Search results

1. S

Alternator? Randomly turning off/no start (Protege5) B3 engine

I had a problem with mine shutting off randomly too. I replaced the fuel pump relay and fuel pump as I had no codes to read either. Turned out to be the wiring for the crank sensor had rubbed thru the sheathing on the back side of the PS pump. It would short out and kill the engine. Hope this helps
  2. S

2004~2008 Mazda3 acceleration problems

I agree with troubleshooting and I understood the OP to have done much of that. I was suggesting to check the trans shifting functions manually because our issue is the trans not shifting properly and not downshifting completely to a complete stop. I have heard many versions of this problem and...
  3. S

That is what a tranny shop told us too. The TCM starts to fail and the trans does weird things. The TCM is built into the ECU for 04 and 05 models. Not sure about 06. The 07s and up are a seperate unit from what I have been told. The replacement ECUs for the 05 years are no longer made both...
  4. S

My sister has an 05 with a similar issue. She says it won't go when trying to leave from a dead stop. Very inconsistant issue and usually happens once warmed up and driving for a few minutes also not throwing any codes. After checking many things I had her try and shift into manual sport mode...
  5. S

CX7 Air Intake Upgrade

Engine parts from a speed 3 should work. Contact corksport for other items such as chassis and suspension that are interchangeable from other models.
  6. S

Protege5 springs…Please help

Check classifieds. Blkwidow has H&R springs. They have a very similar drop to Eibach and he is a good guy to buy from
  7. S

2003 with Shiftable Automatic, won't shift to 4th - Help!

I know there is a procedure to test the shift solenoids on the trans but I cant find it now. I would suggest dropping the pan and testing those solenoids. Good chance one of them had failed. Also good time to do a fluid and filter change and see what the old stuff is hiding.
  8. S

Troubling Engine Noise

The baseball bat keeps your head further away from moving parts lol. I had an issue once with a honda where the timing cover either got hot or something and somehow warped itself and ended up rubbing on the timing belt ever so slightly making a strange sound. It took a while to get it tracked...
  9. S

What have you done to your P5 today?

Try to not damage your original nozzles. There were reports of the tribute nozzles not spraying the entire viewing area on the p5. I do not have them so I cant verify. So if your dont like them you can switch back. The tribute stalk however is a handy upgrade!
  10. S

Car won't start after running with a quart of oil over

Thats what i use too. I dont need anything more than that for a daily n/a car. Take the $15 gamble and try the elm. If you want more then get the Forscan later. But at least the $15 one will read your codes and give you some feedback on engine vitals to get you back up and running
  11. S

Amazon has some bluetooth readers. Elm327 i think. Use your phone with torque app and it will read codes and you can even set it up for some real time gauges if you need to. Helpful when driving for things like temp and oil pressure. It should be enough to help you in this situation and if i...
  12. S

1999 Protege 1.8L Transmission issues? Help!

Washers are cheap and easy to throw on with the car on the ground. Just remove the center nut drop 2 or 3 on and reinstall the nut. Remwmber to do all 4 struts. Be even sweeter if the pop goes away with it! The fluid is another thing... maybe he can send you some pics of the tranny at different...
  13. S

Did you check the code? After you check it then clear the codes so you know if you fixed it and caused another problem. I havent seen one not start being over filled but i also havent seen it overfilled by 1+ quart. I have seen engines blow out the mains and even start burning oil as it gets...
  14. S

Troubling Engine Noise

So try this.. get a wooden baseball bat and go start your car. Lol dont beat up the car. Put the bat against things like bell housing, ps pump, ac compressor, alt, and so on. With the bat against one of those put your ear against the other end of the bat. You will hear a bearing going bad in one...
  15. S

When you did the lowering springs did you add washers on top of the strut mount before the center nut? On the p5 the threads dont go down far enough to make the nut tight. 2 or 3 fender washers take up enough gap to cinch it down tight. What is the quantity of fluid needed to refill after it has...
  16. S

Sounds like something isnt right with the new rack. But... have you had it up on jacks turning lock to lock? Prob not the issue but did you try and bleed the ps system? There are bushings that hold the rack onto the subframe check those for excessive play too. Where is the trans leaking from? I...
  17. S

Need valve stem seals, top cat and smog

Im with pcb - dont use synthetic on an oil burner. Youre just throwing money away. And if you are fouling plugs stick with the copper ones and dont go iridium. I use 10w30 regular and do changes at 3000. Car seems happy with that and uses minimal oil between changes at 185k." Guarantee to pass"...
  18. S

Troubling Engine Noise

Did you get a chance to try the Lucas oil stabilizer? Maybe check your spark plugs. I know a guy who thought he had rod knock. Turned out one of the plugs on his bmw was loose and ended up blowing out of the head. 1 threaded insert later its been running fine ever since. Simple thing to check...
  19. S

2003 Protege Repeated Wheel Bearing Failures

What quality of bearing are you using? The cheaper ones typically dont last as long and even less in bad weather environments. Another thing to look at is the hub itself. Is it possible there is damage or excessive wear in the hub where the bearing seats? That might cause the bearing to not seat...
  20. S

Need valve stem seals, top cat and smog

Some guys in Cali will not pass you with the non fouler. Some do - even though its not right. That being said it does work to rid p0420/p0421 codes. Yes, excessive oil consumption over time will destroy a cat. There is stuff called Cat-a-clean or something like that and Guaranteed to pass. Both...
Back