Best All-Season Michelin 225/55R19 Tires?

Hi All, I am looking to replace the OEM tires on my Mazda CX-5 2016 GT with Michelin all-season tires.

I am getting the following Michelin tire options from Costco:
Michelin - Premier LTX
Michelin - Primacy Tour A/S
Michelin - CrossClimate2

My use-case:
1. Sunbelt state, dry weather.
2. Daily driver with good dry and wet tractions (rain)
3. Reduce cabin noise
4. Good handling
5. Tread life

a) Based on above criteria, I have eliminated CrossClimate2 since it seems to be more geared toward snow driving, which I don't need. Please advise if I am making a mistake by eliminating this option?

b) If CrossClimate2 is right to be eliminated, could someone help deciding between Primacy Tour A/S and Premier LTX (keeping aside cost factor) and what would go well on GT?

Thank you!!

Totally satisfied! Very quiet, good handling in wet or dry. Thumbs up!
Now that you've had them for awhile, do you still like them? I was just quoted $1,246 by my local Discount Tire! I went online and went through their order system. After tax and all fee's, it came out to $1,090, plus I get $100 Visa rebate card, so "essentially" $990. Tire Rack came in at $1,011 before the rebate, but their installers come out in a van. That sounds more convenient than practical.

Do you remember what you paid and who you bought from?

Edit: I see he hasn't logged in for 3 months. I was able to search his old posts and see that he paid about the same as my online quote. If anyone else is running these, please chime in with your observations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Michelin CrossClimate2s were installed at Discount Tire this afternoon.
I received a $110 discount from DT for ordering online, and there is a Michelin Back-To-School rebate of $100, bringing my grand total to $839.72.
Nothing to report as far as performance since I have only put 12 miles on them so far. What I can tell you is that they look a lot better than I thought they would!

EDIT: I just read the Michelin Back-To-School rebate again, and the rebate specifically for CrossClimate2s is $100 not $70 !!! I made the change above.

Attachments

• IMG_5417.jpeg
    IMG_5417.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Upvote 0
My Michelin CrossClimate2s were installed at Discount Tire this afternoon.
I received a $110 discount from DT for ordering online, and there is a Michelin Back-To-School rebate of $70, bringing my grand total to $869.72.
Nothing to report as far as performance since I have only put 12 miles on them so far. What I can tell you is that they look a lot better than I thought they would!
Thanks! That's a great deal! Mine will end up about $100 more than you paid. I guess living in a populous area is not a good thing right now. :) They look great!

Upvote 0
Thanks! That's a great deal! Mine will end up about $100 more than you paid. I guess living in a populous area is not a good thing right now. :) They look great!
I just read the Michelin Back-To-School rebate again, and the rebate specifically for CrossClimate2s is $100 not $70 !!! Even Better(y). (I made the change above.)

Upvote 0
I though Discount Tire Store will do price-match even on online price? At least my local DT does that all the time, and I’m living in a large metroplex area.

Upvote 0
I though Discount Tire Store will do price-match even on online price? At least my local DT does that all the time, and I’m living in a large metroplex area.
I ordered online, just like ACSCX5. I do not see a $110 discount being offered, so I just assume it's location specific. I do get the $100 back on a Visa card rebate, which is a Michelin thing. As I stated earlier, the only better price I found was through the Tire rack, but I would have to rely on their van installation. I read some reviews on using that method and it didn't seem like a good option.

Upvote 0
"Tell me Michael, how can a billion Chinese people be wrong" (okay, hundreds of CX-5 owners) - Go to Discount tire and get the Conti's LX25

Upvote 0
I ordered online, just like ACSCX5. I do not see a $110 discount being offered, so I just assume it's location specific. I do get the $100 back on a Visa card rebate, which is a Michelin thing. As I stated earlier, the only better price I found was through the Tire rack, but I would have to rely on their van installation. I read some reviews on using that method and it didn't seem like a good option.
Oh, looks like you missed Discount Tire Direct online $110 flash sale discount SBMongoos、HyFlyer、and ACSCX5 all took advantage of?

Are you content with 19” Toyos or replacing them ASAP?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
"Tell me Michael, how can a billion Chinese people be wrong" (okay, hundreds of CX-5 owners) - Go to Discount tire and get the Conti's LX25
;)

Yeah Continental CrossContact LX25 will be my next set of tires for my CX-5. But it’s going to be a while and things could change.

I personally wouldn’t buy any more most expensive (over-priced?) Michelin tires based a couple of bad experiences of using them (unless the price is competitive).

And I don’t like using directional tires like this Michelin CrossClimate² as they can’t do recommended tire rotation pattern.

Upvote 0
I looked at them, but decided the Michelin's were better suited for our needs. Actually, my second choice was the Pirelli Scorpion AS +3's. I'm sure any tire is better than the OEM Toyo's!

Upvote 0
And I don’t like using directional tires like this Michelin CrossClimate² as they can’t do recommended tire rotation pattern.
My CX-5 manual specifically says:
"Rotate unidirectional tires and radial tires that have an asymmetrical tread pattern or studs only from front to rear, not from side to side. Tire performance will be reduced if rotated from side to side."

Upvote 0
My CX-5 manual specifically says:
"Rotate unidirectional tires and radial tires that have an asymmetrical tread pattern or studs only from front to rear, not from side to side. Tire performance will be reduced if rotated from side to side."
Yes, car manufactures definitely can not recommend directional tires (meaning: asymmetrical tread pattern) using their “preferred” cross pattern on tire rotation.

Upvote 0
Yes, car manufactures definitely can not recommend directional tires (meaning: asymmetrical tread pattern) with their “preferred” cross pattern on tire rotation.
As far as I can see, Mazda makes no recommendation as to a "preferred" rotation pattern nor a "preferred" tread pattern. The manual shows an image of the criss-cross rotation pattern (without commentary of preference) then cautions not to use that pattern for unidirectional tires. In fact, you might say that the front to rear pattern is the "preferred" rotation pattern for directional tires.

From the CX-5 Owner's Manual:​

Tire Rotation​

Rotate tires periodically:
Irregular tire wear is dangerous. To equalize tread wear for maintaining good performance in handling and braking, rotate the tires every 12,000 km (7,500 miles). However Mazda recommends to rotate every 8,000 km (5,000 miles) to help increase tire life and distribute wear more evenly.

07031402-allff01-001.png

Rotate unidirectional tires and radial tires that have an asymmetrical tread pattern or studs only from front to rear, not from side to side. Tire performance will be reduced if rotated from side to side.

Upvote 0

In fact, you might say that the front to rear pattern is the "preferred" rotation pattern for directional tires.
In fact, the only way to rotate tires with asymmetrical tread pattern is from front to rear, not from side to side. This’s the limitation on tires with asymmetrical tread pattern for tire rotation, but you can do either way on normal tires.

Upvote 0
as a side note on the cross climates tires, i know folks have mentioned the “b” rating on the crossclimate2’s traction, there is however the crossclimate suv tire thats rated “a” for traction.

i read somewhere that the crossclimate suv has a stiffer sidewall than the crossclimate2.

i have been pretty pleased with mine so far, it is noisier than the conti lx20s it replaced. traction and predictability is good in all types of weather.

Upvote 0
In fact, the only way to rotate tires with asymmetrical tread pattern is from front to rear, not from side to side.
Agree 100%.

Actually, unidirectional tires CAN be rotated using the “recommended” rotation pattern. That pattern, in this case, is front-to-back. Mazda clearly states this in the owner’s manual.
There are two perfectly acceptable and recommended rotation patterns described in the Mazda owner’s manual which are consistent with industry standards. Buy whichever tire tread style you like, then rotate using the pattern appropriate to that tire.
A person may prefer one rotation pattern over the other which may limit their tire choice, but this would be a self-imposed preference; not a Mazda one.

Upvote 0
In fact, the only way to rotate tires with asymmetrical tread pattern is from front to rear, not from side to side. This’s the limitation on tires with asymmetrical tread pattern for tire rotation, but you can do either way on normal tires.
Actually, no, you can rotate from one side to the other. I mentioned this before, but I once had a car that had directional tires and front and back rims. Since the tires were so expensive, I had them removed from the rims and remounted to rotate. Yes, it was a little on the expensive side, but it prolonged the life of the tires significantly. The CC2's are relatively cheap, so I have no problem with front to back rotations.

Upvote 0
Actually, no, you can rotate from one side to the other. I mentioned this before, but I once had a car that had directional tires and front and back rims. Since the tires were so expensive, I had them removed from the rims and remounted to rotate. Yes, it was a little on the expensive side, but it prolonged the life of the tires significantly. The CC2's are relatively cheap, so I have no problem with front to back rotations.
Yes you can re-mount directional tires to cross-rotate, but that defeats the purpose of making the tire turing another direction by cross-rotating to reduce the uneven tire wear caused mainly by braking. I wonder how much this extra effort can do to prolong the tire life?

Upvote 0
Yes you can re-mount directional tires to cross-rotate, but that defeats the purpose of making the tire turing another direction by cross-rotating to reduce the uneven tire wear caused mainly by braking. I wonder how much this extra effort can do to prolong the tire life?
You wear out the outer edges of the tire first, especially the fronts. When you remove and remount, the outside becomes the inside. It made a big difference on my old IROC-Z. Again, I won't be doing that with the CC2's, but if I really wanted to get the maximum life out of them, I would.

Upvote 0
Back