03 MP5 headlight led conversion

Hey there, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on HID or LED headlights for my 03 MP5. I'm just looking for something with a little better brightness than the stock headlights/bulbs.

Any advice or recommendation would be much appreciated.

Had some H7 HID's but had to point them down so far to keep from blinding people that the brights were basically fog lights hitting the ground right in front of car. Put yellow bulbs in brights lol. Went back halogen and put stuff back where it was but kept the yellow brights. Work great in fog. Lighting was great but got tired of chasing bulbs or ballasts going out with HID. Did HID oem fog conversion with compact H3s but running 03.5 MSP lip so those went away. I did LEDs in my 04 xB and really like them but they are kinda same thing as H4 HIDs in my truck.....you don't really have a low and high beam, just same beam pointed higher. I like having low and higher power bright like with halogens. Am kinda curious about trying out some H7 LEDs and leaving the yellow halogen brights on the P5.

Last edited:
Oh, and light police will post up about how bad and inconsiderate it is to put HIDs or LEDs in a halogen housing so get ready for that. Meanwhile all the oem projectors and oem LEDs nowadays are just as bright and annoying where it seems like 80% of all vehicles are riding around with their brights on sooooooooooooo.........do whatever.

i think you have to be choosy about led bulbs the way our oem bulbs use that adapter to mount in housing. the ones with the fans on back may not work. there are some that do not have the fans and seem like they would mount up correctly. just something to consider.

I did the morimoto h1 mini retrofit in mine with HID back in 2010. Just had a ballast fail a couple months ago. And I drive alot at night/ early morning. For the money - and 1 day of work - the light increase and reliability is totally worth it. Ive got some Hikari LED from Amazon in my other car and while the foreground is brighter, it doesnt seem to project out as far down the road as the HID. I am a big fan of the morimoto products and customer support of TRS. Worth the extra $$ in my opinion.

I had morimoto ds1 projector setup in my truck but it was like giving up brights. Just 35w pointed higher. This car has separate brights so that would be ok. I have some projector housingsfor the p5 i got used from someone but they need to be baked apart and worked on.

I've been considering doing something like this for a while now too. Just couldn't bring myself to spend the money, as I didn't know if it would be worth it compared to other mods (or responsible things) I could do for the same money. I spent some time reading through this thread and there's some good info on there too. Also, this video is kinda helpful to give you an idea of how in-depth it is.

I'd be curious to hear anybody else's thoughts or opinions on these types of lighting mods.

Back