0W20 for 2020 CX-5 GTR?

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?

:
'15 6, '06 5
Don't let the paranoia from some here get to you, Eric. Speaking in broad generalities, 0W20 offers reduced main and rod bearing protection compared to 5W30. HOWEVER, you can completely mitigate that by driving conservatively. Do that and there'll be zero harm of any sort.

As to the replacement of oil and filter (if you determine that's necessary), work it out with the dealer if you can. If you can't, move on and maybe choose a different service provider next time. If in the end you're dissatisfied with that provider, just remember that this is not an expensive experience.

Upvote 0

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Don't let the paranoia from some here get to you, Eric. Speaking in broad generalities, 0W20 offers reduced main and rod bearing protection compared to 5W30. HOWEVER, you can completely mitigate that by driving conservatively. Do that and there'll be zero harm of any sort.

As to the replacement of oil and filter (if you determine that's necessary), work it out with the dealer if you can. If you can't, move on and maybe choose a different service provider next time. If in the end you're dissatisfied with that provider, just remember that this is not an expensive experience.

When it comes down to it, the dealer put the wrong oil in the car, and possibly used the wrong oil filter. If Eric had not done his research and instead drove the car normally, the reduced protection you mentioned could cause issues with the engine/turbo. Any warranty claims for the engine/turbo could be voided due to the use of the wrong oil and filter. The oil change itself is not expensive, but future repairs that may stem from this could be.

It's best to play it safe and have the dealer own up to the mistake so they can correct it.

Upvote 0
:
2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR
When it comes down to it, the dealer put the wrong oil in the car, and possibly used the wrong oil filter. If Eric had not done his research and instead drove the car normally, the reduced protection you mentioned could cause issues with the engine/turbo. Any warranty claims for the engine/turbo could be voided due to the use of the wrong oil and filter. The oil change itself is not expensive, but future repairs that may stem from this could be.

It's best to play it safe and have the dealer own up to the mistake so they can correct it.
How can the warranty be voided by a DEALER mistake???? Let's get real here and stop the panic. If you drive normally and not at 90% all the time, 0-20 will have no effect on your engine life.

Upvote 0

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
How can the warranty be voided by a DEALER mistake???? Let's get real here and stop the panic. If you drive normally and not at 90% all the time, 0-20 will have no effect on your engine life.

In order to maintain the factory warranty, service records need to be maintained. The dealer invoice would be one of those records. If one of the records shows that the wrong oil and filter were used, a powertrain warranty claim could be denied. The fact that the dealership made the mistake will likely provide some insulation, but why take the risk when resolving the issue now is so much cheaper and easier?

Also, if it was just the wrong oil, then sure, Eric could just be more mindful of his driving until the next oil change. But it's possible that the wrong filter was used, and we don't know how that would affect the powertrain. Unless you know something about using a 1WPE filter on the 2.5T that I don't?

Upvote 0
:
Ottawa, Ontario
:
17 Mazda 6 GT
I don't have a chance to take a look at it yet. I live in apartment so it's kind of inconvenient to go underneath my car.
I really think you need to verify the oil filter part number.
If it's the wrong one, you need to go back to that dealer and raise a little heck.
This is not some shade tree garage that did the oil change, it was the dealer.
They should know better, and they should back up their service and fix their mistake.
Also, if they put in the wrong oil and filter in your CX-5, then how many other CX-5's are out there with the wrong oil and filter that they installed?
I doubt many drivers actually check their invoice like you did. It's just wrong.
The dealer needs to be held accountable. I speak from experience where I've been lied to about oil changes and filter changes that weren't actually done. I caught the buggers red handed, and they still wouldn't own up to trying to screw me over.
Don't let them get away with this.

Upvote 0
:
Pueblo county CO
:
CX-5 Sport 16.5 6M
Hi there. I just got first oil change for my 2020 CX-5 GTR at the dealer today. I noticed that they use 0W20 instead of 5W30 (according to the owner manual).

Would it be ok for that?
I think it would be ok if they used 5w30 instead if 0w20, but not the other way around.

Upvote 0

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Prove it instead of assuming it.

See below.

The invoice which stated wrong oil is a written proof!

In addition @bulwnkl, the invoice lists a 1WPE filter, which is for the non-turbo 2.5L engine. That's pretty damning evidence to me.

As mentioned before, the invoice is a written record that will be referenced if a powertrain issue arises and a warranty claim is filed. If Eric were to just roll over on this, it could come back to haunt him.

@Eric, at the very least you should get updated paperwork from the dealership that shows the correct oil and the correct filter on the invoice (keep a copy of the existing invoice for reference) as soon as possible. That way, you can show that you were doing your due diligence as an owner in case something does happen to the engine, however unlikely that is.

Like everything else in life, dealing with something proactively can prevent a situation that could create a much larger headache in the future.

Upvote 0

Eric

2020 CX-5 GTR
See below.

In addition @bulwnkl, the invoice lists a 1WPE filter, which is for the non-turbo 2.5L engine. That's pretty damning evidence to me.

As mentioned before, the invoice is a written record that will be referenced if a powertrain issue arises and a warranty claim is filed. If Eric were to just roll over on this, it could come back to haunt him.

@Eric, at the very least you should get updated paperwork from the dealership that shows the correct oil and the correct filter on the invoice (keep a copy of the existing invoice for reference) as soon as possible. That way, you can show that you were doing your due diligence as an owner in case something does happen to the engine, however unlikely that is.

Like everything else in life, dealing with something proactively can prevent a situation that could create a much larger headache in the future.
See below.

As soon as I find out what oil filter they installed on my car. I will make a move with that dealer.
Thank you all for good suggestions.

Upvote 0