Search results

1. C

Mazda CX-50 Build page is now live

As I suspected, the additional width is from the flares. I have a narrow one car garage, I wonder what the door opening width is like. My CX-5 doors bump against the wall right at the first door detent.
  2. C

Impressions of the CX-50

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-safety/laminated-glass-reduce-risk-exploding-sunroofs/ Based on this article from 2018 it sounds like most manufacturers with panoramic roofs are using laminated glass for it. I bet it is laminated. It is kind of a confusing article though as some...
  3. C

Impressions of the CX-50

All automobile glass is safety (tempered) glass. The windshield is also laminated glass.
  4. C

CX-50 Dimensional Specs

The roof line is supposed to be lowered. They say so its easier to access roof rails equipment, but I bet it also looks better. A side effect of this could be a lower absolute cargo capacity on paper. But that may not matter to folks who don't pack their cargo all the way to the headliner. A...
  5. C

CX-50 Dimensional Specs

Those fender flares may push it to technically wider. IIRC mirrors are not typically included in width measurements but fenders are.
  6. C

Poll Seriously considering the Mazda CX-50?

They're not twins. Completely different vehicles. I think this misconception comes from them being built under the same roof, but it is a totally different assembly line.
  7. C

2013~2016 Stiff brake pedal after sitting for awhile

It's only started doing it recently during cool weather (though here in Texas, sometimes its over 80 degrees on random winter days). I was thinking it could be related and clear up when warmer temps are more reliable, but it still does it on those warm days.
  8. C

It had the brake fluid replaced in 2017. It's pretty clean.
  9. C

So the pedal on my 2014 (built Jan 13) now stiffens up a lot after sitting overnight. I can push it in a nudge to start the engine and that's about it. I'm guessing this is some kind of slow vacuum leak draining the booster. No issues with starting the engine and it performs normally after doing...
  10. C

CX-50 North American Assembly - Quality?

My CX-5 was built in Hiroshima and my wife's 3 was built in Mexico. Her car is built better with fewer rattles, less NVH and smaller gaps. It was also manufactured about 14 months later. It does not matter where a car is built. What matters is the process.
  11. C

CX-60 and CX-80 for Europe (CX-70 and CX-90 for the US)

Looks great, I wonder how much wider it is. Also wonder if those cheesy silver trim pieces are optional.
  12. C

Considering buying 2014/5/6 CX-5 <65K miles: Any major repairs coming up?

2014 here with a little over 60k. OEM tires were replaced around 36k. Only non-routine item was the gas cap of all things failed inspection one year, was still under warranty so just popped a new free one on. Brake pads are still at 60% life. On my third battery - the second failed prematurely...
  13. C

Straight 6 skyactiv-x engine in development

More like a halo car, like the Corvette. For example, I don't think Toyota has any kind of business case for the Supra based on sales alone.
  14. C

I'm trying to think of a way this could fit in with a new RX. They've said the rotary component could be a Range eXtender for an electric. Maybe they sell two versions? Electric RX with rotary range extender, and a straight-6 powered version. I can't see them putting much resources into a sedan...
  15. C

Mazda will put that engine in many cars for years to come amortizing the cost across thousands if not millions of vehicles. No other Toyota vehicle uses that type of engine, or is even able to package such an engine without significant other compromises. Mazda's small size and limited lineup...
  16. C

The issue is emissions. The catalytic converter doesn't do its job until it gets pretty hot, but skyactiv engines use an unusually long exhaust header as part of their efficiency improvements. So on cold starts, exhaust gases cool down (relatively) before they get to the cat. To combat this it...
  17. C

Being the largest in the world also means they have lots of shareholders to answer to. If "leeching" is cheaper, so be it. Everyone else does it. I bet the Supra, even with its BMW drivetrain and infotainment, doesn't break even or barely does, on the development and cost of setting up an...
  18. C

The high compression gives it a diesel-like sound. And if the engine was cold it runs in a fuel-rich mode for a moment to warm up to optimum temp - this is also somewhat noisy. Sure, you could add insulation, but this is just weight and at the cost of efficiency.
  19. C

I wonder, is the skyactiv-x considered naturally aspirated? It has an electric supercharger but its more for keeping the air at the optimum ratio than increasing power.
  20. C

2017~2024 Chewed up plastic after only 30000 m?

That's a scrape. Driveway or other concrete.
Back