Any issues with the CX-30?

speed3chris1

2021 Signature CX-9
I have a 2016 CX-9 Sig and love it. Has anyone experienced any issues with their CX-30? I am looking at picking up either the 2021 premium or the new turbo when it comes out.

Good question...You might want to check the other threads in our CX-30 Forum. I believe the CX-30 has been in production since 2019 giving Mazda a few years to iron out initial issues. That said, more searching has surfaced a couple recalls involving brakes for the 2020 CX-30 and a potential fuel leak for the all-wheel drive 2020 CX-30.

For any 2020 CX-30 Owners reading this, you might want to check out Mazda's recall site for more info...

You're looking at a 2021 so these recalls should no longer be an issue.

The major non-obvious issues that people have sometimes complained about are:

• The transmission is a bit jumpy at low speeds
  • The air conditioner doesn't get super-cold
  • Some people find the seats hard
  • The factory tires are so-so

I bought a Mazda Cx-30 2020 at the end of June 2020, after I sold my 2011 Mazda 3.

So what can I say:

Pros of the car:

Bright, expressive exterior and interior design. Excellent handling. Good soundproofing of the cabin.

Cons of the car:

Problems with the build quality of the cabin The cabin is cramped inside, in comparison with competitors. Fuel consumption in the city is relatively high for a so-called hybrid engine. "Jerking" of the gearbox when the 1st and 2nd gears are turned on.

My little experience of owning the CX-30 suggests that the price for it is clearly overpriced; if I were an importer, I would think about the pricing policy. For the same money, you can buy a CX-5 in a simpler configuration.

I bought a Mazda Cx-30 2020 at the end of June 2020, after I sold my 2011 Mazda 3.

So what can I say:

Pros of the car:

Bright, expressive exterior and interior design. Excellent handling. Good soundproofing of the cabin.

Cons of the car:

Problems with the build quality of the cabin The cabin is cramped inside, in comparison with competitors. Fuel consumption in the city is relatively high for a so-called hybrid engine. "Jerking" of the gearbox when the 1st and 2nd gears are turned on.

My little experience of owning the CX-30 suggests that the price for it is clearly overpriced; if I were an importer, I would think about the pricing policy. For the same money, you can buy a CX-5 in a simpler configuration.
Thanks for the input and welcome, @thunder01

Perhaps some of those issues are early model/run related, although you would hope that they sort out as much as possible before going into full production. That said, it seems not an uncommon issue with a lot of manufactured products.

My CX-30 has vibrations when cylinder deactivation kicks in, same as on the 3, annoying, they tried to fix it, but it made it worse, can't even trade it in for another car, and Mazda says it is ok, the vibrations and rattling sideways are within limits.

My CX-30 has vibrations when cylinder deactivation kicks in, same as on the 3, annoying, they tried to fix it, but it made it worse, can't even trade it in for another car, and Mazda says it is ok, the vibrations and rattling sideways are within limits.
Have you test driven other CX-30s to compare? When did you feel this, from the day one or later?

Thanks for posting about this, I don't recall seeing much mentioned about this...Perhaps a new or rare issue?

Any other CX-30 Owners have / notice the same issue?

It started when I put un the 16” winter wheels in October, before that the car was smooth as silk, Mazda knows the problem, same engine as in the 3.

They have a fix for the problem but it only does the trick in 50% of the cars that get the fix, or it can get worse like with my car. My problem is that Mazda says this is ok, after the dealer took it in for test drives, they said I have to live with it, I don't find that acceptable so I'm taking this matter towards Mazda with a consumer right group that deals with issues like this where I live. I'm not happy the way Mazda and the dealer treated me on this matter, this is for sure my last Mazda.

Just an update. I traded my 2016 CX-9 sig for a 2021 CX-9 sig Soul Red Crystal Metallic. I had 3 cars and was going to trade my wife's car in for a CX-30 but then decided to go back to 2 cars. We love the new CX-9.

It started when I put un the 16” winter wheels in October, before that the car was smooth as silk, Mazda knows the problem, same engine as in the 3.

They have a fix for the problem but it only does the trick in 50% of the cars that get the fix, or it can get worse like with my car. My problem is that Mazda says this is ok, after the dealer took it in for test drives, they said I have to live with it, I don't find that acceptable so I'm taking this matter towards Mazda with a consumer right group that deals with issues like this where I live. I'm not happy the way Mazda and the dealer treated me on this matter, this is for sure my last Mazda.
Sorry to hear that, did you bring this matter up with Mazda Corporate? Could you try another Dealer (sometimes it seems they can vary wildly regarding customer service)? In any case, hope everything works out for you.

91B8B323-C5CA-4A13-A440-1D8F55A1E30B.jpeg

If it was only as stated I would keep the car but its way worse, and Mazda says it is within limits, so I sold the car, lost 5000usd, a 5 month old car, premium package. Mazda never again🤮

It had nothing to do with the 16” winter wheels?

I also would be looking at the wheels as a possible source of the problem. @JojoMuayThai, did you ever put the original wheels back on to see if the problem went away? That would have been the first thing I tried.

Also, the photo that you posted of the paper didn't look like an official TSB, so I tried looking for one and came across this one:

Strange that new wheels would cause this issue to manifest, though it could have just been coincidence. This TSB appears to be applicable to all 2020 CX-30 models.

We tried with the original tyres, and the vibrations did not go away.

They did that fix with new brackets and pcm update before trying the original tyres.

The ”fix” made the car worse when on the 16” wheels, and as last resort they put on 18” winter wheels, wich made it a little bit better but still not acceptable.
The car was more shaking than vibrating.

I would avoid CD if I have a choice. Might need to go for Turbo version, which does not have CD (cylinder deactivation). It is just me.

CD was dropped for all 2021 CX-30s.
Maybe a better decision for Mazda to avoid future warranty issues but the vibration issues I think are isolated and not as significant in numbers especially after their recall update done back in 2019. I’ve had no vibration issues in the previous and current CDA engines that I have (knock on wood)!

Back