2019 CX-5...When to service transmission?

At about 26k miles on our ‘19 touring awd, and am planning on having front transfer case and rear differential oils changed at 30k (with next engine oil service). Might it be a good idea to have the transmission serviced at the same time? Thinking more along lines of drain, refill, and filter change as opposed to a flush. Didn’t notice a specified service interval in owners manual.

tranny.png

I would confirm it with the dealer.

Last edited:
I believe in lifetime fluid only if automaker offers lifetime warranty on the parts.

If you will, please look up "BMW E39 transmission" if you want to know about lifetime transmission fluid. Owners (me included) were sent away from dealerships "It is lifetime fluid, people. Go away." until many transmissions started to fail at 60k to 80k. After that, BMW dealerships stopped laughing at owners, and offered to replace the ATF fluid for $300.... Just FYI.
Your money, your call.
Note that BMW offered limited powertran warranty for 4yr/50K miles.

Same exact situation as ceric's w/ Suzuki and the Jatco CVT tranmissions they put in to their vehicles. Was never referred to anywhere as 'lifetime'. There wasn't any mention at all regarding servicing the fluid in the Owner's Manual or FSM's service schedules. Lying by omission? Many years later (too late actually) Suzuki issued a TSB indicating to, yeah, change the fluid. Too late, damage was already done and many were dead before the TSB was even issued.

30k is a good time to change trans fluid. Cheap insurance. That's my plan.

There's NUMEROUS threads on the subject on this site. Next to no fluid related failures on the Mazda six speed automatic. Seems to be a robust transmission. It's your choice.

It all boils down to how you drive it and primarily under what conditions you drive it :)

I would agree 30k is early unless you drive it in 110+F temperatures most of the time which is not the case in most of North America.
Apart from many many miles, primarily extensive use at very high oil temperatures shortens and degrades the lifespan of the oil.

I would agree 30k is early unless you drive it in 110+F temperatures most of the time which is not the case in most of North America.

Yeah.. us here in Arizona are the minority for sure!

At about 26k miles on our ‘19 touring awd, and am planning on having front transfer case and rear differential oils changed at 30k (with next engine oil service). Might it be a good idea to have the transmission serviced at the same time? Thinking more along lines of drain, refill, and filter change as opposed to a flush. Didn’t notice a specified service interval in owners manual.
I'd do none of the above. No need.

Rear differential and transfer case are a no brainer for me, mainly because I’ve always stuck with 30k intervals on my other vehicles under relatively “severe service” with good results. And though my wife’s cx-5 doesn’t quite see the same duty as my work trucks or weekend toys, the differential has a much smaller capacity (<1 qt vs 2 qts or more in the other vehicles) in the cx-5. Combine that with several reports of them potentially being under-filled from the factory and I think it’s worth checking/changing the oil at 30k.

As for the transmission, agree completely on the lifetime fluid claim. My folks were the victim of this claim with their first Mercedes, which ended up needing a new tranny at 120k on the original “lifetime” fluid. Also saw plenty of bmw’s and MB’s of that era with burnt up transmissions while working for the respective dealerships.

I’ve noticed more so in the last 5-6k miles that the transmission on our cx5 downshifts a bit abruptly into 2nd gear when braking to a stop. It’s like I can feel a slight “thud” at about 5mph under braking. Not sure if this is just a characteristic of the 6spd auto, or could be indicative of a transmission issue.

Would normally wait until 60k to service trans, but was thinking of moving first service up to 30k because of the possible issue above. But now I think the best course of action would be to service transmission at around 50k and have old oil inspected or maybe sent in for analysis. That way if there’s any indication of a problem, there’s still some miles left on the powertrain warranty.

I haven't seen any UOAs on CX5 AT but, that would be interesting for sure. Ed

Best thread going so far but it went quiet. I plotted wear metal levels vs miles for the few reports we were able to consolidate here. I think 50k is the sweet spot. How many drain and fills you want to do is another question though. I did 3x with driving in between to get as much of the old stuff out without going overboard.

Back