Search results

1. I

Water Pump failure led to need for new engine - Mazda not helping at all

IMO it is a bit silly to rag on Mazda here. Yes, you were only a couple thousand miles outside the powertrain warranty but you had years to consider the consequences of repairs after that point. Extended warranties are expensive but for today's complex vehicles and $125/hr labor charges make...
  2. I

End of my CX9

No particular disadvantage of the hybrid version vs a gas CMax. I believe the engine is identical to what they put in the gas CMax in Europe so really the difference is just the hybrid elements which do add considerably to MPG. I get 43mpg in hybrid mode with my CMax Energi on the highway and...
  3. I

CX-9 Real world towing question

I wouldn't bother with a transmission cooler to tow a 2000lb load. I have no idea where Mazda came up with the 2000lb limit as I believe virtually every other car/CUV in this class has a 3500lb limit or more. I used my CX9 with Class 3 hitch to tow a number of loads between 2000-3500lbs and...
  4. I

Consumer Reports finally mentions the Cx9

I'd say the mpg bashing is deserved. That is the main weakness of the vehicle IMO. It doesn't even get the same mpg as a minivan and has much less room. Don't get me wrong, I loved my CX9 but it wasn't a fuel efficient vehicle. I don't see what playing with manual mode in the city would do...
  5. I

End of my CX9

I've been a very happy CX-9 GT owner for five years (well, except for the gas mileage) however my car was totalled while parked last month. An inattentive driver ?texting ?distracted by kids just plain ran into the left rear wheel and quarter panel at about 30mph. Totalled his Camry and while...
  6. I

Extended Warrantee??

Check out AAA. They have extended warranties that are far cheaper than what the dealers charge. Also, check out TrueDelta with regard to reliability and common repairs. The CX9 is a very reliable vehicle overall. The main problem with CX9 AWD has been the transfer case. Mazda has issued a...
  7. I

Keyless Entry Issues W/Aftermarket Remote Start Installation

I haven't read this thread carefully but do have the Viper remote starter on my CX9 2010 GT. I have never had an issue with remote start interfering with keyless entry as far as I can recall. I use both iphone app or remote fob to start car. Either locks the doors if unlocked and then starts...
  8. I

brake light, TCS, wavy lines, and Oil light all on, power door locks and turn signal

I saw similar "gremlin" warning lights that came on several times over a one week period and then went away. Started while driving on cruise control at highway speed. Nothing actually wrong and vehicle was fine. Only came across this thread while looking (six months later) for explanation for...
  9. I

Transmission drain/fill plus external filter install with pics

Why do this when Mazda does not recommend transmission fluid change (and certainly not at 30,000miles). Aren't you falling prey to the Jiffy Lube propaganda about need to change fluids constantly? If Mazda or Ansin engineers thought it was necessary wouldn't it be part of the scheduled...
  10. I

Automatic Headlight Hack?

Did you try to lock the car and see if they go off within ?30 sec or at least within 5min??
  11. I

Is it OK to replace just one tire on an AWD vehicle?

A good tire shop can shave down the single new tire to match the others. That is certainly a less expensive option than replacing all four when only one is damaged.
  12. I

CX-9 GT Winter tire - Which one is better?

Don't use the 20 inch wheels. Choose either 18 or 17 for winter tires. In my area (New England) the Blizzak's have the strongest reputation. Not sure if that is just good marketing.
  13. I

Harsh engagement, Loud clunk, Lurching Forward when Shifted from Reverse to Drive

I have a 2010 GT AWD. I've noticed on rare occasion a bit of a clunk when first engaging the transmission, typically on my flat driveway in the morning. However, the transmission shifts fine and the only issue I've had with the car at all was the transfer case that was replaced under warranty...
  14. I

In the Market for 2014 CX-9 , whats your take ?

I find the driver's position in my 2010 GT very comfortable. The seats are more European than Buick though. You might try one of those memory foam seat cushions either under you or behind your back. I sometimes take a small one when on a very long trip (eg Boston to DC) just to vary the...
  15. I

Has anyone updated the navigation CD?

thanks guys. I'll have to ponder whether $200 is worth it to me. I cannot say that I am often lead astray so I may just wait.
  16. I

Has anyone updated the navigation CD?

I have a 2010 GT with nav. Works fine but I am wondering about updating the now five or more year old map CD. Does Mazda have a program to do this? Has anyone done it? Cost??
  17. I

Gas mileage tuneup. Give me things to do!!

That is truly horrific gas mileage. If the dealer cannot find anything, I'd want the regional Mazda technical rep to review matters. You mileage is WAY out of bounds.
  18. I

245/45/20 tires instead of stock size?

If the 45s improved handling and ride, the Mazda engineers would have developed the suspension around that size. They didn't. Unless you are just looking to have an impressive boulevard cruiser for Friday nights, I'd stick with what the Mazda folks selected.
  19. I

New to Mazda - 2014 CX-9 GT

I like your wife's taste. My Liquid Silver 2010 GT with tech, tow (class III), roof rack, stainless rear bumper protector (necessary) has just passed 58K with a single non routine visit (transfer case) to the dealer. Most trouble free and smooth riding car I've ever owned (and it was a Ford...
  20. I

2014 Mazda CX-9 vs 2014 Honda Pilot

The CX9 is every bit as reliable as the Pilot/MDX. Only weak point is the Ford made transfer case for the AWD version which is covered by an extended warranty.
Back