20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Brakes: The brakes offer decent feedback, and are what I'd call "average". Nothing about them stands out---good, or bad. "They're brakes..." is what I'd say about them. These are still single piston, but the rotors are larger in the GT-R and Signature models, being 12.6" up front, and 11.9" for the rear, vs 11.7" and 11.9", respectively, in other other models, and I can't tell a lick of difference in how the vehicles stop.
Wtf, I didn't know the turbh had 2 piston caliper.. gonna see if the bracket is different could be a swap *
Parts catalog shows a single piston.
5471620_7.png

https://parts.coxmazda.com/p/Mazda_...c-Brake-Caliper-Left/67992153/KAY02671XA.html
Apparently CX-5 GT-R and Sig with 2.5T turbo do have 2-piston floating caliper at front, and GT, Touring, and Sport with 2.5L have single piston floating caliper at front. Further, this bigger 2-piston front caliper makes the factory spare coming with the car unmountable!

2018 CX-5 Front Brake 2-Piston Floating Caliper Torque Spec.jpg
attachment.php

2018 CX-5 Front Brake Single Piston Floating Caliper Torque Spec.jpg
attachment.php

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Nice write-up Uno. The non-turbo 2019 accelerated like a dog worse than my 2014. Everyone seems to like the GT-R/Sig though.

Odd to see you so happy with a CX-5. :p

Last edited:

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Apparently CX-5 GT-R and Sig with 2.5T turbo do have 2-piston floating caliper at front, and GT, Touring, and Sport with 2.5L have single piston floating caliper at front. Further, this bigger 2-piston front caliper makes the factory spare coming with the car unmountable!

Spare shouldn't go on the front anyway, as stated in the manual. If a front tire is damaged, you're supposed to rotate a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back until you can get to a shop to have the tire repaired or replaced.

:
CX5 GT-R
Nice write-up Uno. The non-turbo 2019 accelerated like a dog worse than my 2014. Everyone seems to like the GT-R/Sig though.

Odd to see you so happy with a CX-5. :p

Look back at my posts from 2015. Literally everything I disliked, Mazda fixed. Magically, without ruining anything I liked.

-loud/no insulation
-floppy mirrors, hood, and in general tin-can construction
-okay for its class, but slow in general
-lack of satelite radio (trim level issue there maybe too. I'll take the blame here)
-very poor insulation in the winter. Felt like cold wind replaced the floor heat almost due to NO insulation.

ALL of this got fixed with the GTR and Signature.

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD

View attachment 221527
attachment.php

View attachment 221528
attachment.php

That's race car brake hardware; gonna have to look up the p/n for that bracket. Maybe it's the same p/n and one can do an OEM swap. I guess the catalog on that page was not correct.

:
2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo
I have only had my Turbo for a month but agree with pretty much all the comments here. I did already replace the tires for Firestone Weather Grips as those are 4 season with 100,000 km warranty. The turbo is so nice with power on tap whenever you want it. The ride is comfortable without being so soft you can't drive in a spirited fashion if you so choose (kind of hard not to actually (cabpatch) )

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Spare shouldn't go on the front anyway, as stated in the manual. If a front tire is damaged, you're supposed to rotate a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back until you can get to a shop to have the tire repaired or replaced.
I can tell you'd never changed the flat on the highway. It's very dangerous and scary especially when a 18-wheeler passing by! In reality if I had a flat at front on the highway, I'd put the spare at front first, then drive the car slowly to a safe place and swap the regular to the front. Most likely I'd drive my car with the spare at front straight to a tire shop for flat repair.

IMO that the spare can't mount to the front on CX-5 GT-R and Sig is an irresponsible cost cutting act by Mazda. Doing tire change on road side of the highway TWICE simply is too dangerous!

Chris_Top_Her

Banned
Contributor
:
San Antonio, Texas
:
'15 CX-5 Miata AWD
I can tell you'd never changed the flat on the highway. It's very dangerous and scary especially when a 18-wheeler passing by! In reality if I had a flat at front on the highway, I'd put the spare at front first, then drive the car slowly to a safe place and swap the regular to the front. Most likely I'd drive my car with the spare at front straight to a tire shop for flat repair.

IMO that the spare can't mount to the front on CX-5 GT-R and Sig is an irresponsible cost cutting act by Mazda. Doing tire change on road side of the highway TWICE simply is too dangerous!

Where did you find that diagram btw?

shadonoz

SkyActiv Member
Contributor
:
State of Jefferson
:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD+

That's a much more sensible way to deal with the problem than to follow the advice in the manual. Take it slow, don't go far with it.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature

I can tell that you love to make assumptions. I've changed a few flat tires in different scenarios, including on the side of the highway. I know how dangerous it is. I also know that the amount of time it would take for me to swap a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear is maybe only a few minutes longer than taking the front tire off and putting the spare on. If you can sit and clench your cheeks while you use the scissor jack to raise the car, you'll survive swapping the rear tire to the front. I'm surprised you aren't condemning all the manufacturers that include scissor jacks as emergency jacks.

We've discussed this before, let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
I can tell that you love to make assumptions. I've changed a few flat tires in different scenarios, including on the side of the highway. I know how dangerous it is. I also know that the amount of time it would take for me to swap a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear is maybe only a few minutes longer than taking the front tire off and putting the spare on. If you can sit and clench your cheeks while you use the scissor jack to raise the car, you'll survive swapping the rear tire to the front. I'm surprised you aren't condemning all the manufacturers that include scissor jacks as emergency jacks.

We've discussed this before, let's just agree to disagree.

Those few minutes could be the difference between life and death.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Those few minutes could be the difference between life and death.

You could say the same about the time it takes to jack up the car with the scissor jack. If you really believed that, you'd be carrying a hydraulic jack in your trunk instead of the scissor jack. If you're that concerned, you'd be better off calling AAA or Mazda Roadside Assistance and staying inside the car.

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
You could say the same about the time it takes to jack up the car with the scissor jack. If you really believed that, you'd be carrying a hydraulic jack in your trunk instead of the scissor jack. If you're that concerned, you'd be better off calling AAA or Mazda Roadside Assistance and staying inside the car.

Obviously you've never driven 1-95 between Baltimore/Washington and Philadelphia during rush hour.