Battery went completely Dead. Jump-started, now engine is shaky and weak?

@AVC I put it exactly as the one was in before that.

This is what i put in: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

At autozone the measured the battery when the car was turned off. It measured at 12v.I Unfortunately i don't have anything to measure myself.

I purchased a 2A charger that is arriving today. Hopefully it will be enough if I leave it on for several hours.

Does anyone have a tutorial they can share how to remove one of the battery terminals before charging?

I have never done this before and want to make sure I do it correctly.

And I know I have no experience with this, but the issue has to have stemmed from the jump. It worked perfectly fine beforehand.
You need a cheap multi-meter from Harbor Freight Tools more than a battery charger. I’m with tibimakai and AVC that the battery itself shouldn’t be the problem if the AutoZone had tested and gave it a OK. Very likely you didn’t put back the air filter cover correctly, or you somehow disconnected something when you’re changing the air filter.

This is exactly what I did:

I was very careful not to touch anything else.

Ok - so what would a MM do if I already know the voltage? Also - from what others have said - it seemed there is no downside to try charging the battery.

JFYI - I drove my car again. Basically the engine sounds like it's working extra hard. It sounds like it's constantly driving uphill.

The sound my engine makes when accelerating on flat road (now) sounds like it did when I was driving up a steep hill before the jump start.

Alas, none of these anecdotal descriptions are helpful (at least to me), as we can't see or hear or feel what you are experiencing. And what little technical information you've provided isn't narrowing the possibilities. Short of some basic scan tool data, or a video, I've got nothing else to suggest.

I am with @AVC .. at this point diagnosing via web forum is going to be difficult. It is not an obvious problem with an obvious answer.

OP is going to need some basic tools and knowledge if not willing to take it someplace for diagnostics.

simple multi-meter (get voltage of battery when the car is not on and then running at idle).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

how to use:

simple ODB2 reader (scan for codes; look for oddities)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

plus an app:
Android
or
Apple

OP should also take video of the behavior in the car and outside (with hood up) so others trying to help can hear / see the behavior for themselves.

also a read through:

Here are some videos guys. Sorry, it's hard to pick up the noise. Not sure if these are of any benefit. In the second video, you can here the engine is quite loud

Take the air filter out, put the housing back together and clip it shut, take it for a short drive and report back.

Here are some videos guys. Sorry, it's hard to pick up the noise. Not sure if these are of any benefit. In the second video, you can here the engine is quite loud
Somehow I have the same feeling like AVC suspected that the air filter box cover doesn’t looks even on yours. Redo the air filter installation again and see. Make sure you didn’t put new air filter element upside down, and make sure you have 2 rear plastic clips on cover inserted properly into the air filter box housing first then put front 3 metal clips back. Try to lift up the back side of cover and it shouldn’t move.

Last edited:
It's the hollow somewhat boomy sound that makes me think either the filter media is defective, or doesn't allow the filter cover to go back on correctly. That whole chamber is a tuned acoustic system that'll cause drivability issues if not just so. Also air leaking around the filter seal due the cover not fitting, can cause turbulence, which makes the MAF erratic at certain rpm, throttle positions and loads.

yep, for a 10 min drive. The carbon filter in the air cleaner cover will remove any big chunks while you do the test drive. :) Seriosuly though, unless you take it out on a dirt road, it wont hurt a thing, but it will be helpful in diagnosis, here.

Guys , I feel like an idiot here...but it seems the problem was that the engine air filter cover/housing wasn't clamped down all the way.

I'm not really sure how it affects the acceleration and engine noise just because of this? Can someone explain why, considering the filter was fitted in correctly?

Thank you for the help diagnosing!

(On a side note - the car does seem a tad bit off still but I think it's because of the computer system relearning still).

Congrats on fixing the problem! :)

Since your ECU parameters may have been messed up due to the air filter housing leaking air earlier, what you can do is to try to let the engine idle for 15 mins for the computer to relearn the air fuel mapping. Then take it for a drive. If that still didn't help, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and repeat the 15 minutes idling sequence.

Congrats on fixing the problem! :)

Since your ECU parameters may have been messed up due to the air filter housing leaking air earlier, what you can do is to try to let the engine idle for 15 mins for the computer to relearn the air fuel mapping. Then take it for a drive. If that still didn't help, reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes and repeat the 15 minutes idling sequence.
tibimakai suspected the problem correctly at first, and AVC explained the ill-effect of not having the air filter cover installed correctly.

Just to show you those YouTube video helps, but mistakes still are going to happen unless you have actual hand-on experience.

Glad your problem has been solved!

Wow! Your engine bay is FILTHY!!!

I have the same year CX as yours. I'd show you a pic of mine but you'd be embarrassed.

Time for some spring cleaning man! ;)

Wow! Your engine bay is FILTHY!!!

I have the same year CX as yours. I'd show you a pic of mine but you'd be embarrassed.

Time for some spring cleaning man! ;)

What IS the best way to clean your engine bay? I've heard various people over the years say to use a spray hose on it, i've heard others say DOOONNNTTT lol.

Whats your secret Conrad?

Back