100k+ miles CX5 2013 Tranny question

Hi I've been reading for a while on the forums and can't find a definitive answer for my case. I own a 2013 CX5 GT 2.0 Skyactive AWD and it just passes the 100k mile mark. I bought it with 95k miles (low mileage in my country) and I don't know if it ever has had its transmission oil or filter. So I want to get that done but should I do a drain and fill or go ahead and change the filter also? I'm getting mixed answers on this. And how many Liters of oil will I need in each case. I am feeling the transmission could be smoother on gear changes, please let me know and thAnk you so much for your answers!

Hi I've been reading for a while on the forums and can't find a definitive answer for my case. I own a 2013 CX5 GT 2.0 Skyactive AWD and it just passes the 100k mile mark. I bought it with 95k miles (low mileage in my country) and I don't know if it ever has had its transmission oil or filter. So I want to get that done but should I do a drain and fill or go ahead and change the filter also? I'm getting mixed answers on this. And how many Liters of oil will I need in each case. I am feeling the transmission could be smoother on gear changes, please let me know and thAnk you so much for your answers!
Not sure where you are. At your mileage I’d still do drain-and-fill with Mazda Genuine ATF FZ multiple times, and replace the filter cartridge at the last drain-and-fill which requires the ATF pan drop. The transmission contains about 8.2 quarts of ATF, but you can only replace less than half, about 3.5~3.7 quarts, of the ATF during each drain-and-fill. That’s why people are doing multiple times of drain-and-fill changing the ATF. But you do have some risk doing ATF change at 100K miles though. Go through the following 2 threads and you’ll get plenty of info for your ATF change.

ATF Drain/Fill

Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

+^ yrwei52 said.

Do not flush it. Drain-n-Refill is fine, but doing once does not get to all fluid.

My 2-cents........don't touch the transmission. You're past that point of drain/filling.

If the transmission is working good and you plan on keeping the car for a long time, I would do what yrwwi52 suggested. The drain and fill to get cleaner fluid, then drop the pan and change the filter and clean the bottom of the pan. If you plan to have the car 3 years or less then do what CX-5um said. Don't mess with it.

Would you say then. Use it for a year and then sell it?

Cars with auto tranny in general: Basically if the car never had tranny fluid changed before 90k miles don't change it imho Hold on to it and you'd probably get to 200k miles with no tranny issues....or it may go bad at 120k miles. We don't know.

Skyactiv Mazdas: Good news is the skyactiv transmissions has some history behind it now (out since 2012.) The majority of issues reported by owners came early in the car's life and handled under warranty. I can't recall any owner getting issues past 60k miles without previous reports. You fall in the later category. In other words the bad Skyactiv Transmissions were obviously bad well before 30k miles (high pitch sound or leaking). Probably bad from the factory. So if no such issues occur now for OP then OP is all good.

Back