2.5T CX-5 Piggyback

I have been watching their forum and have seen that they are now in Alpha testing at Burger Motorsports.

Anyone else following this or on the alpha? I was wondering if it really requires more effort to access the TMAP on the intercooler? Either way I'm excited to see that there is progress, just wasn't sure if anyone had volunteered for the alpha test.
Mazda 2.5L Turbo JB4 Development
I’m nursing a thumb injury on my dominant hand. As soon as I can grip I’ll get under the hood.

Last edited:
I have been watching their forum and have seen that they are now in Alpha testing at Burger Motorsports.

Anyone else following this or on the alpha? I was wondering if it really requires more effort to access the TMAP on the intercooler? Either way I'm excited to see that there is progress, just wasn't sure if anyone had volunteered for the alpha test.
Mazda 2.5L Turbo JB4 Development
I ordered a JB4 and sent them some pics today of the TMAP sensor. Should be set up by next weekend.

I’m nursing a thumb injury on my dominate hand. As soon as I can grip I’ll get under the hood.
Well, the pictures looked familiar in the N54 forum. They’re from the CorkSport intercooler install guide. I was able to pull the bottom plastic ahead of the passenger wheel and saw the TMAP sensor, only from the side or if I shoved my phone in there. Definitely tough to get to. If you ever heal up and get under the hood plus find better access let us know.

Attachments

• ED2A21D8-2EBB-4A26-8C63-1D45F0DB9C2F.jpeg
    ED2A21D8-2EBB-4A26-8C63-1D45F0DB9C2F.jpeg
    184.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 2D5DCA39-6563-4906-B590-761C608B52A5.jpeg
    2D5DCA39-6563-4906-B590-761C608B52A5.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 165
I ordered a JB4 and sent them some pics today of the TMAP sensor. Should be set up by next weekend.
Just saw your post after I posted. How did you work the TMAP sensor? Did you have to remove the intercooler? Let us know how the install was and how it runs.

I’ve used the JB products in past vehicles, they worked great with very noticeable gains. My concern would be the extra torque’s effect on the CX‘s transmission longevity. All transmissions have a maximum torque input value, anyone know what it is for the current CX-5 tranny?

I’ve used the JB products in past vehicles, they worked great with very noticeable gains. My concern would be the extra torque’s effect on the CX‘s transmission longevity. All transmissions have a maximum torque input value, anyone know what it is for the current CX-5 tranny?
Earlier in his thread on N54.com Terry talked about having a hard time making HP with this engine. Torque was no problem, but the high RPM HP just isn’t there. Speaks to the small turbo Mazda used. I’ll be sticking with the base Map on the JB4 whenever it’s released.

Earlier in his thread on N54.com Terry talked about having a hard time making HP with this engine. Torque was no problem, but the high RPM HP just isn’t there. Speaks to the small turbo Mazda used. I’ll be sticking with the base Map on the JB4 whenever it’s released.
I read that, however he seems to have overcome the low hp, currently showing a 50+ hp increase (at higher rpm) and around 40 lb-ft torque. As he stated earlier in the thread, he thought that playing with the MAF might give a better increase. Looks like the factory turbo will support a good hp increase, the engine is not cammed for high rpm, it’s designed to be a relatively low-rpm torque generator - so says Mazda. Still, the hp curve no longer falls off after 4500 rpm but carries on another 500-800 rpm.

I read that, however he seems to have overcome the low hp, currently showing a 50+ hp increase (at higher rpm) and around 40 lb-ft torque. As he stated earlier in the thread, he thought that playing with the MAF might give a better increase. Looks like the factory turbo will support a good hp increase, the engine is not cammed for high rpm, it’s designed to be a relatively low-rpm torque generator - so says Mazda. Still, the hp curve no longer falls off after 4500 rpm but carries on another 500-800 rpm.
I do like how the power band moves up the tach a bit.

I love seeing this progress! It'll be nice to finally have a viable tuning option.

Really, the important thing is not the maximum hp or torque - we spend very little time at those values as we accelerate. It’s the increase in the area under the power curves that makes a difference in how we perceive and can actually use any power increase. The latest JB4 graph shows a large increase in area across almost the entire rpm range, which is expected by correctly tuning for more boost. This should be fun.

Back