off, you're probably in the minority of Mazda owners who get their money back on an extended warranty. Now if you invested that money in bitcoins or even the Dow Jones Industrial Average, you'd be far wealthier.
I financed it in with the loan, so not really. But by your logic, if instead of a CX5, I'd just bought a $5000 high mileage car, and had invested the other $25K into BTC-USD 1 year ago, I'd be able to buy a new X5 M50i, so we really can keep fantasizing, lol!

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
Yes, the folding power mirrors break every 20-25K miles like clockwork. Each one costs $550ish in labor and parts for the dealer to repair. I have now killed a total of 4 of these (2 sets), as I am at 62K miles. I'm going to get wayyyy more than that warranty cost me in repairs by 150K miles. The first set was covered under OEM 3/36, hence only $1100 on the warranty so far. I'm 30% through the term, and 45% through the cost, already, and so so so many more parts to break in the next 90K miles nearly.
Oh, just the mirrors. Why do you think miles has something to do with their failure? It would seem logical that it would have more to do with how many times they're cycled, than how many miles they've seen.

While, I've seen others with mirror issues, it seems hit-or-miss. Others have just turned the feature off and forgot about it. Do you think their function was worth the $2k+ 'investment' in a warranty?

:
2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed
Oh, just the mirrors. Why do you think miles has something to do with their failure? It would seem logical that it would have more to do with how many times they're cycled, than how many miles they've seen.

While, I've seen others with mirror issues, it seems hit-or-miss. Others have just turned the feature off and forgot about it. Do you think their function was worth the $2k+ 'investment' in a warranty?
Some cars have easy access auto seat and steering wheel movement when the driver's door is opened. I always turn this off since buying new motors is most likely not inexpensive. I would probably do the same if my car came with auto folding side view mirrors, especially if they cost that much.