Mazda5 Replacement Axles?

:
2008 Mazda5 GT
~138 on OEM Axles -they are waaay overdue (lot of play and clicking on pass). Don't recall coming across many post on replacements.

OEM does not make financial sense. Top of the list is Cardone reman via RockAuto. Anyone use this or have feedback on Axles used on a Mazda5? What have you used and how well have they held up? Appreciate any feedback.

I used trackmotive from RockAuto last year. I've only put about 5k miles on them but I have not had any issues so far. I have a manual transmission, too.

Thanks pkthomas.

Was the overall length the same? did the boots and overall fit/finish look/feel good to you? Do the boots have the same count of bellows as OEM? Did it come with the balancer on the shaft, like OEM or were you able to reuse this?

The more I read/understand what remain (really hit or miss based on the person doing the remain work and the condition of the OEM unit that is remain) it's a gamble but I know the original Axle was quality...

How much longer do you plan on keeping the car? A remanned unit should last a couple of years at least...even one that the remanufacture was sloppy.

If you're planning on keeping the car until the wheels fall off, and do the work yourself, I always look at it like the savings in labor allows me to get the expensive OEM part and buy a new tool or two.

If this was my 2008 M3 or 2010 M5...I'd probably go with the remanned ones. I don't expect those cars to last much past the next 4 years. Just got to get my kids through college.

If it was an M3 or M5, regardless of year, I'd buy OEM! 😅

but that is a great question. we should have sold it already but considering it has little to no resale value, figure keep it running or backup car. Maybe not till wheels fall off but keep it for now while it works 🤷‍♂️. That said, there are a few other maintenance items that need replacing/wrenching soon... still on OE EGR, thermostat, water pump, coil packs, exhaust... not expensive or hard to do just ...ugg, old car...

thanks for feedback/thought.

While trying to find what sounded like wheel-bearing noise ("airplane noise") on our 2009 Mazda 5, I found that the driver's-side inner (tripod) joint boot had let go at the small end. I assumed that it was the tripod joint making the noise, and did a lot of research as to what was the best aftermarket drive axle to replace the entire unit with.

A very respected professional mechanic told me that most new or rebuilt units are junk, and that I'd be better off going with OEM or rebuilding mine. (One exception is Raxles, but they don't supply Mazda axles.) Surprisingly to me, he told me that the biggest problem is that the aftermarket axles have skinny shafts that vibrate badly.

I bought a new kit from FEBEST, which included the new tripod joint, boot, grease, and splined end which goes into the transmission, and rebuilt my original drive axle. The band clamps they supplied were very low-end though, and I bought upgraded ones instead. The rebuilt axle works very well so far. The old tripod joint was in very bad shape, and was pretty much falling apart. Glad I caught it and replaced it when I did.

Surprisingly to me, this didn't cure the airplane noise. That turned out to be the front passenger-side wheel bearing on the way out. Got that changed out too, and all's well now.

All this to say, there are alternatives to expensive OEM or cheap aftermarket drive axles - you can rebuild yours if necessary.

Any updates or thoughts on axles used? I have to replace the front right. Looking at the prices are all over the map - starting at $60 for cheap Chinese reman to $500 for OEM. Definitely confused.

Any updates or thoughts on axles used? I have to replace the front right. Looking at the prices are all over the map - starting at $60 for cheap Chinese reman to $500 for OEM. Definitely confused.
I can only suggest you to shop around and always cross-check the source. Also, make sure you understand the difference between a manufacture vs a retailer (rebrand), snoop around for product number and you'll find the link. 3rd party resellers may have axle part number listed incorrectly, mostly due to fitment for manual vs auto. Make sure to check manufacturer to confirm.

I am personally leaning towards Trakmotive B/C it seems a lot of rebrands are using them. I'm also less concerned about made in China IF they are more recently made; avoid old stock. It seems the quality of products have increased the last few years. If wasn't too long ago that Made in Korea was junk and not long before that Made in Japan was trash.

1) Duralast Gold (@autozone) are rebrand Trakmotive (MZ-XXXX)
13WzZaG.jpg

2) Napa premiums are also rebrand Trakmotive.
Manufacturer Part NumberMZ-8151

3) FVP also sells rebrand Trakmotive
(on Rockauto)

Go back to Trakmotive to confirm fitment and part number. You'll find that even within Trakmotive, they have TWO quality tiers!!

EDIT:
Add to this thread for others future reference.

In case you are wondering why aftermarket does not have dynamic dampers (on the solid shaft) as OEM. I'm not sure if the OE damper is two piece or single piece but you can buy SS cable ties (need tool to pull tight).

Axle Nut torque = 202 ft/lb

Axle seal OEM: F00327238B

Axle seal: SKF 14006 (thermoplastic! not neoprene or nitrile) <-Not recommended, it will work but inferior to OEM design (metal reinforcement in gasket vs solid/hard (some type of) plastic).
Transaxle-Automatic
Output Shaft
2015-2006 Mazda5:
Seal ...[2] 14006
(pg 190/262)

Last edited:
Was about to post my own thread when I saw this.

Any comments on the Trakmotive axles for longevity and NVH? I really, really don't want to have to repeat this job, and I feel like the car's noisy enough as it is, so I like the one-and-done-ness (and vibration dampers) of OE axles. But man, the price... woof!

Thoughts? Any other options I should consider?

I replaced the driver side with a Trackmotive (do not come with dampers). Fine so far but not long enough to make a statement on durability. I get the sense you like to keep your car in tip top shape, go OEM. They pop up on eBay for fair price.

For anyone considering DIY, do yourself a favor and beg/borrow/steal a high impact torque wrench.

I replaced the driver side with a Trackmotive (do not come with dampers). Fine so far but not long enough to make a statement on durability. I get the sense you like to keep your car in tip top shape, go OEM. They pop up on eBay for fair price.
Thanks for weighing in.

Did you notice any additional NVH without the dampers?

Couldn't see any new or rebuilt OE driveshafts on eBay but will keep looking.

One big thing I would say, when you're changing your axles, go ahead and do new axle seals to head off any possible leaks, and also do your joint shaft bearing and seals. You're already in there, so there's no reason not to.

One big thing I would say, when you're changing your axles, go ahead and do new axle seals to head off any possible leaks, and also do your joint shaft bearing and seals. You're already in there, so there's no reason not to.
I want to do this, but I can't for the life of me find the parts for the 6MT – even from Mazda! All the OE parts websites list one for the AT but not the MT....

Last edited:
Hmm. SKF seems to think the 14006 is for both the auto and the manual. Corresponds to Mazda PN F003-27-238C.

They also say "Quantity: 1". 🤔

Same seal on both sides?

Isn't there a seal on the trans where the intermediate shaft goes in?
Yes there is. Both the joint shaft and the left axle have transmission seals. Like a dumbass I didn't replace mine when I had it apart. And lo and behold, yup, wound up with a very slow drip. Hence why I give the advice to change it while you're in there.
What that part number is, I'm not too sure of. Should be pretty easy to find though.

Yes there is. Both the joint shaft and the left axle have transmission seals. Like a dumbass I didn't replace mine when I had it apart. And lo and behold, yup, wound up with a very slow drip. Hence why I give the advice to change it while you're in there.
What that part number is, I'm not too sure of. Should be pretty easy to find though.
You'd think, but I'm coming up empty.

Considering asking a Mazda dealership parts dept., but my experience with them hasn't been 100% for obscure parts...

Back