Search results

1. M

WTB: P5 Roller

Looking for a clean P5 shell in the midwest. Mine is rusting away badly, but the drivetrain is still decent. Hate the thought of buying a new car.
  2. M

Should I Buy This 3?

08 Grand Touring auto/2.3 5 door, 180k. All leather, Bose, etc. Paint is decent, one small rust spot beginning on the passenger side rear fender well. Trans is bad. Has a myriad of transmission codes and the fluid looks like engine oil. Engine seems to run fine, a couple 02 codes but nothing...
  3. M

P5 Evaporator Replacement

Last week my A/C was not blowing cold.. The compressor ran though. I put a can of refrigerant in it and it worked better for a day or so. Today it was back to not working, and the compressor didn't even run. There was a strong smell of A/C oil and refrigerant through the vents, fearing the...
  4. M

P5 Leaking Dust into Interior

Hot and dry weather is upon us again and I live on gravel, which results in a lot of dust. This car never used to leak, but it started sometime late last summer. If I put the A/C on fresh air with all the windows closed it's not as bad (positive pressure in the cabin), but if I drive with...
  5. M

DIY: Installing HIDs in Factory Housings

Removed because of misinformation.
  6. M

WTB: P5 Headlight Clips

This has been a lingering issue for a while now, but I haven't had any luck scouring the local scrap yards for a pair of low beam headlight clips. The PO tossed the clips and taped the bulbs in. I really need the clips and the screws, got money in Paypal.
  7. M

Flex Pipe?

Last weekend I got an MX6/Probe 4-2-1 header from Pick and pull for 15 bucks. Wasn't planning on running a header, but for that price I couldn't refuse. It's a little different than a Protege header, I'll have to weld another 02 bung onto it and figure something out for the EGR tube, and I will...
  8. M

Immobilizer Problems

I pulled the drivetrain and wiring harness out of an 01 Miata last weekend. It'll be transplanted into an 81 Toyota Starlet, should make for a fun car when finished. 140hp in an 1800lb car, with RWD. The car appeared to be wrecked (body damage on both sides) and there was fire damage in the...
  9. M

Loose Ignition Switch

Ever since I got my P5 it's had a picky ignition switch. I had to push inward on the key to get it to start, and even then it took 2 or 3 tries at times. I have never not been able to make it start though. Today I looked into it, and found out that the plastic switch is slightly loose in the...
  10. M

Looking For Gauges

Looking for electronic coolant temp and oil pressure gauges. Preferably white face. 2" or 52mm. Electronic meaning needle gauges but electronic sending units. I have money waiting in Paypal.
  11. M

Oil Pressure Switch Threads

Does anyone know off hand what threads the FSDE uses for the oil pressure switch? I'm going to be adding an oil pressure gauge and will likely need to add a T fitting to the back of the block, so I can run both the gauge and the factory switch. Unless there's another oil passage somewhere that's...
  12. M

Bumper Skin Repair

Today I backed into a box blade and poked a hole in my bumper skin. What is the best method to repair this? I'm cool with "looks good from 20 feet". My car isn't a gem or anywhere near show quality. There is only one P5 at local scrapyards, and I'm not sure if it has a bumper skin or not...
  13. M

Key Fob Won't Program

I never got a key fob with my P5, but from what I understand they all came with keyless entry. I bought a fob from a pick and pull today, and verified that it works with the testers at Oreilly's and Autozone. Had to install a new battery. It's identical to this one, but the sticker on the back...
  14. M

DIY: Injector Seal Replacement

After changing my engine last weekend I had vacuum leak that I had some trouble finding. I had odd idle behavior (severe loping after resetting ECU, eventually calmed down. Still had occasional hiccups) and an occasional P0171 code. I grabbed a can of brake cleaner and went to town. When I...
  15. M

Parting out Protege5 FSDE Engine

I swapped a JDM engine into my P5, and am gonna part out the old one. It ran great and had excellent compression on all cylinders, but it consumed a lot of oil. Didn't overheat or use any coolant. Because of the oil consumption, this engine should be considered as a rebuild-able core only. When...
  16. M

Show Me Your Rack

Amp rack, that is. I ran all my wires yesterday, and hooked everything up to make sure it worked. My amp is just laying between the box the plastic side panel. I'm wanting to see what you guys have devised for amp racks. The rear seat doesn't really appeal to me, and there isn't much there to...
  17. M

WTB: Protege5 Rear Wiper Arm

I bought my P5 with this missing. I live on gravel and it doesn't take long for my rear window to get completely covered. Needless to say I need the wiper back. I don't know if it got loose and fell off going down the highway or what, but the motor works. Unfortunately none of my local yards...
  18. M

Rebuild or Replace: That is the Question

As some of you probably already know I bought an 02 P5 with a smoking problem. I have pretty much narrowed it down to faulty oil rings. I could put rings in the engine without pulling it. The parts/labor cost for this is around 4-600 dollars. This is all assuming the crank is good (it has a...
  19. M

Questions About Parts for my Rebuild

I've decided to go ahead and put rings in my P5 with the engine in the car. It smokes like crazy when it's cold, but has good compression and otherwise runs great. Doesn't hardly use oil either, so I believe that my oil rings are full of carbon and not working. The car drives nicely and has 160k...
  20. M

My 02 P5 Build

Brought this home yesterday. 02 P5, 5 speed, Pure white. The only option it came with is a power moonroof, which works great. Supposedly has ABS, but I don't have any light for it on the cluster, and it didn't seem to work when I locked the wheels up in my driveway. It's got 160k. I paid 1800...
Back