Best All-Season Michelin 225/55R19 Tires?

Hi All, I am looking to replace the OEM tires on my Mazda CX-5 2016 GT with Michelin all-season tires.

I am getting the following Michelin tire options from Costco:
Michelin - Premier LTX
Michelin - Primacy Tour A/S
Michelin - CrossClimate2

My use-case:
1. Sunbelt state, dry weather.
2. Daily driver with good dry and wet tractions (rain)
3. Reduce cabin noise
4. Good handling
5. Tread life

a) Based on above criteria, I have eliminated CrossClimate2 since it seems to be more geared toward snow driving, which I don't need. Please advise if I am making a mistake by eliminating this option?

b) If CrossClimate2 is right to be eliminated, could someone help deciding between Primacy Tour A/S and Premier LTX (keeping aside cost factor) and what would go well on GT?

Thank you!!

20210116-102832.jpg

20210116-102904.jpg

Michelin offers 30day replace guarantee so try whatever you choose. If you dont like them you can switch the cost will be mount/dismount/balance.

Also comes with flat tire change or towing up to 100 or so miles for 3 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi All, I am looking to replace the OEM tires on my Mazda CX-5 2016 GT with Michelin all-season tires.

Michelin - Premier LTX
Michelin - CrossClimate2

My use-case:
3. Reduce cabin noise
4. Good handling
5. Tread life

a) Based on above criteria, I have eliminated CrossClimate2 since it seems to be more geared toward snow driving, which I don't need. Please advise if I am making a mistake by eliminating this option?

b) If CrossClimate2 is right to be eliminated, could someone help deciding between Primacy Tour A/S and Premier LTX (keeping aside cost factor) and what would go well on GT?

Thank you!!
I used to get only Michelin tires but after several disappointing incidents, 2 blowouts and one set of tires with sidewall dry rot, I started to look for more on different tire brands based on specs and reviews.

In addition, car manufactures would want to use higher tire pressure for better fuel efficiency. Newer tires designed by tire manufactures are all featuring higher maximum inflation pressure at least to 51 psi. But Michelin keeps offering most new tires to US market with 44 psi old design.

Here are specs and prices on tires you’re interested and 2 popular tires by forum members on 225/55R/19 from Tire Rack for comparison:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Michelin Premier LTX225/55R19
99V
620 A A44 psi8.5/32"27 lbs.60,000 Miles
6 Years
$226.63
- TR
Michelin Primacy Tour A/S225/55R19
99V
540 A A44 psi9/32"28 lbs.55,000 Miles
6 Years
$219.99
- TR
Michelin CrossClimate²225/55R19
99V
640 B A51 psi10/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
6 Years
$221.99
- TR
General AltiMAX RT43225/55R19
99H
700 A A51 psi10/32"25 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$177.99
- TR
Continental CrossContact LX25225/55R19
99V
740 A A51 psi10/32"27 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$198.99
- TR

Based on UTQG alone Michelin CrossClimate² is out IMO with B rating on Traction. It’s a shame for Michelin coming out a B rated Traction on UTQG with such a high-price tag!

Michelin Premier LTX has been criticized heavily on short tread life, but Michelin Primacy Tour A/S has even lower 540 Treadwear UTQG than Premier LTX’s 620. We can almost guarantee the tread life on Primacy Tour A/S will be shorter than Premier LTX.

You are right....to a point. I have run Michelins for years and put Michelin Premier LTX's on my last CX-5. They gave a super ride and I absolutely loved them, BUT, they wore out WAY to quickly, as many other users have confirmed. That was too much of a compromise for me, so no more Premier LTX's for me. I have been researching the new Michelin CrossClimate 2's but many have suggested that they have too harsh a ride and are NOT very quiet. So....at the moment it looks like the Conti CC LX25's are the best bet overall, yet I will keep my eye out for any new Michelin products over the summer, as I will probably need to replace my OEM Toyo's by the the fall.

Here’re Tire Ratings Charts from Tire Rack on tires CX-5 uses:

Tire Category: Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season - 225/55R19
274E381D-A47F-48AB-B7BF-75072732278F.jpeg

Tire Category: Grand Touring All-Season - 225/55R19
0408FD27-8E25-4128-9BCE-AC270F9DB1F8.jpeg

Tire Category: Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season - 225/65R17
9EC6049E-5E24-4E42-B204-655D7D6B12E6.jpeg

You may find high ratings on some newly released tires such as Michelin CrossClimate² and Michelin Primacy Tour A/S on 225/55R19. But both of them have minimum miles (~300K) accumulated on Tire Rack reviews, most people wouldn’t really know the true treadwear and might give it a high rating. Once more miles are used, the poor treadwear on Michelin CrossClimate² and Michelin Primacy Tour A/S would get exposed from their relative low UTQG treadwear ratings. That’s exactly what happened on Michelin Premier LTX. The rating was #1 on the chart at beginning, but it keeps dropping especially on treadwear which is only 4.9 out of 10 with 13M miles accumulated. And if you notice, Tire Rack has listed Michelin Premier LTX as close-out item.

With all things considered, I’m not going to choose any Michelin 225/55R19 tires, especially they all have highest price tags.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great inputs, thank you for sharing your perspective👍. I think Continental LX25 being relatively newer model, also lacks enough clocked miles for tread wear analysis I assume?

Upvote 0
Great inputs, thank you for sharing your perspective👍. I think Continental LX25 being relatively newer model, also lacks enough clocked miles for tread wear analysis I assume?
Yes Continental CrossContact LX25 is pretty new too. But his previous version LX20 had performed pretty good on every category. With 601K review miles, the treadwear on LX25 has been stayed at 9.4 / 10 which is much better than Michelin Premier LTX. Further, 740 Treadwear UTQG and 10/32” tread depth (almost a standard for a new tire) on LX25 both are the indicators that the tire should have longer tread life than LTX which has 620 Treadwear UTQG and 8.5/32” tread depth. And if you search the forum, several members have been using LX25 on their CX-5, none of them has negative commends so far. Unobtanium is a one have been using the LX25 since Aug. 2019 with ~45K miles of driving experience.

Im at almost 17K miles, and my Toyo A36s had 5/32 and 6/32 (F and R), respectively, last time they were rotated (every 5K miles). They feel unsafe in the rain at present. I finally sacked up and took advantage of the $70 rebate Continental has, and bought some LX25's. I had REALLY good experiences with my LX20's on my last CX5 (lasted 50K+ miles, did amazing in ALL weather conditions, even white-out snowstorms).
I love my LX25's. Good in every way. I have a little over 30K miles on them, now, and still have a small bit of the "S" left on all 4 tires. Considering I drive semi-aggressively and have the turbo model, that's pretty awesome! Rotated every 5k miles except for a couple of times when all wear was 100% even.

Upvote 0
On my Gen 1 CX-5 I ran Michelin Premier LTX's (when the OEM Toyo's wore out) and absolutely loved the ride they provided, BUT, as others have said they wear out way too quickly. Fortunately I run separate winter tires so was able to get my LTX's to last longer then most. Now, on my Gen 2 CX-5 my Toyo's may need replacing this summer or fall and I have discussed options with my COSTCO sales rep. I ruled out the new Michelin CC 2's that the sales rep suggested after one of the tire techs there warned me that they have a harsh ride and aren't very quiet. As I read that the Primacy Tour A/S's also wear out rather quickly I have ruled them out as well. From COSTCO the only other tire that I would have considered is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus 2's, BUT, I think I might rule them out as they are H rated and it says on the Pirelli tire sticker.... not to use a replacement tire with a speed rating lower that that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (which is a V rating for my CX-5). Yes, I know, who is ever going to run a CX-5 at the speed that an H rated tire is capable of, but I am more concerned about any warranty work being denied if I opted for an H rated Pirelli. So, unless Michelin comes out with a more viable option between now and this fall I will go with what I currently believe to be the best Crossover/SUV Touring All Season option out there......the Continental CC LX25. Even though it isn't sold by COSTCO, I see that my local Mazda dealer sells Continental's.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
On my Gen 1 CX-5 I ran Michelin Premier LTX's (when the OEM Toyo's wore out) and absolutely loved the ride they provided, BUT, as others have said they wear out way too quickly. Fortunately I run separate winter tires so was able to get my LTX's to last longer then most. Now, on my Gen 2 CX-5 my Toyo's may need replacing this summer or fall and I have discussed options with my COSTCO sales rep. I ruled out the new Michelin CC 2's that the sales rep suggested after one of the tire techs there warned me that they have a harsh ride and aren't very quiet. As I read that the Primacy Tour A/S's also wear out rather quickly I have ruled them out as well. From COSTCO the only other tire that I would have considered is the Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus 2's, BUT, I think I might rule them out as they are H rated and it says on the Pirelli tire sticker.... not to use a replacement tire with a speed rating lower that that recommended by the vehicle manufacturer (which is a V rating for my CX-5). Yes, I know, who is ever going to run a CX-5 at the speed that an H rated tire is capable of, but I am more concerned about any warranty work being denied if I opted for an H rated Pirelli. So, unless Michelin comes out with a more viable option between now and this fall I will go with what I currently believe to be the best Crossover/SUV Touring All Season option out there......the Continental CC LX25. Even though it isn't sold by COSTCO, I see that my local Mazda dealer sells Continental's.
Yes, unfortunately my local Costco sells only Michelin, Bridgestone and BFG tires. I prefer to change them at Costco or some tire chain like DiscountTires for ease of tire services and free rotations. I have only one Mazda dealer near my vicinity and they really suck.

Also, I was all sold on Continental LX25's except for couple of reviews in Tirerack (and a youtube video) about a weird humming sound at cruising speed (I have filtered for Mazda).

However, on the other thread in Mazda247 for LX25's, people here have not heard of such noises and I have seen mostly positive reviews in this forum. So, I am still debating if I can just take a chance with LX25 or stick with Michelin's. Decisions, decisions!!

Upvote 0

Michelin - Premier LTX
Michelin - CrossClimate2

My use-case:
3. Reduce cabin noise
4. Good handling
5. Tread life

Thank you!!
I just replaced the Toyos on my 2018 CX-5 with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires, and I am happy with the purchase. Very quiet, slightly crisper handling over the Toyos, and hopefully, they will last more than 30,000 miles. The Toyos were just about done at that mileage.

Upvote 0
I just replaced the Toyos on my 2018 CX-5 with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S tires, and I am happy with the purchase. Very quiet, slightly crisper handling over the Toyos, and hopefully, they will last more than 30,000 miles. The Toyos were just about done at that mileage.
I have about 27K miles on the OEM Toyo's, seems a little bit of tread is still left, but have cracks on the top (sides) of the tire. Hence, I am looking to change them as soon as possible. Almost everyone in this forum agrees the Toyos were just a bad set of OEM's shipped along with the CX-5's.

Upvote 0
I have about 27K miles on the OEM Toyo's, seems a little bit of tread is still left, but have cracks on the top (sides) of the tire. Hence, I am looking to change them as soon as possible. Almost everyone in this forum agrees the Toyos were just a bad set of OEM's shipped along with the CX-5's.
They had to save money somewhere, I guess. My Toyos were getting very noisy and almost to the wear bars at 32K; I'm not the only one who had the issue, my brother has the same vehicle, basically the same mileage and the same problem. His is a lease, so he's going to live with it until the lease is up later in the year.

Upvote 0
If or when I ever get another new CX-5 I will definitely be asking the dealer to swap out the OEM Toyos for a another/better brand of tires before I take delivery!!

Upvote 0
I've been reading a lot on the Michelin CrossClimate2's and a lot of reviews say they are noisy. But tirerack.com has the Continental LX25's with a lower noise rating (meaning noisier). Can anyone comment on the noise of these two tires?

Upvote 0
Just FYI, Discount Tire and DiscountTireDirect.com have a pretty good promo going on Michelins right now (like, through April 15. $90 off a set, plus more discounts if you use their card.

And I know this particular tire isn't being discussed her, but I just replaced a set of Micheline Primacy MXM4 ZP run-flats on my wife's car. Treadwear rating 420, with a 30k warranty, and we got 70k out of them. (In just a little over 2 years! Lots of highway miles.) Could have gone more, but one picked up a nail near the sidewall and I didn't want a brand new tire with 3 getting close to done. Very even wear, and virtually as quiet as when they were new.

Having said that, I'm planning on the Conti LX25's when the CX-5 needs new shoes.

Upvote 0
I've been reading a lot on the Michelin CrossClimate2's and a lot of reviews say they are noisy. But tirerack.com has the Continental LX25's with a lower noise rating (meaning noisier). Can anyone comment on the noise of these two tires?
From Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tire Ratings Charts by Tire Rack, Continental CrossContact LX25 on Noise currently is rated 8.8 with 627K miles reported. It was 8.9 with 189K miles reported.

From Grand Touring All-Season Tire Ratings Charts by Tire Rack, Michelin CrossClimate² on Noise currently is rated 8.9 with 296K miles reported.

CrossClimate² is a Grand Touring tire which is supposed to be quieter than LX25 which is a Crossover/SUV Touring tire. And CrossClimate² has much less miles reported. The difference of 0.1 here is not significant.

Like I said in post #3 above, you want to see “640 B A” UTQG ratings on CrossClimate². The “B” rating on Traction is poor, especially from a high-priced tire. I’ll never buy a tire with anything less than “A” rating on Traction and Temperature from UTQG!

Upvote 0
⋯ And I know this particular tire isn't being discussed her, but I just replaced a set of Micheline Primacy MXM4 ZP run-flats on my wife's car. Treadwear rating 420, with a 30k warranty, and we got 70k out of them. (In just a little over 2 years! Lots of highway miles.) Could have gone more, but one picked up a nail near the sidewall and I didn't want a brand new tire with 3 getting close to done. Very even wear, and virtually as quiet as when they were new.
Other than expensive, I’ve heard too many negatives on run-flats.

Upvote 0
On the LX25 vs CC2 noise issue, one review said the CC2 isn’t appreciably louder on the noise meter, but has a distinct low-pitched growl that may annoy some drivers. I have poor high-freq hearing (too many years riding motorcycles and flying small planes) so I suspect I would be more bothered than someone with normal hearing, but I haven’t driven either tire personally.

- Mark

Upvote 0
Other than expensive, I’ve heard too many negatives on run-flats.
We got around 19k miles from the OEM run-flats on my wife's previous 2006 Sienna AWD. Horrible ride & noise worsened as they wore down. Replaced them with regular Michelins & bought a spare wheel & tire to keep inside. It drove like an entirely different vehicle after that. At the time I bought 5 Michelins & a spare used alloy wheel for the price of 4 Dunlop run-flats.

Upvote 0
On the LX25 vs CC2 noise issue, one review said the CC2 isn’t appreciably louder on the noise meter, but has a distinct low-pitched growl that may annoy some drivers. I have poor high-freq hearing (too many years riding motorcycles and flying small planes) so I suspect I would be more bothered than someone with normal hearing, but I haven’t driven either tire personally.

- Mark
I suspect that this low pitched growl is due to the slightly more aggressive tread design of the CC2. That growl would annoy the heck out of me. I've come to appreciate quiet tires and don't want to compromise.

Upvote 0
Back