Search results

1. B

Detailed explanation of how the CX-90 AWD works?

Has anyone seen, and would you please point me to, a detailed explanation of the drivetrain layout and function in the 6-cylinder CX-90? I'm interested especially in details of how the AWD system works mechanically. Thanks. P.S. If one were to say something like, "It's very similar to the...
  2. B

How long do you think a 6 will last without significant repairs?

Current-gen Mazda6. Nothing more expensive than an alternator, and maybe not even an alternator. Highway miles, hot weather, very little city traffic. 250k miles? 300k? 400k?
  3. B

Replacing rear wheel bearings (how)?

Looking at the online parts suppliers, it looks like rear wheel bearings are sold as a hub/bearing assembly. Has anyone replaced one of these themselves? How is the job?
  4. B

Bent front control arm

So, my wife called this PM to tell me that she'd hit a curb in today's snow. She hit it HARD because the front lower control arm is waaayy bent. There's no dealer nearby so it's at a local alignment shop and they think only the control arm's bent. What do you all think? What's the likelihood...
  5. B

Where is the OBD II connector port?

I have access to a codereader/datalogger and would like to plug it in and have a look, but I don't know where the connector is on our 5. Anyone know?
  6. B

Anyone put TALLER tires on their 5?

Just curious whether anyone knows if taller tires will fit, and how much taller. Don't want or care about wider, just taller. I'm looking for slightly higher gearing.
  7. B

Want to make my Mazda5 stop fuel diluting. How?

OK, so I have some familiarity with what tools are available to mess with ECU programming on my Subaru. I haven't yet been able to figure out what the drill is with Mazdas, though. I'd like to play around with the programming of our Mazda5. Std MZR 2.3-liter engine. The thing is, this engine...
  8. B

POTENTIAL ISSUE: Oil Cooler line abrasion

Thought I'd post this here for the DIY-ers who change their own oil. I changed the oil today and found that one of the oil cooler lines is being abraded on the front of the oil filter cartridge housing. This is an engine coolant-carrying hose and it has an extra piece of rubber around it (looks...
  9. B

Add bass inexpensively W/O a sub?

I'm looking to add some bass to our 5 Touring w/o adding a subwoofer. I cannot spare any room in the rear at all. Even though the sub install in the right rear storage compartment is SUPER cool, we use that space and don't want to give it up. I drive around with the HU set to +5 on the bass, and...
  10. B

Headrests cause neck/back pain; alternatives?

Hi. I'm having quite a bit of trouble with our 5's headrests. They push my head forward too far, and that causes me to have neck and mid-back pain after a trip of any significant length. Adjusting it up or down does not help, and in fact doesn't address the problem. FWIW, I have/had the same...
  11. B

Should the airbag and horn fall off the steering wheel?

I think the title pretty much sums it up. That module is loose on our 5. I can't say it has come completely off on its own yet, but it has flopped "open" and it's very easily removed from that point. This doesn't seem proper to me. Thoughts?
  12. B

WOW!!! 37.4 mpg in our Touring 5sp!!

I'm happy as a clam (which I hear are very happy creatures, though they don't necessarily look it). I should note that this was a single, 400+ mile trip where I filled up at the same pump at the same station in the morning before the trip and in the evening after the trip (it was 85 octane from...
  13. B

Alignment specs?

Can anyone tell me the factory alignment specifications for the MZ5? Just looking at the car, it almost seems like the rears are running a noticeable amount of negatice camber. If that's not the case, the fronts must be running more than normal positive. Also, what adjustment provisions are...
  14. B

How quickly does your 5 warm up?

I ask this because I'm really impressed with how quickly this thing heats up. We have 3 cars at the moment (1 will go to its new home Saturday :( ), and of course I've driven a great many vehicles of all different types over the years. This 5 warms up enough to give us at least some heater heat...
  15. B

Greeting from a new member!

Hello all, My wife and I just bought a new 5 late last week here in Boise. It's a Phantom Blue 5-speed touring and we love it! I'm so happy Mazda brought this car here. It's just exactly what we wanted/needed and the sliding rear doors are wonderful. We got it for a good price (a couple hundred...
Back