0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
How were you able to tell that they used 0w20 ? I had my GTR 1st oil change last week and was concerned that this might happen at my dealer ? The repair order that they gave me shows they used 5W30 but I really don't know what the tech sees when he is doing the job. The oil cap clearly says 5W30 in bright yellow lettering.

So just wondering if your repair order was what clued you in to the error if not, then how did you figure it out?

My only reason for concern in my case is that my gas mileage somehow seems slightly improved since the oil change which coincides only with the oil being changed. So did i get lighter 0W20 which may have improved gas mileage. I'm admittedly overly paranoid though.

He stated that his invoice shows that 0W-20 was used, along with the wrong oil filter. Post here. No way to actually find out which oil was used without a used oil analysis, but all the evidence available right now points to the wrong oil and filter used (Eric hasn't come back on here to verify which filter is actually installed).

In your case, you can check the oil filter installed on your car to make sure the P/N is correct. If the P/N is correct, you can assume that the correct oil was used, but it would still be an assumption.

The only way to really know for sure is to bring your own oil and filter and watch them do the service, or specify that they leave the emptied oil jug and oil filter box in the trunk so you can verify that it was used.

Your invoice shows the correct oil and filter, so even if the tech screwed up somehow and put 0W-20 in the engine, you'd still be covered by the warranty if you started to experience engine issues because you have documentation showing that the correct materials were used. If the documentation was wrong, though, that could hurt your case in the event of a warranty claim. It should still be honored because the dealership was the one who screwed up, but you just never know with these dealers/service reps, so it's best to ensure the documentation shows the correct info as it shows that you did your due diligence to the best of your ability.

Upvote 0
:
2020 CX-5 GTR
Thank you - I actually just got through editing my hasty post after I took the time to read the whole thread. I will let you know what I find on the invoice and visual inspection with regards to the oil filter that was installed. I think I will be doing my own oil changes with full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and Mazda OEM filters like I've been doing on my prius for the past 12 years. May need a more beefy set of ramps since the CX5 weighs considerably more. It is worth the peace of mind knowing that it was done right with regards to parts used and fill levels being correct.

Upvote 0
:
2020 CX-5 GTR
Thank you - I actually just got through editing my hasty post after I took the time to read the whole thread. I will let you know what I find on the invoice and visual inspection with regards to the oil filter that was installed. I think I will be doing my own oil changes with full synthetic Mobil 1 oil and Mazda OEM filters like I've been doing on my prius for the past 12 years. May need a more beefy set of ramps since the CX5 weighs considerably more. It is worth the peace of mind knowing that it was done right with regards to parts used and fill levels being correct.

Upvote 0
:
2020 CX-5 GTR
Just checked the invoice. The oil filter dealer put in stated as PY8W-14-302-MV. Can anyone tell what the 'MV' designator means. From my quick reading it seems that most are familiar with Japanese Manufactured PY8W-14-302 being original part in turbo as it shipped from factory but has since been superseded by 1WPY-14-302. So what did dealer give me if I have a PY8W-14-302-MV. I have not looked under car yet at the actual filter. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Just checked the invoice. The oil filter dealer put in stated as PY8W-14-302-MV. Can anyone tell what the 'MV' designator means. From my quick reading it seems that most are familiar with Japanese Manufactured PY8W-14-302 being original part in turbo as it shipped from factory but has since been superseded by 1WPY-14-302. So what did dealer give me if I have a PY8W-14-302-MV. I have not looked under car yet at the actual filter. Thanks in advance.

As @Sig cx-5 mentioned, it's a filter made in Mexico. It's basically the "value line" option for these engine oil filters. The good news is that it is the correct filter for the turbo engine, so they likely also used the correct oil.

Generally people suggest using the Thailand made 1WPY filter as it is a better quality for not much more money. But the MV filter should be fine as well.

Upvote 0

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
PY8W-14-302-MV is from OEM “Value Product” maintenance parts line and it’s made in Mexico. They’re cheaper than standard OEM maintenance parts. It’s like Mexican made “Value Product” PE01-14-302A-MV oil filter to defunct Japanese made Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A for 2.5L. Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302 oil filter which supersedes Tokyo Roki Japanese made PY8W-14-302 definitely is a better quality oil filter.

This’s one way Mazda can let their dealers make a bit more money as these dealers will use cheaper “Value Product” oil filters for the oil change, in the mean time their price is still the same as before. Insist OEM Denso oil filter even if you have to pay more.

Upvote 0
:
2020 CX-5 GTR
Thanks. I got 2 free oil changes with the car so I guess I got what I paid for. I definitely would have paid a few dollars more had I been aware of this. Crazy that they'd try and make a few dollars instead of putting the best parts in they could into a 30k+ vehicle they just sold me. I thought that was the big reason people take cars to the Dealership so they don't get cheap aftermarket parts from the independents. Go figure.

Upvote 0

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Thanks. I got 2 free oil changes with the car so I guess I got what I paid for. I definitely would have paid a few dollars more had I been aware of this. Crazy that they'd try and make a few dollars instead of putting the best parts in they could into a 30k+ vehicle they just sold me. I thought that was the big reason people take cars to the Dealership so they don't get cheap aftermarket parts from the independents. Go figure.

I would actually prefer the OEM "value" filter over one of the aftermarket filters from brands like Wix, Fram, etc. It's not that using those filters has been proven to cause any harm on our engines, it's just my preference to use an OEM filter over an aftermarket one during the warranty period.

Upvote 0
:
2018 CX-5 Sport
'Best' is a relative for the OEM filters. The Mexican made OEM filters are still excellent and made to spec. The Thai filters are pre-greased and have a cellophane cover on the top to keep dirt out after the box is opened.

Upvote 0

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
This’s very strange that Mazda North American Operations offer a separate “Value Product” line for OEM maintenance parts. MNAO may be the only car manufacture in the US selling 2 lines of maintenance parts which doesn’t make any sense to me. Most car owners take their car to the dealership for the best OEM parts like you said, but those Mazda owners will be disappointed that they actually got cheaper “Value Product”, even though Mazda does have “normal” OEM maintenance parts available to use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
'Best' is a relative for the OEM filters. The Mexican made OEM filters are still excellent and made to spec. The Thai filters are pre-greased and have a cellophane cover on the top to keep dirt out after the box is opened.
In addition, the paper box of Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter is sealed but smaller Denso Thai oil filter is not. Both oil filters have greased O-ring type gasket protected by heat-shrink wrapper. And the “Value Product” OEM Mexican oil filter comes with no paper box, but is only sealed entirely by heat-shrink wrapper. “Value Product” Mexican filter has flat rubber gasket which is not pre-greased.

Upvote 0
:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
It's been more than a month since Eric (original poster) has been here. I'm still curious what, if anything, he has done about the issue.

@Eric...Update?

Upvote 0