0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

^ Exactly this. The manual specifies 5W-30 oil for the 2.5 turbo. They messed up and put in oil for the non-turbo engine instead. Contact service manager and GM asap to rectify the issue, and if you get any sort of pushback, go straight to Mazda Corporate. You can cite the Owner's Manual here:

View attachment 233446

I would avoid using this dealer for any future service/warranty work if possible.
I contacted the service advisor back the same day, he told me that the technician noticed that it was the wrong kind of oil on the service order so he did put in the right kind but didn't correct it on the paperwork. I had many bad experience with car dealers. Since customers are not allowed in the shop so it's kind of hard to prove if they actually did what they told us.

Upvote 0
Keep a close eye on these guys!

I can see it now.

You go in and complain and the next thing you know, the service manager says that after speaking with the service tech it turns out that the tech did use the correct oil but reported it as 0w-20 on the form.

Yeah, right...

Another reason to do it yourself.
That was exactly when I contacted them.

Upvote 0
Geez. The problem with dealer free oil changes. Did they give you an invoice noting the oil grade? That would be good to retain for the long term in the ( unlikely) case of future issues.
It won't ruin the engine immediately by having it in the engine. In fact with this weather there could be some advantage to using it, but it might be too thin when thoroughly warmed up. In that case you could add an oil thickener, but if I were planning any long drives I would change it. Personally, I would change it myself but that's just me, I guess. It takes a significant amount of highway miles for the oil to reach high temperatures, and 0w is thicker at cooler temperatures than 30 weight oil is in the highway.
I think using a thinner oil like 0w20 calls for a higher quality brand that is more heat resistant, while cheaper 5w30 oils have that more naturally. Dealers tend to use cheaper oils which don't last as long in service but if the oil is certified you should be protected. They probably use 0w20 because the NA Skyactive engines call for it ( yet I use 5w30 in mine). I've also heard of dealers that use 5w30 instead of the recommended 0w20.

In short, get it changed sometime soon, and consider your relationship with that dealer.
Dealers always claim that they use certified oil, I guess.
I'm gonna have to try different dealer in the future. It is just so hard to find an honest dealer.

Upvote 0
@Eric, another thing to note about the filter is the fact that the non-turbo filter is not the same as the 2.5 turbo filter. They have separate part numbers. If the dealer put in the wrong oil, they may have also used the wrong filter. Another reason to push for an oil and filter change.

The filter part number should be listed on the invoice you received. Correct P/N for the 2.5 turbo OEM oil filter is 1WPY-14-302 (which supersedes the now discontinued PY8W-14-302).
On my invoice is 1WPE-14-302. I will go check what it is on my car.

Upvote 0
Oil filter 1WPE-14-302 is for 2.5L. I can almost certain the Mazda dealer had used wrong 0W-20 oil. If you really care, try to take a picture of oil filter installed to verify. If the oil filter is indeed the 1WPE-14-302, in addition to contact the GM of the Mazda dealer, you should escalate the case to Mazda North American Operations and ask for the resolution.

If you’re not familiar with changing the oil on your CX-5, here’s the thread so that you know how to access the oil filter underneath and check the part number. If you don’t want to get under the vehicle, you can try some oil change shop to take a picture of the oil filter showing the part number for you.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter

Upvote 0

That's the filter used for the non-turbo engine, which is the wrong filter for your car. Another red flag - it's not likely that the service guy misreported the oil and the filter.

You can politely but firmly request that they perform another oil and filter change with the correct oil and filter and the correct paperwork, as you have no way to prove that the oil in your engine is actually 5W-30. Do NOT settle for a reprinted invoice with the "corrected" oil.

This is a mistake on the service side. They should accommodate your concern and replace the oil and filter, then ensure that the invoice shows the correct parts.

EDIT: I would do what yrwei52 suggested above - get under the car and take a photo of the filter, it will have the part number on the side. If it has the wrong part number, it most certainly has the wrong oil, regardless of what the service guy says.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the filter used for the non-turbo engine, which is the wrong filter for your car.

You can politely but firmly request that they perform another oil and filter change with the correct oil and filter and the correct paperwork, as you have no way to prove that the oil in your engine is actually 5W-30. Do NOT settle for a reprinted invoice with the "corrected" oil.

This is a mistake on the service side. They should accommodate your concern and replace the oil and filter, then ensure that the invoice shows the correct parts.

EDIT: I would do what yrwei52 suggested above - get under the car and take a photo of the filter, it will have the part number on the side. If it has the wrong part number, it most certainly has the wrong oil, regardless of what the service guy says.
OP can prove what kind of oil his Mazda dealer used by doing UOA. But is it worth all the time and money for a $38 (DIY) ~ $80 (dealer) issue that he can simply just do another oil change with correct oil and filter?

For the inventory control, dealer’s invoice will record correct part numbers. That service advisor may be able to say the tech used correct oil without changing the service information as the oil is bulk, but the tech simply can’t apply for different parts from parts department stated in service information in dealer’s system. Tech is doing the update of the service information online while he’s doing his job. And the final invoice is generated based on service information after the tech has done the job. There’s noway the tech “noticed” the error on service order and didn’t correct the service information as the tech couldn’t get different parts from parts information he entered online. The service advisor simply was lying to OP unfortunately like Conrad 16.5 predicted.

Upvote 0
Keep a close eye on these guys!

I can see it now.

You go in and complain and the next thing you know, the service manager says that after speaking with the service tech it turns out that the tech did use the correct oil but reported it as 0w-20 on the form.

Yeah, right...

Another reason to do it yourself.

I contacted the service advisor back the same day, he told me that the technician noticed that it was the wrong kind of oil on the service order so he did put in the right kind but didn't correct it on the paperwork. I had many bad experience with car dealers. Since customers are not allowed in the shop so it's kind of hard to prove if they actually did what they told us.

Surprise!!!!

Upvote 0
Oil filter 1WPE-14-302 is for 2.5L. I can almost certain the Mazda dealer had used wrong 0W-20 oil. If you really care, try to take a picture of oil filter installed to verify. If the oil filter is indeed the 1WPE-14-302, in addition to contact the GM of the Mazda dealer, you should escalate the case to Mazda North American Operations and ask for the resolution.

If you’re not familiar with changing the oil on your CX-5, here’s the thread so that you know how to access the oil filter underneath and check the part number. If you don’t want to get under the vehicle, you can try some oil change shop to take a picture of the oil filter showing the part number for you.

CX-5 Oil Change with Filter
Yes checking the oil filter number is the way to go. If oil filter is wrong the chance is wrong oil they put in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
That's the filter used for the non-turbo engine, which is the wrong filter for your car. Another red flag - it's not likely that the service guy misreported the oil and the filter.

Yes I will get photo of the oil filter on my car as my best proof.

Upvote 0
I contacted the service advisor back the same day, he told me that the technician noticed that it was the wrong kind of oil on the service order so he did put in the right kind but didn't correct it on the paperwork.
Didn't see that coming.
I ALWAYS trust everything my dealers tell me.

Upvote 0
Don't let the paranoia from some here get to you, Eric. Speaking in broad generalities, 0W20 offers reduced main and rod bearing protection compared to 5W30. HOWEVER, you can completely mitigate that by driving conservatively. Do that and there'll be zero harm of any sort.

As to the replacement of oil and filter (if you determine that's necessary), work it out with the dealer if you can. If you can't, move on and maybe choose a different service provider next time. If in the end you're dissatisfied with that provider, just remember that this is not an expensive experience.

Upvote 0
Don't let the paranoia from some here get to you, Eric. Speaking in broad generalities, 0W20 offers reduced main and rod bearing protection compared to 5W30. HOWEVER, you can completely mitigate that by driving conservatively. Do that and there'll be zero harm of any sort.

As to the replacement of oil and filter (if you determine that's necessary), work it out with the dealer if you can. If you can't, move on and maybe choose a different service provider next time. If in the end you're dissatisfied with that provider, just remember that this is not an expensive experience.

When it comes down to it, the dealer put the wrong oil in the car, and possibly used the wrong oil filter. If Eric had not done his research and instead drove the car normally, the reduced protection you mentioned could cause issues with the engine/turbo. Any warranty claims for the engine/turbo could be voided due to the use of the wrong oil and filter. The oil change itself is not expensive, but future repairs that may stem from this could be.

It's best to play it safe and have the dealer own up to the mistake so they can correct it.

Upvote 0
When it comes down to it, the dealer put the wrong oil in the car, and possibly used the wrong oil filter. If Eric had not done his research and instead drove the car normally, the reduced protection you mentioned could cause issues with the engine/turbo. Any warranty claims for the engine/turbo could be voided due to the use of the wrong oil and filter. The oil change itself is not expensive, but future repairs that may stem from this could be.

It's best to play it safe and have the dealer own up to the mistake so they can correct it.
How can the warranty be voided by a DEALER mistake???? Let's get real here and stop the panic. If you drive normally and not at 90% all the time, 0-20 will have no effect on your engine life.

Upvote 0
How can the warranty be voided by a DEALER mistake???? Let's get real here and stop the panic. If you drive normally and not at 90% all the time, 0-20 will have no effect on your engine life.

In order to maintain the factory warranty, service records need to be maintained. The dealer invoice would be one of those records. If one of the records shows that the wrong oil and filter were used, a powertrain warranty claim could be denied. The fact that the dealership made the mistake will likely provide some insulation, but why take the risk when resolving the issue now is so much cheaper and easier?

Also, if it was just the wrong oil, then sure, Eric could just be more mindful of his driving until the next oil change. But it's possible that the wrong filter was used, and we don't know how that would affect the powertrain. Unless you know something about using a 1WPE filter on the 2.5T that I don't?

Upvote 0
I don't have a chance to take a look at it yet. I live in apartment so it's kind of inconvenient to go underneath my car.
I really think you need to verify the oil filter part number.
If it's the wrong one, you need to go back to that dealer and raise a little heck.
This is not some shade tree garage that did the oil change, it was the dealer.
They should know better, and they should back up their service and fix their mistake.
Also, if they put in the wrong oil and filter in your CX-5, then how many other CX-5's are out there with the wrong oil and filter that they installed?
I doubt many drivers actually check their invoice like you did. It's just wrong.
The dealer needs to be held accountable. I speak from experience where I've been lied to about oil changes and filter changes that weren't actually done. I caught the buggers red handed, and they still wouldn't own up to trying to screw me over.
Don't let them get away with this.

Upvote 0
Back