Easier Mazda5 cabin filter changes, also applies to Mazda3

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
To make the cabin air filter change from horrible to a simple this sucks task, use an electric ratchet with a philips screwdriver bit. If you don't have a philips bit, use electrical tape to fasten a philips screwdriver bit to a 1/4" socket. The light on the end of the ratchet helps a lot, too.

Makes it SO much easier to remove the screws. I just changed my filters in 5 minutes flat.

This trick also applies to Mazda3s.
IMG_20210323_172259291_HDR.jpg

The screws aren't my problem. It's getting the filters back in and orientated properly. That's where I get pissed.

But I like the looks of that tool. I need to obtain it.

That's a pain, too. Make sure that when you remove the old filters you keep them in the orientation they came out. This helps A LOT.

That's a pain, too. Make sure that when you remove the old filters you keep them in the orientation they came out. This helps A LOT.
That helps but my luck usually forces me to have to try it for 15min+ to get it right because when I think it is in, the upper piece would fall and I have to take both pieces out and try again when my back muscle is screaming at me.

I am just happy I don't have to do this yearly.

Last edited:
At least Mazda smartened up and the newer cars aren't like this anymore. And not sure if you knew, but in the 3, you have to remove the entire PJB! That's the main internal fuse box! Insanity!

Back