After 15 months of ownership, my only complaint

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Is this why they didn't light up the Homelink buttons? At least light the ones that are active. Instead they put a dummy light in the middle of the mirror. Pulling into the driveway at night and trying to find the right button without pressing the other garage door button is a pain.

Sometimes you got to wonder.

I guess the Sig mirror is different? I can use it without looking, unlike my Lexus, which has the button facing me and not underneath.

Agree with OP. Cost cutting, I imagine.

I just hit the button(s) in relative position to the green LED...
Never miss it yet.

Agree with OP. Cost cutting, I imagine.

I just hit the button(s) in relative position to the green LED...
Never miss it yet.
Hear you - I have about an 85% hit ratio. What I might do is delete the other door and program all the buttons to the same door.

Hear you - I have about an 85% hit ratio. What I might do is delete the other door and program all the buttons to the same door.

I feel you! I mean I press the wrong button causing 2 second delay in opening my garage within my gated community in the suburbs. Damn you Mazda!!!

#1stworldProblems

My garage door is programmed into the far left button. I don't even look. I reach up to the botom frame of the mirror and run my finger left to right along the smooth frame until I feel a button. I get it 100% of the time. If I had a second door programmed, I'm sure I could feel where the second button is. I don't want more lights in the cabin.

My biggest complaint is the blindspot from the A pillar, followed by no pause/play button on steering wheel or near commander knob.

My biggest complaint is the blindspot from the A pillar, followed by no pause/play button on steering wheel or near commander knob.
Just figured out yesterday picking up junk in a drive thru that when I hit the “mute” button listening to Satellite radio, it actually pauses.

Just figured out yesterday picking up junk in a drive thru that when I hit the “mute” button listening to Satellite radio, it actually pauses.
Unless its a recent update, it doesn't do that for the Audible app on Android Auto. That would be nice though.

I don't need to look for the Homelink button, I just reach up to the spot and hit the button from muscle memory. When backing out of my garage, I reach up and press the button while simultaneously scanning both outside mirrors, the rearview mirror and camera display, It's just a matter of habit, I don't even think about it other than to glance back at the house to make sure the garage door is down before driving away.

I do not have trouble seeing around the A-pillar. Mazda claims that without changing your driving position, you can see at least part of a 5 year old child from looking around the A-pillar, or over and under the mirrors. I have attached two links that explain this.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/zero_safety/visibility/

MAZDA:Mazda’s Unique Performance Visibility Vol.1 | HUMAN-CENTRIC DESIGN PHILOSOPHY

Last edited:
I do have trouble seeing around the A-pillar. Mazda claims that without changing your driving position, you can see at least part of a 5 year old child from looking around the A-pillar, or over and under the mirrors. I have attached two links that explain this.

https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/zero_safety/visibility/

MAZDA:Mazda’s Unique Performance Visibility Vol.1 | HUMAN-CENTRIC DESIGN PHILOSOPHY
we need this: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/H7deOaxFjQLz6AVPSEncNCkBeF8=/1200x675/2018/10/25/86992aa8-8743-44a5-9f91-5d605065d0ea/continental-see-through-a-pillar-ogi.jpg&imgrefurl=https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/continental-see-through-a-pillars-cameras-oled/&tbnid=TKlMb736RuP63M&vet=12ahUKEwi-9fHt5qbtAhVNgZ4KHQGXA1EQMygHegUIARC1AQ..i&docid=vFxCMSF1R4CZmM&w=1200&h=675&q=a pillar visibility&safe=active&ved=2ahUKEwi-9fHt5qbtAhVNgZ4KHQGXA1EQMygHegUIARC1AQ
1606620747145.png

Last edited:
I only have a very small # of complaints after a year and a half with mine.

1) I don't like the keyless entry solution they have with respects to the doors. I don't want to push the button to unlock the doors (on the door) if I don't want to use the key.

My 2009 Mazda 6 all you had to do was slide ur hand behind the handle and it unlocked. No button pushing at all. truly keyless entry.

2) Why on earth for a 45,000$ vehicle do we not have a LOCK on the glove box? My first car (20,000$ Chevy Cavalier) had a lock on the glove box.

That's it. No other complaints yet.

I've done a ton of research before deciding on a CX-5 GS (similar to Touring in the U.S.) so I'll try not to repeat what has been said before . After a week of ownership I'm getting used to a smaller vehicle (I had a 2017 Nissan Murano before). The Murano didn't have windshield wiper deicers contrary to other vehicles I've had while my CX-5 has them plus another deicer on the left side of the windshield where the snow and ice usually accumulate, a great idea! When the hatch is open, the taillight assembly has no visible screws, a nice touch. Like the Murano, I find the carpeting too short in the front up the firewall, but that's nit picking also the hood could open a little higher. I like the fact that there is no deflector under the front bumper that can get damaged (I removed the one I had on the Murano). Better visibility than the Murano who was "worst in class".

I also like the large rear wiper (14"), the carpeted side cargo panels and height adjustable passenger seat (my wife doesn't care...)!

Last edited:
1) I don't like the keyless entry solution they have with respects to the doors. I don't want to push the button to unlock the doors (on the door) if I don't want to use the key.

My 2009 Mazda 6 all you had to do was slide ur hand behind the handle and it unlocked.

I've sort of become used to the button on the CX9, sort of a one motion movement but it does take that extra little pause. For me the pause is the issue.

My 17 CRV is just the touch the back of handle, no button...but often I pull the handle before it's unlocked. So, despite no button, still need to pause.

And it's not like I'm super jumpy on the entry. Had a 14 Camry, touch the back of handle to open, and I never was too quick. Maybe handful of times in the 5 yrs I had the car. CRV,I pull it too fast couple times a week I bet.

If I'm ever running from an axe murderer, I'll be cursing that pause.

Back