Search results

1. J

2014 CX-5 Feels underpowered

Throttle body been cleaned recently?
  2. J

Cleaned the intake valves on my 2013 CX-5

Awesome! Looks great. What media blaster did you use and what's a ball park cost of equipment and any gaskets needed. Mine will soon turn 70K miles (in 10 years) but most is local driving so many more cold starts vs highway miles. And I may be doing this somewhere down the road. Luckily no...
  3. J

Question about replacing one tire

I had a low tire warning on my left rear tire (it had ~20 psi when checked-- don't have TPMS sensors) and no leak. The valve core inside of the valve stem was loose and it lost air even with the cap on. Tightened it and aired it up to match the others. Checked the other ones and snugged up 1 or...
  4. J

Urgent! Impending Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Failure? 2015 CX-5

Judging from the corrosion I'd guess I-95 running from Canada to Florida.
  5. J

Pirelli Scorpion as plus 3 on CX-5 reviews?

I've had the Pirelli's for the last 16 months and they've been great.
  6. J

Pirelli Scorpion as plus 3 on CX-5 reviews?

If the "tighter to turn" means more steering effort, maybe it's because of lowered tire pressure when the colder outside temperature dropped the pressure. Higher inflation pressure (which comes with warmer outside temperatures also) makes tires easier to steer. Tire pressures need to be adjusted...
  7. J

2014 Mazda CX-5 misfire

As suggested above, look at the injector(s). If you haven't already, I'd start with a can/bottle of injector cleaner in the gas tank. Chevron Techron ( not the weaker Techroline if it's still around) Injector cleaner or Berryman B-12 Chemtool which I consider a strong cleaner. Also one of the BG...
  8. J

2017~2024 CX-5 Bypass Voltage Regulator?

Maybe I don't understand something here, but alternators aren't designed to run full output continuously. It might have a shorter lifespan than you estimate. And what about overcharging the battery? That's one function of the voltage regulator to prevent overcharge. I remember seeing batteries...
  9. J

CX-5 Year, Mileage and Repairs

Wheel bearings I don't hear much about but the lower control arms don't surprise. Am surprised they lasted that long on your roads. I would guess the front stabilizer bar bushings and end links would be replaced as well if they haven't been. Can't imagine them not being beat -up at that mileage...
  10. J

O2 Sensor - normal readings? 2014 CX-5

I agree with what @edmaz said. Regarding O2 sensor readings, the computer ignores them until the O2 sensor is hot enough to provide valid numbers, usually above 650*F. At that point the system is referred to as being in "closed loop" meaning the O2 sensor is now included since it's hot enough to...
  11. J

Anyone have an easy way to do your own tire rotation?

Yea well, sometimes simpler is quicker and it's been mainly reserved for lugs. And that style served well for 25 years until my first clicker many years ago. It's still in my suv and also handy to check loosening torque if I have the tires rotated someplace like for a free rotation and balance...
  12. J

Anyone have an easy way to do your own tire rotation?

I have a digital torque adapter that I picked up NIB at a good price on ebay. It's the "Bikemaster" brand and is identical to some others (including the "Powerbuilt 940962 on Amazon), some of which differ cosmetically. It covers 27.5-147.5 FT-Lbs. It's identical to the early version (no longer...
  13. J

2016 CX-5 Rear Caliper TSB

My experience is that 'judder' is felt on brake pedal with warped front rotors and seat of pants for rear rotors when slowing down from highway speeds. You might check rotor runout with a dial indicator after making sure the hub and rotor mating surfaces are clean and smooth.
  14. J

2016 CX-5 Interstate battery replaced with Walmart Everstart Evermax

I recently consulted the great internet about people's experiences with different batteries and it's a big mishmash as expected. One thing that surfaced a few times was that Costco tightened up the warranty and that their Interstate branded batteries were having early failures compared to a few...
  15. J

2017 CX-5: CEL P0847 - No Performance Issue - Dealer Wants New Transmission 8k

If it were me I'd run far away from that dealer.
  16. J

New Revised Mazda OEM Oil Filter? Pics

This rings a faint bell from years ago regarding what is/was called "E-core" design with the plastic center tube. Maybe found in Walmart Supertech and AC Delco oil filters and I believe were made by Champion Labs here in the USA. There should be information on the E-core filters on the BITOG...
  17. J

Is it my battery or something else? (2016.5 CX-5)

If that other wire through the clamp meter is a "body ground" wouldn't it just be the lower current leg of a parallel circuit. The higher current leg being the current path from positive terminal through starter and engine block and back to negative terminal. Maybe some effects of devices active...
  18. J

At shop and looks like I need rear brakes for the CX-5, recommendations?

If you plan to do the job yourself or have a friend or mechanic who'll install customer supplied parts, you could save a little money on parts by doing what I did on my 2014 Touring. I installed the cheaper (uncoated) AC Delco rotors shown and the pads, both specified for my 2014. Also I've...
  19. J

2016 CX-5 Loud Clunk when Braking

Since the caliper bracket ( the bracket that the caliper mounts to which in turn is bolted to the spindle/knuckle) has to be removed to remove rotors, I would suspect the bolts aren't properly tightened. I could see that when the caliper grabs a spinning rotor, that the bracket would shift with...
  20. J

2023 CX-5 Weird noise when engine started

I've owned mine going on 10 years and numerous times heard what reminds me of an exhaust leak. I just chalk it up to the nature of the beast.
Back