Is there a performance air filter for stock airbox 2.5 turbo? Not cai

:
2019 Mazda CX 5 GT Turbo
Anyone know if there is a performance air filter like AEM or K&N drop in for the stock airbox?

Anyone know if there is a performance air filter like afe or k&n drop in for the stock airbox?
I don’t think this type of “performance air filter” would do too much on power, if any. It’s the catch-22 situation, you want better air flow, you loose better filtering capability. Of course YMMV. ;)

BTW, Unobtanium has a 2.5T.

I have a near new and flawless corksport intake/maf housing, filter, and the filter sock I'd be willing to part with, along with mounting hardware.

Yes, there is a K&N drop in filter for the OEM intake. You can find it here, P/N 33-3024. It is priced at $55 USD. AEM, K&N and CorkSport also make an aftermarket intake using their own intake tubing and the cone-style filters. If Uno hasn't sold his CorkSport intake yet, I would suggest that you buy his. CorkSport's intake appears to be the only one on the market that has been dyno-tested so far.

I don’t think this type of “performance air filter” would do too much on power, if any. It’s the catch-22 situation, you want better air flow, you loose better filtering capability. Of course YMMV. ;)

BTW, Unobtanium has a 2.5T.
Yes I read his posts about the cai, I like the idea of getting some blow off value sound but not sure about sucking in warm/hot air under the hood... could be I am looking for something that isn't possible too. I know he was selling his cork sport because he didn't want to take the chance on warranty.

None of the intakes available are "cold air intakes". Some of them offer "boxes" that shield a bit of heat from the engine bay (you can read about CorkSport's intake shield here), but the only "cold air intake" is actually the OEM one as it uses the "snorkel" to pull air in from in front of the radiator, through the hood latch area. However, the OEM filter and tubing is more restrictive, partially for sound attenuation. That's why the aftermarket intakes provide a slight bump in performance - the increased air flow leads to an increase in power, even if the air being pulled in happens to be slightly warmer.

None of the intakes available are "cold air intakes". Some of them offer "boxes" that shield a bit of heat from the engine bay (you can read about CorkSport's intake shield here), but the only "cold air intake" is actually the OEM one as it uses the "snorkel" to pull air in from in front of the radiator, through the hood latch area. However, the OEM filter and tubing is more restrictive, partially for sound attenuation. That's why the aftermarket intakes provide a slight bump in performance - the increased air flow leads to an increase in power, even if the air being pulled in happens to be slightly warmer.
Do you run the corksport on your CX9? With the heat shield? Thanks for pointing that out btw.

Do you run the corksport on your CX9? With the heat shield? Thanks for pointing that out btw.

Yes, I've got the CorkSport intake on my CX-9. Bought it before they released the heat shield. With the kind of driving I do, I don't think a heat shield would be necessary. Also, just to add - the CorkSport intake uses an AEM DryFlow washable filter (y)

I use K&N (drop-in) on all my Mazdas.

If someone wants proof, this guy did it for you.

It increases horsepower/torque marginally (3-5hp) at risk of more particles thru the filters. If you drive on dusty roads often, I would avoid it. I don't. Has worked fine for me for many years. Take care in re-oiling. Don't over do it.

Not only for the small increase in horsepower, but, for me, the RPM revs up faster (more responsive) when you hit the gas pedal...No scientific proof on that. Just my subjective feel.

Yes I read his posts about the cai, I like the idea of getting some blow off value sound but not sure about sucking in warm/hot air under the hood... could be I am looking for something that isn't possible too. I know he was selling his cork sport because he didn't want to take the chance on warranty.
It doesn't matter re: hot air. The air will go through the FMIC, and no power gains/losses will be realized vs. a CAI type setup. CS dynoed the setup I am selling at 10whp gain, roughly, and that's about what my stopwatch got it at, as well.

A filter alone should be worth 2-5whp, based on my experience with my 370Z and Cosworth filters/smooth bellows and taking into account the CX5 in this case also is pushing 17psi-ish.

Mine is still for sale. Also, here is test/validation from CS regarding what I've told you above. Once the vehicle begins moving, it doesn't even matter, even after heat-soaking. However, if you WANT to block off the hot engine air, you absolutely can, and the CAI is still needed anyways.

I've decided for sure I won't be using it, so if you want it, I'll sell it for $175 shipped. That includes the $20-ish AEM Dry Filter sock that you won't get from CorkSport in their $189+S&H handling. The whole setup looks brand new/I only used it a few thousand miles. Yes, it will make it much more audible.

Back