Disappointment and Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2021 Turbo cx5 we purchased a month ago has been a huge disappointment. The Bad:
-The driving dynamics. The lack of body control at slower speeds means the body lean is bad enough that the seats are incapable of holding you in position to drive. You must brace yourself. Fix the body control or provide Recaro's with big bolsters. Medium to higher speed handling is better as long as the road surface is very smooth. Any imperfection in the road surface will upset the spring/shock/tire tuning and require constant correction to hold a line. Even a straight line. The G vectoring will fight the necessary corrections through corners. FYI, G vectoring is nothing more than an attempt to automate Trail Braking. You can do it better if you could disable G vector but you can't. Basically the handling is a mess. Comes close to mediocre on interstates in good repair and with moderate corners. Forget off/on ramp fun. It got none.
- Ergonomics
Drivers seat bottom is too short from the hip to knee. That and lack of an independent tilt adjustment of the seat bottom results in leg discomfort in an hour or so. Bring a pillow.
- Controls.
The infotainment system is also a bleeding mess. Confusing to access selections without going through multiple screens and menus. There is NO touchscreen function. Apps like Goggle maps and Waze are designed to use Touchscreen inputs. So, hard to navigate those with Command knob. Android Auto connection is hit or miss as is Bluetooth connection. Mostly miss.
Using the Command control knob is less safe than using a touchscreen, IMO.
The climate control interface is located low as to require your eyes to be off the road for too long as its display is not easily interpreted.
Cup holders are in a hard to reach location due to placement of the damned Command knob. Loose the knob and provide a touchscreen please.
Safety nannies, Too many to count. Find the ones you like and disable the rest. But, except for lane keeping, you can't. Should have an option to disable/enable all driver aids to suit your driving style.
The Good:
Turbo Engine and Transmission. More hp would be nice, as always, but this is a very nicely engineered power train. The 6 speed auto is one of the best I have driven. Smooth and quick shifts when asked for. Ratios are perfectly matched to the engines torque output. A 7 speed to help the highway mpg would have been nice but ... bean counters.
Interior design.
Simple and reserved with good quality materials.
Exterior design.
Coherent, in the Soul Red color. Though for the extra cost you would hope there would be less orange peel in it.

Regardless of what Mazda marketing wishes you to beleive there is no Zoom Zoom present. Forget Horse and Rider as well. The suspension tuning, oem tire selection and sway bar, springs, shock choices all conspire to ruin the dynamic handling. Used to be Mazda's strength. Feels like something designed by committee with an accountant in charge. Shame.
Sorry to run on but a lot to get off my chest. Really wanted to like the CX5. Why did I buy it? Was not completly my call but I agreed. If had a do over I would advise not to base decision after just a 30 minute test drive. Ask to take it home for the weekend to fully evaluate the whole car in a low pressure environment like your garage.

I have no interest in any vehicle manufacturer. The opinions expressed are mine based on my personal experience.

I agree with you on some things, think you're flat-out wrong about others, but I guess that's why we have choices. I don't think that Mazda oversold the CX-5 - there are a lot of car-driving professionals that agree with them - but then, I never expected it to replace my Miata's Zoom-Zoom factor. I'm pleased with the handling, though it does seem a bit skittish on bumpy roads, but that can be kind of fun if you're under 7/10ths.

I don't have the turbo, and I wish it had more power, but my bigger complaint is how the transmission works with the engine I have. It's never in the right gear for acceleration after slowing down - I always have wait for the downshift. Irritated me so much I went and got the paddle shifters and installed them, and I'm happier now, as long as I remember to anticipate the downshift. The 8-speed in our BMW is light years ahead of Mazda, here.

Personally, I love the command knob and believe that touch screens in cars are the devil's work. The knob is very similar to BMW's iDrive system, and I find it works well with Android Auto and Google Maps. The limitations with Mazda and AA are not with the interface, IMO.

Agree on the nannies.

Turbo and 6 SPDR auto are best I've driven and I think well matched to this truck. I have experience with DSG and PDK and in full auto mode I think Mazda's is better. When matched with the Turbo engine.

Every review that talks about the handling of a CX-5 or CX-9 needs to be taken in context. Compared to other crossovers and truck wannabes, they handle great. A Miata, they are not and will never be.

Every review that talks about the handling of a CX-5 or CX-9 needs to be taken in context. Compared to other crossovers and truck wannabes, they handle great. A Miata, they are not and will never be.
No arguement about not a Miata. But not a GMC Canyon either.

Critic, I'm curious what vehicle in the class performs better? I handles like crap compared to my V6 coupe, but I test drove most of the competitors in the CUV arena and it was hands down the best performer for the price.

One man's meat is another's poison. My opinion is the exact opposite of yours but I'm not a professional race driver. You voice what seems like your opinion like everyone else ought to feel the same way instead of couching it in terms making it evident that it is your opinion. You don't like it get rid of it but don't make it seem that everyone else should agree with you.

Just a heads up, if this thread doesn't stay civil, it will be closed. Also, joining this Community simply to post negatively about Mazda, especially in an unconstructive way is considered trolling and will result in your account being permanently banned.

Drove no competitors. Will not own a CVT vehicle and wanted Turbo. So ...... Mazda.

FYI, the oem tires are Toyo A36's. Bottom feeders for sure. Going to experiment with pressures tomorrow. Tried higher psi today with no improvement. Going low tomorrow. If this problem is because Mazda cheaped out on tires that tells me all I need to know.

The 2021 Turbo cx5 we purchased a month ago has been a huge disappointment. The Bad:
-The driving dynamics. The lack of body control at slower speeds means the body lean is bad enough that the seats are incapable of holding you in position to drive.
The suspension tuning, oem tire selection and sway bar, springs, shock choices all conspire to ruin the dynamic handling.

Your assessment of driving dynamics seems to be the opposite of professional car reviewers who test all of the competition in the segment.
Test of Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, and VW Tiguan:
I'm not sure what vehicle in the segment would meet your expectations.
I have to disagree that you were "misled". What was "misleading"? I test drove a CX-5 on 3 occasions because I wanted to make sure I made the right purchase decision. Handling, ride, low levels of noise, interior/exterior design, reliability ranking, and seat comfort were my criteria.

Hey shooter357

I specifically stated at the end of my post that these were opinions based on my experience.
I wanted some useful feedback, which I got.
But it seems there are some fanboys that do not want to hear any criticism of Mazda. Look, I have had Miata's in the past. Great cars, first and second generation, nothing bad to say. But seems like Mazda then vs. now is not all good.

Really, you think that guys that get paid to review cars be they "professionals" from magazines, you tubers, bloggers don't have something to gain or lose from the way they review a certain vehicle. I respect that you took the time to research and drive and are happy with the vehicle. But my experience has been different. And, I stand by everything I said.

I guess we didn't go for a test drive before we bought. Can't blame a vehicle for that. I fell my 2021 GTR is outstandiing. Ed

I guess we didn't go for a test drive before we bought. Can't blame a vehicle for that. I fell my 2021 GTR is outstandiing. Ed
Yep, did. From dealer inventory but not with all options we wanted. Final vehicle came in from other dealer 2 days later during blizzard and -20 F temps. Limited test drive that evening. Called dealer next day advising of handling issues. Sure we know how that goes?

I am curious why you did not drive any competitors. Sitting in a few competitors really makes the interior design of the Mazda stand out. Many competitors have cheap plastic steering wheels and other cheap feeling materials. I hope your experience with the vehicle improves. It is common for the tires to be overinflated when they are sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back