Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

No chemicals, I usually only dust the screen and/ wipe with a damp cloth.

It's a known issue, lots of cases on CX-5s and 3s. Screen seems to be delaminating from the inside and externally it's smooth ie. no damage to the surface. In my case, it happened after temperatures fluctuated from warm to cold to warm. I suspect we don't see a lot of CX-9s yet because of their lower volumes or mileage than the smaller models. The TSB I uploaded was updated in 2018, so I my hunch / hope is they issued a PCA by then. Dealer also confirmed that p/n was different
Great info.
Thank you.

Bumping this thread as looks like Mazda is issuing a "Special Service Program" on some MY16 and 17 vehicles, that acknowledges this issue and will also extend the warranty for the fixes to 7 yrs

Bumping this thread as looks like Mazda is issuing a "Special Service Program" on some MY16 and 17 vehicles, that acknowledges this issue and will also extend the warranty for the fixes to 7 yrs

Hi aleki2424, thanks for that info. Do you have a source?

Attachments

• 20200616_103945.jpg
    20200616_103945.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 1,475
I got mine in the mail yesterday. It is a 7 year (from original date of service) extension to the warranty on the screen. (I guess that makes it a 4 year extension without a mileage limit.)

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
Hi, I have run into the same problem and I just received a notice for extended warranty for Internal Cracks on the connect center display. So it will be fixed at no cost and anyone who has paid to fix it can get reimbursed. Please see attached photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 745
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 768
I got mine in the mail yesterday. It is a 7 year (from original date of service) extension to the warranty on the screen. (I guess that makes it a 4 year extension without a mileage limit.)
I just got mine yesterday and I’m going to schedule to fix it. It’s really bothering me.

Yes, I had my screen replaced for this very issue last year under the original warranty. My dealer replaced just the screen - literally took about 10 minutes with the car in the service entrance bay (never even brought it around back). IIRC, estimated cost for the part/screen was $1,700? If I find the paperwork, I'll confirm.

I parked next to an older CX-9 yesterday (not sure what year, 2016 or older) and glanced in the window and saw the infotainment screen. I was surprised to see pretty extreme cracking in bottom right and left corners of the screen; now I know what you all are talking about. Really unacceptable; thanks for everyone's posts and I'll be on the lookout for this on my 2019 GT.

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
Mine just did this literally looks like the exact same picture.. mine is out of warranty.. I bought mine used but it’s still under 36k miles but over 3 years old so I’m screwed. I have been a loyal Mazda driver too... I had the 2011 cx-9 now I have the 2016 cx-9 grand touring.. so disappointed

Attachments

• 8EA0C8C0-2F64-45AE-892E-84B714D395B9.jpeg
    8EA0C8C0-2F64-45AE-892E-84B714D395B9.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 349
Mine just did this literally looks like the exact same picture.. mine is out of warranty.. I bought mine used but it’s still under 36k miles but over 3 years old so I’m screwed. I have been a loyal Mazda driver too... I had the 2011 cx-9 now I have the 2016 cx-9 grand touring.. so disappointed
It’s covered by Mazda based on your VIN number. My warranty expired too but I got a recall card in the mail and they fixed it for free.

Funny...or not...I have a 2016 cx9 and noticed this on mine just yesterday . mine looks exactly like your posted my picture. Needless to say I'm not happy this can even happen...mine won't be covered.

Just had the same problem with three of the corners had spider cracks. Dealer replaced it no charge under warranty with 5 days left on bumper to bumper warranty. Invoice did not show cost. However, new unit screen is different, with vertical black bars about half inch on both edges. Effectively making the screen size smaller?

Back