'18 CX-9 and Fortin Remote Car Starter...Success!

Any remote start on the market, wired properly. The problem with Mazda's shutting off when the door is opened is from not using the remote start key fob; people want to use the factory key fob and this is the net result. I currently have a Compustar and it does not do this, nor has any other remote start I have had or used over the years.
Huh? I can use my OEM key fob (lock-unlock-lock) and I also use drone mobile with my fortin to start the car. The remote start works exactly the same using other method.

The car remains running (remains running wether I use OEM for or DM, doesn't matter) when I open the door, press the ignition button, put it in drive and go.

Huh? I can use my OEM key fob (lock-unlock-lock) and I also use drone mobile with my fortin to start the car. The remote start works exactly the same using other method.

The car remains running (remains running wether I use OEM for or DM, doesn't matter) when I open the door, press the ignition button, put it in drive and go.
Right, you have your OEM fob on you. Leave it in the house and see how far you get.

But isn’t that true with any remote starter? You still need to the OEM key to go.
No. The OEM fob is only needed to use keyless aspect; entry and starting.

I have a gen 1 with Compustar remote start and had a regular chip key cut (to replace the OEM smart key fob); now the OEM fob stays at home in the closet where it is happiest.

Not sure i follow that process. On gen 2 with push button start you need the keyfob to use the car even after remote start. It will shut down if you don’t have the fob on you

I see the confusion (at least MY confusion). @Bronco Boy has a Gen 1 (I keep forgetting to turn my phone sideways to see sigs). My apologies for not doing that!

Keyed ignitions use the chip in the key in order to completely turn over and start the car. Fortin and compustar basically act as the 40/80bit encoder and start your car. As a result, you do not need the key (I had the same on my 2012 Ford Edge). In keyed ignitions the remote start can completely take over the security.

Newer keyless ignitions need the fob’s 128bit encryption to start the car. This is something the fortin and compustar cannot encode. It can start your car, but in order to have the ignition take over, you need the fob. In keyless ignitions the remote start cannot completely take over the security.

At this point I forget what this discussion was even about…

I see the confusion (at least MY confusion). @Bronco Boy has a Gen 1 (I keep forgetting to turn my phone sideways to see sigs). My apologies for not doing that!

Keyed ignitions use the chip in the key in order to completely turn over and start the car. Fortin and compustar basically act as the 40/80bit encoder and start your car. As a result, you do not need the key (I had the same on my 2012 Ford Edge). In keyed ignitions the remote start can completely take over the security.

Newer keyless ignitions need the fob’s 128bit encryption to start the car. This is something the fortin and compustar cannot encode. It can start your car, but in order to have the ignition take over, you need the fob. In keyless ignitions the remote start cannot completely take over the security.

At this point I forget what this discussion was even about…
Thanks for the clarification. I was confused

I speak from selling/installing/using remote starts for many years. The fact that I have a gen 1 is just a bonus. :)

You cannot drive a vehicle in remote start mode, unless you wire it up to do so. They are not intended to be used in this fashion for safety/security reasons. You need keyed ignition to enable the takeover from remote start and drive the vehicle.

You need the factory key fob to retain keyless ignition. Gen 1 has a key option, so bye-bye OE fob. Not sure if gen 2 all have pushbutton or not, but if there is no key option, then you must retain the OE fob to drive the vehicle.

Sure, but you shouldn't have to. I have never had a remote start operate this way, and if it did, it would be removed and replaced immediately.
Hi, I'm using fortin + t-harness on my CX9 (without installing the valet switch). Do I need to temporary unplug my Remote start module before regular service (oil change, resetting indicator & else)?

Back