Search results

1. S

Is it possible to check the Protege5 Timing belt?

See if it occurs when you shift and gas quickly... or if you are at a complete stop and you slowly and purposefully shift into reverse. My Oddy will clunk when shifting into reverse the very first shift, but then all is good. I wouldn't worry about it until something actually breaks. I would...
  2. S

Seized brake caliper and squishy brake pedal

Thanks, that is what I did. Seems good..
  3. S

This may have been a result of the ebrake adjustment not being set correctly. Which brings me to my next question... ebrake adjustment.... Directions I have are to tighten until the wheel cannot be moved by hand and then loosen it. Do I loosen it just a little (and the rotor still drags a...
  4. S

O/D Light on at cold start. Can anyone explain this? 2002 Protege5

Could this be the neutral safety switch? Just a thought, but this has thrown a code for me in the past.
  5. S

It was the brake calipers... so I got 3 bad calipers in a row from 2 different manufacturers. Just got a new one from Advance Auto.... see how the piston is fully in on the first pic but sticks out on the 2nd pic... I tried pushing that 2nd one in w/o it connected to the car and had the brake...
  6. 20231013_152042[1].jpg

20231013_152042[1].jpg

7. 20231013_152000[1].jpg

20231013_152000[1].jpg

8. S

Vibration upon acceleration in 1st and 2nd

Maybe... but you usually feel vibration for motor mounts around 55-65mph range. Put it up on jack stands and take a look... maybe exhaust is loose or hitting shift linkage. That would be be my guess... also check radiator and anything else that connects to engine and transmission.
  9. S

Well.... Caliper came in and it wouldn't fit over the brake pads and rotor... tried compressing the piston and it wouldn't go in any further. (NUGEON brand) Ordered another one (RAYSBESTOS) ... looks to be same issue... measured, have not tried to install.... but looks like I need another...
  10. S

This is on the 03 automatic P5. hmmm, maybe. Checked again and the brake fluid was way low, so pretty sure it boiled off. I've got a replacement caliper on the way... if that doesn't work then I'll try a new brake line. Fortunately I have plenty of cars and can let this one sit until parts com in.
  11. S

Replaced rear brake pads both rear calipers right rear brake line Everything worked fine for about 150 miles....then.... Left rear caliper seized and the person who was driving it said there was noticeable 'smoke' coming from the left rear wheel. The brake pedal is very soft and squishy now...
  12. S

OBDII Checks not complete after 3000 miles of driving

Yeah I won't pass in MD until they all are checked. Plan is to keep getting extensions until they don't give me one. Then fail it. At this point if I spend x dollars (not sure what it is) and it doesn't fix it then they will pass me. So, I'll take it to a shop and have them wrestle with the...
  13. S

OBDII Checks not complete after 3000 miles of driving

Update... 1) got an extension from April 28 to Sep 6 2) Still hasn't sorted itself out... no codes... but CAT Mon is still Pending... 3) Got another extension till Jan 10 - filled it out online, not sure why they keep granting me extensions, fine by me though
  14. S

Review: DFJ (TWM style) short shift lever

I have stock shifter and have replaced all my bushings with brass. My shifter vibrates at certain RPMs and is one of the few things that annoys me in the car. 1) Will this kit fix that or maybe make it worse 2) If this kit doesn't fix it... how would I fix it?
  15. S

Got P0660 and P1250 Error Codes

Yes. All of the ones that look the same are interchangeable... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZYXNKDZ/ https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=10115668&cc=1416833&pt=4936&jsn=848
  16. S

Got P0660 and P1250 Error Codes

P0660 - Most likely your VICS vacuum switching (solenoid) valve. Easy and cheap fix. Get two of them as the same part is used for the VTCS solenoid and the PRC solenoid, and these fail fairly regularly. P1250 - Pressure Regulator Control. I can't remember where this is located. Replace...
  17. S

Troubling Engine Noise

I have one last a good 60k+ miles after it started burning 3-4qts of oil per 3500 miles. It was still running at 343k miles when I junked it. It was going into limp mode if I took it up to 80mph for more than a few minutes. If you check the oil every time you get gas and do an oil change...
  18. S

P2009 and P0660 error code questions

Got a CEL on my auto P5. Pulled the codes and I have P2009 and P0660 P0660 - That is most likely the VICS solenoid gone bad. Will replace. P2009 - Is that most likely the VTCS Solenoid? with a possibility of and issue with the VTCS Delay Valve or VTCS Shutter Valve? 1) Is it ok to dive the...
  19. S

What have you done to your P5 today?

Washed and polished. Took some pics and sent them to RockAuto. Hopefully get on one of their magnets...
  20. IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

Back