0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?
I think it would be ok if they used 5w30 instead if 0w20, but not the other way around.

Upvote 0
Prove it instead of assuming it.

See below.

The invoice which stated wrong oil is a written proof!

In addition @bulwnkl, the invoice lists a 1WPE filter, which is for the non-turbo 2.5L engine. That's pretty damning evidence to me.

As mentioned before, the invoice is a written record that will be referenced if a powertrain issue arises and a warranty claim is filed. If Eric were to just roll over on this, it could come back to haunt him.

@Eric, at the very least you should get updated paperwork from the dealership that shows the correct oil and the correct filter on the invoice (keep a copy of the existing invoice for reference) as soon as possible. That way, you can show that you were doing your due diligence as an owner in case something does happen to the engine, however unlikely that is.

Like everything else in life, dealing with something proactively can prevent a situation that could create a much larger headache in the future.

Upvote 0
See below.

In addition @bulwnkl, the invoice lists a 1WPE filter, which is for the non-turbo 2.5L engine. That's pretty damning evidence to me.

As mentioned before, the invoice is a written record that will be referenced if a powertrain issue arises and a warranty claim is filed. If Eric were to just roll over on this, it could come back to haunt him.

@Eric, at the very least you should get updated paperwork from the dealership that shows the correct oil and the correct filter on the invoice (keep a copy of the existing invoice for reference) as soon as possible. That way, you can show that you were doing your due diligence as an owner in case something does happen to the engine, however unlikely that is.

Like everything else in life, dealing with something proactively can prevent a situation that could create a much larger headache in the future.
See below.

As soon as I find out what oil filter they installed on my car. I will make a move with that dealer.
Thank you all for good suggestions.

Upvote 0
You’re all still assuming. According to many posts here, dealers aren’t trustworthy, but then the dealer’s paper is claimed to be ‘proof.’ What nonsense. According to follow-up post, the person who did the work says they put 20-grade in.

A $15 test will tell you on basically-new oil. Do you really want to know, or does it not matter nearly enough to bother?

This isn’t a mountain. It frankly isn’t even a molehill, but regardless it’s super simple to fix, and even the ‘worst-case’ fix doesn’t need to cost much.

Upvote 0
Unless you watch them. Assuming their fill hoses are labeled correctly. there is no guaranty the oil grade on your invoice will matches what they put in.

Upvote 0
All he has to do is see what filter is on his car. If it is the wrong filter than he has to have them change the filter and oil for free. The problem is he waited too long. The dealer can say he changed it himself after they did and he used the wrong oil and filter.

Upvote 0
All he has to do is see what filter is on his car. If it is the wrong filter than he has to have them change the filter and oil for free. The problem is he waited too long. The dealer can say he changed it himself after they did and he used the wrong oil and filter.
This dealer tactic is entirely possible.
Dealers are loathe to accept any blame or responsibility for errors or omissions. It leaves them liable if they admit they did something wrong, and they don't want to have to deal with any possible claims of incompetence.
They will lie and deny all day long to avoid any liability. I've been around the block a few years, and I have dealt with this crap numerous times.
(This is not only the way things are in the auto service business, but in just about any service business. No Company wants to admit to incompetence or liability for errors, as it leaves them open to possible litigation.)
To the OP: Check your filter as soon as you can, and if it's the wrong one, go after the dealer.
Like I said earlier, don't let them get away with this.
Keep us posted.

Upvote 0
You’re all still assuming. According to many posts here, dealers aren’t trustworthy, but then the dealer’s paper is claimed to be ‘proof.’ What nonsense. According to follow-up post, the person who did the work says they put 20-grade in.

A $15 test will tell you on basically-new oil. Do you really want to know, or does it not matter nearly enough to bother?

This isn’t a mountain. It frankly isn’t even a molehill, but regardless it’s super simple to fix, and even the ‘worst-case’ fix doesn’t need to cost much.

Trust but verify!

Upvote 0

Better to make a safe assumption and get it rectified ASAP. You might be ok with having to be a little more conservative with your driving and risking potential damage (if the filter is indeed a 1WPE). But the documentation is a point of contention that the dealer will be able to use to get out of a potential warranty claim. Further, if I'm paying for an oil change, I expect to be able to drive my car the same way I did before the oil change. I don't see any logic in paying someone to change my oil and then being forced to put a restriction on my driving habits. That's absurd.

Upvote 0
You’re all still assuming. According to many posts here, dealers aren’t trustworthy, but then the dealer’s paper is claimed to be ‘proof.’ What nonsense.
No, dealer’s formal invoice will be served as a proof and the evidence that the dealer had put in the wrong oil, which is 0W-20 oil and wrong oil filter 1WPE-14-302, if the event is ever escalated into the legal level, no matter what the tech claimed he actually put in correct 5W-30 oil and oil filter.

According to follow-up post, the person who did the work says they put 20-grade in.
No the dealer claimed the tech put in correct 5W-30 oil even though the invoice stated 0W-20 oil.

Yes, the OP needs to decide what he wants to do, and fast, unless he intends not to keep his CX-5 for long.

Yes, if OP doesn’t want to bother, just change the oil again with correct 5W-30 full synthetic oil and OEM 1WPY-14-302 / PY8W-14-302 oil filter which won’t cost much on his money and time.

Upvote 0
Yes, if OP doesn’t want to bother, just change the oil again with correct 5W-30 full synthetic oil and OEM 1WPY-14-302 / PY8W-14-302 oil filter which won’t cost much on his money and time.
Getting the oil changed again on his own dime and clock is not really the point here.
Most of us can afford the $80 bucks to get it done again, but that's not what this is about.
It's about holding the dealer and the individuals who made the mistake accountable for their actions.
Like I said too, how many other incorrect oil changes has this dealer done on Mazda's with turbos?
....and how many of their customers don't know it?
Again, if it were me, I'd be ripping at them. It's not about the money.

Upvote 0
Just get the oil and filter changed to the recomended and see it on the invoice as what it is supposed to be. End of story. I totally agree with Buzzman12 above. Ed

Upvote 0
Getting the oil changed again on his own dime and clock is not really the point here.
Most of us can afford the $80 bucks to get it done again, but that's not what this is about.
It's about holding the dealer and the individuals who made the mistake accountable for their actions.
Like I said too, how many other incorrect oil changes has this dealer done on Mazda's with turbos?
....and how many of their customers don't know it?
Again, if it were me, I'd be ripping at them. It's not about the money.
Yes, I understand your point. But some car owners simply believe it’s not a big deal with wrong oil and filter been put in. Some think it’s not worth his time to deal with such issue. I personally would go all the way to the GM of the dealership and making a case to Mazda North American Operations immediately. It just seems the OP is busy on his own business and doesn’t have time to deal with it. If that’s the case, getting the oil and filter changed with correct parts at some other Mazda dealership may be the best choice for him. And he can complain the case to MNAO whenever he likes with all the paperwork from both Mazda dealers.

Upvote 0
I had the identical thing happen on the 1st oil change on a 2019 Signature. This was a dealer
1500 miles away from where I bought it as we were spending time in another state. The dealership was only a 5 minute drive and sold 3 brands out of the same showroom. In the service area, there were 3 advisors each handling one brand of cars. However, the service area was one with all 3 brands.

I picked up the CX-5 and drove it a few miles home. I always check the invoice when I get home for the details and noticed based on the Forum that the filer was for the non turbo and the oil showed 0-20. When I called, the Mazda Advisor was away for the day and I spoke to a Volkswagen advisor. He told me it was the same filter for both. I called their parts department and gave them my VIN for the filter number. Obviously, they gave me the correct number. I called the Advisor back and said I wanted to look at the filter that was installed. I drove over and they put it on the lift with me standing there. It was the wrong filter.

Then he said the oil was correct and not 0-20. I said that is not what I see on the invoice.
Next, "you don't trust me"? My comment was brief..."You told me the filters were interchangeable and you admitted they are not. Now, you ask if I trust you? I want the oil drained and the correct oil and filter. Why is that a problem?"......I stood there while they redid the oil change.

The next oil change was done where we live. Now, my dilemma is my wife has the car where the oil was first changed and will need another change soon. I plan to buy the correct filter from the dealer and have her take it to the independent shop where my daughter gets her business vehicles serviced. I will call the owner and discuss the correct oil.

I wonder what filter is used when someone takes their turbo to an independent?

Upvote 0
I had the identical thing happen on the 1st oil change on a 2019 Signature.

I noticed based on the Forum that the filter was for the non turbo and the oil showed 0-20. When I called, the Mazda Advisor was away for the day and I spoke to a Volkswagen advisor. He told me it was the same filter for both. I called their parts department and gave them my VIN for the filter number. Obviously, they gave me the correct number. I called the Advisor back and said I wanted to look at the filter that was installed. I drove over and they put it on the lift with me standing there. It was the wrong filter.

Then he said the oil was correct and not 0-20. I said that is not what I see on the invoice.
Next, "you don't trust me"? My comment was brief..."You told me the filters were interchangeable and you admitted they are not. Now, you ask if I trust you? I want the oil drained and the correct oil and filter. Why is that a problem?"......I stood there while they redid the oil change.
This is exactly what I would expect and have experienced from dealers.
Like I said earlier, they will not admit their errors, even when it's obvious when they have been called out, and will lie and deflect all day long, just to cover their a$$.
It seems like if they admit to making a mistake, they'll somehow risk losing their job, or open themselves up to some sort of repercussions, either from the customer, or from within their own organization.
Personally, I respect anyone in the service business that doesn't have a problem honestly admitting their mistakes. It happens. Admit it, take responsibility, fix it, and move on.
It's when they lie and deflect that I get feisty.

Upvote 0
I had the identical thing happen on the 1st oil change on a 2019 Signature. This was a dealer
1500 miles away from where I bought it as we were spending time in another state. The dealership was only a 5 minute drive and sold 3 brands out of the same showroom. In the service area, there were 3 advisors each handling one brand of cars. However, the service area was one with all 3 brands.

I picked up the CX-5 and drove it a few miles home. I always check the invoice when I get home for the details and noticed based on the Forum that the filer was for the non turbo and the oil showed 0-20. When I called, the Mazda Advisor was away for the day and I spoke to a Volkswagen advisor. He told me it was the same filter for both. I called their parts department and gave them my VIN for the filter number. Obviously, they gave me the correct number. I called the Advisor back and said I wanted to look at the filter that was installed. I drove over and they put it on the lift with me standing there. It was the wrong filter.

The next oil change was done where we live. Now, my dilemma is my wife has the car where the oil was first changed and will need another change soon. I plan to buy the correct filter from the dealer and have her take it to the independent shop where my daughter gets her business vehicles serviced. I will call the owner and discuss the correct oil.

I wonder what filter is used when someone takes their turbo to an independent?
This’s exactly what I’d do if I had the same incident. But I change the oil by myself, mainly to avoid this kind of hassles. My Mazda dealer is the best dealer I’ve been dealing with among many dealers, only for warranty service. When I found any questionable services, they usually will correct it. But that could be because I know their GM well.

I always suggest friends who don’t want to DIY on oil change that buy correct oil and OEM oil filter, then take them to a reputable dealer or indy shop for the oil change. And make sure to mention leaving the empty oil bottles and left-over oil in the trunk.

Upvote 0
This’s exactly what I’d do if I had the same incident.

I always suggest friends who don’t want to DIY on oil change that buy correct oil and OEM oil filter, then take them to a reputable dealer or indy shop for the oil change. And make sure to mention leaving the empty oil bottles and left-over oil in the trunk.
That's a great idea. I've done that in the past (buy my own and go indie), especially when I've been away from home and needed an oil change.
The down side to not going back to your dealer for oil changes is that some of them (like mine) give you a hard time when you need some work done because you didn't use their services for routine maintenance. Petty behaviour.
It's a blessing when you find a dealer like you describe. They are few and far between.
I had a great locally owned Nissan dealer that I did business with for over ten years....until they sold it to a conglomerate. Went down the shitter real quick after that.

Upvote 0
No, dealer’s formal invoice will be served as a proof and the evidence that the dealer had put in the wrong oil, which is 0W-20 oil and wrong oil filter 1WPE-14-302, if the event is ever escalated into the legal level, no matter what the tech claimed he actually put in correct 5W-30 oil and oil filter.
...and _IF_ that happened then that’s what you’d use as ‘proof’ the dealer caused the problem and so get it covered.

No need for hysterics. Simple fix, and no damage done.

Upvote 1
Back