Search results

1. T

Considering a Mazda5...What should I know?

I am so glad I got my 2015 sport trim with 66k miles right before the lock down for $9k. If it does not come with backup camera, you can install an aftermarket infotainment system with the rear camera. There are some inexpensive and DIY options. It doesn't have any of the modern safety devices...
  2. T

Mazda TSB regarding Mazda5 ATF vs "universal" fluid: Don't do it!

It brought me a lot of memories from the other thread also mentioning the TSB: https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/atf-recommendations-what-fluid-cooler-filter-share-your-experience-on-the-mz5.123824925/post-6163622 Idemitsu M-V was the only one I used in the auto trans of both of my 2010 and 2015...
  3. T

2012 Mazda5 Dash Cam Wiring - Which fuse to use?

I piggybacked the cigarette lighter fuse socket in the fuse box with the same fuse tap setup since the socket is only energized at the Acc. key position. It has been working for several years. Properly orienting the add-a-circuit fuse is important to get the power from the battery side to the...
  4. T

Intermittent starting problems (Mazda5)

If the ground wires to the engine and the starter are not the issue (inspect with resistance reading, not just visual), check the battery model and have AAA or auto zone check the expected battery spec. Wrong type of battery can cause starting issue but engine dying right after it started...
  5. T

Mazda5 infotainment display upgrade tech specs?

If I were to do this (and I did do it for both of my 2010 and 2015 Mazda 5), I would get one of those universal android 7" 2din unit and a rear cam plus the mounting bracket/faceplate. It would be a fullfilling weekend project with definite result. After it is done, you get an offline GPS (I use...
  6. T

Garage or a locksmith? Ignition lock cylinder jammed

Thank you! I was able to use the hammer method to get the cylinder to turn and exposed the release pin. After the cylinder was pulled out, everything went smoothly from there. The plastic fragment was removed and I even managed not to lose any tumblers or springs. The stock key worked seamlessly...
  7. T

Yes. The key was printed from PLA.
  8. T

I recently got into 3D printing and I printed a key for my 2015 Mazda 5 sport. The door worked with the printed key so I proceeded to test it on the ignition lock (I also learned that there is no lock on the front passenger door neither the rear hatch which is new to me). The key worked to...
  9. T

My car was a victim of this cold weather and now I need parts

If I were in your shoes I would not care about the color of the door handle. Heck I would just leave the door handle unrepaired (there are still four other working doors). When you are unemployed, one broken car door handle should not be on any radar. This is not a car problem, it is a priority...
  10. T

What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

My 2015 Mazda 5 has 75k miles. I am looking into replacing all four spark plugs and tires soon (lots of treads left but have been in service for ~7 years). I was wondering if the three engine mounts and front / rear shocks and springs should be on my list before 100k miles or should I just wait...
  11. T

Skid plate on a Mazda5?

Don't you need to raise your car if it's grounding out? How would a piece of metal going to help? Most people buy SUVs and trucks and use them only on paved roads, your sir are going the opposite direction. Mazda 5 is not an off road vehicle. It is not even a dirt road vehicle. I had a tough...
  12. T

Mazda5 Undercarriage condition - Your opinion on the rust?

Check the project farm video on YouTube on different brands of rust converter benchmark. Plus fluid film I estimated $300/yr. I also live in rust belt but not sure how long I would keep the car (2015 model). Also fluid film doesn't cover high temp equip like the outside of catalic converter and...
  13. T

What have you done to your Mazda5 today?

Any chance to convert your Mazda 5 into an EV? It would be a good thread when someone says something like Mazda 5 is smaller than the normal minivan but gets the similar mpg.
  14. T

WTB 2013-2018 OEM Mazda5 Stereo

I have a fully working factory unit removed from a 2015 Mazda 5 sport for $50+shipping if you are interested. I do not believe it comes with Bluetooth since I don't have the steering wheel buttons for it, just the vol/track/mute buttons (and also the user manual does not mention it. It has the...
  15. T

Tried to do a stereo upgrade...

I am not an audiophile and I buy things on the cheap side. A $75 eBay no brand Android unit (in my case, with the rear view camera, mounting bracket and hardness adapters totaled ~$120) works well for me, especially knowing that I have choices of installing any navigation software I want from...
  16. T

What's a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?

Yeah I had a 2010 Mazda 5 with more mileage (100k) without the rusty transmission pan but the 75k-mile 2015 Mazda 5 has a rotten pan so I don't know how to make sense of it. Both vehicles spent their entire lives in the New England are so there are road salt. Maybe they cut corners in the later...
  17. T

What's a good transmission oil to use for the Mazda5?

I just did the flush for my 2015 M5 sport and replaced the transmission oil pan (it rotted out) with 75k miles on it using Idemitsu ATF M5 two days ago. The automatic shifting is noticeably smoother after that.
  18. T

Mazda5 Electrical problems

I would check the cheap items like ground wires first. Lights blinking most likely means connectivity issue.
  19. T

Transmission pan rot?

Thanks for the comment. I had the same garage (The Transmission Shop in Coventry, RI) flush my auto trans on a 2010 Mazda 5 and it brought noticeable smoothness during gear shifting. I tend to trust them know what they are doing. It would be nice to do the drain and fill instead of blasting...
  20. T

Transmission pan rot?

I went to a garage for auto transmission fluid flush for my 2015 Mazda 5 the other day and they said that the pan has rotted so they don't feel comfortable to flush the fluid when it will likely start to leak soon after they put the pan back on. The car has been in MA with it's first owner and...
Back