Brake pads $900?

2015 CX5 with 104,000 miles (130 mile commute 5 days a week) mostly highway. Dealer wants to charge $900 for brake pads, machine (not new) rotors, brake flush, and pads. Is that right? Quick Google search said $340. Figured I'd ask on this forum. Dealer also suggested wheel alignment every 15 months regardless of mileage. Seems Shakey. Don't mind paying if reasonable.

what the... no way. literally oem style rotors AND pads can be had for about $100 a set, and that's consumer pricing. Machining = extra labor time ($$$) and not even worth it unless you have some high dollar rotors. The brake flush is probably a good idea, but $900 no. Even at a place like brake check (USA) everything you said is about a $400-500 job. I would check another dealer or a garage chain

what the... no way. literally oem style rotors AND pads can be had for about $100 a set, and that's consumer pricing. Machining = extra labor time ($$$) and not even worth it unless you have some high dollar rotors. The brake flush is probably a good idea, but $900 no. Even at a place like brake check (USA) everything you said is about a $400-500 job. I would check another dealer or a garage chain
These are the original rotors. I'm assuming they need to be replaced but they are milking me for extra labor. Wife and I thought about upgrading to the CX9 but with the only local Mazda dealer ripping us off will likely go with Ford Explorer. It's a shame they will lose a potential lifetime customer trying to milk one service job. I also thought $185 for the engine flush was high.

Engine flush?
Why are they even "recommending" that, other than for another obvious cash grab?

I also agree with Chris re: rotors. Replace them. Don't waste money having them turned.
Most modern OEM rotors are thin enough as it is (read: cheap). Turning them will only make them too thin and prone to early failure.
Back when disc brakes were new in the industry (60's and 70's) rotors were more robust and thicker, and had lots of material that allowed for turning. Not anymore.

These are the original rotors. I'm assuming they need to be replaced but they are milking me for extra labor. Wife and I thought about upgrading to the CX9 but with the only local Mazda dealer ripping us off will likely go with Ford Explorer. It's a shame they will lose a potential lifetime customer trying to milk one service job. I also thought $185 for the engine flush was high.

My suggestion: Try not to let the dealer experience sour you on the actual ownership experience. You do not have to go to the dealer for your maintenance work. If you keep a log of the work you do, or keep copies of your service invoices from independent shops, and follow the maintenance intervals outlined in the manual, the only time you'd every have to go to the dealer would be for warranty/recall work - and it would be free in that case.

That said, if you prefer to use the dealership for maintenance work, chances are very slim that you'd get any better treatment from any other manufacturer. The dealership's service team is all about profit for the dealership, regardless of make, so the experience you had with your Mazda dealer's service team will likely be the same (or potentially worse) as the experience at the Ford Dealer.

I haven't taken a car for dealer service for 20 years. That trip was for a recall issue that got so bad I figured it would be better for resale, the car was 20+yo at the time.

Neither of my current two vehicles have ever gone back, not even for the 1000 mile complimentary service. Total of 15 dealer free years on those two so far, knock on wood.

Typical dealer prices around here would be around $300 per axle (new rotors and pads). Alignments, maybe every couple of years, it's a pretty tough suspension system.

FYI if you don't know Firestone offers a lifetime alignment. They have recently updated most if not all locations to properly align vehicles with lane departure warning and other similar driving aids. I am not a paid corporate shill.
lifetime is ~$200 so it pays for itself after 2.

I have the lifetime alignment purchased against my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser.. since 2008, I moved to Arizona and no problems with continued free alignments. My truck get's abused offroad and Firestone has never once complained about getting an alignment every ~3 months :).

If you are in the market for the lifetime it is a bargain.. but you might to wait to see if they do their New Year's promotion again

this is from Jan 2020:
3pcRVNc.jpg

of course while your vehicle in is for the alignment it gives them a perfect opportunity to attempt up sale on other services. They swear each time I take the FJ in it needs $1200 in service.. yet I decline and magically it still operates fine :).

Prices for parts 2015 CX5 Mazda retail Rotors $100 each from Mazda
Pair Front Brake pads $94 from Mazda
Pair Rear Brake pads $78 from Mazda
If you Google rotors, the recommendation is replace at 100,000 miles.
Brake flush at 100,000 is a yes...I just had my brakes and rotors replaced on 2005 F150 Ford few months ago truck...new pads, new rotors, and flush. Flush was around $125. I had 109,000 miles on truck.

$900 without new rotors seems like a ripoff. Ask them to give you the cost of the items to reach $900. You want an itemization of the $900.

Whenever I replace brake pads and I get them from a parts store, they will usually carry a brand with good, better, and best pads. The cost is not that much more to get the best... It saves having to replace and pay for new pads and labor. You get alot more miles on the best pads. Pay a few dollars more and get the best pads.

Find an independent NAPA shop and get a firm estimate. Brakes with new Mazda pads and turned rotors front and rear should be ~ $575? which includes bleeding the brakes. A full flush may add $100.

Did they add a flush to the oil? That might not be good. Maybe the coolant.

Many many many years ago I was quoted $950 to repair my brakes at a "brake shop". I went home, pulled things apart, got a ride to the local parts store and shelled out $150 for new pads and shoes. Two hours later I was safely stopping on a dime.

One thing too consider is that some shops change everything, even when not necessary. As well as dealers being $110+/hr, the cost just climbs and climbs when it really doesn't need to.

One thing too consider is that some shops change everything, even when not necessary. As well as dealers being $110+/hr, the cost just climbs and climbs when it really doesn't need to.

yep. there are a couple of things here

1) parts blasting; replace every part in sight even if it doesn't need it
2) labor hours called "book rate" for each of the parts to be replaced. This was previously discussed here on lowering springs

I have picked up a set of brake discs and pads, for all four corners, for ~$179(w/tax) from the bay and installed it myself, done. I don't recommend slotted discs though.
That dealership, is trying to make some money and many will fell for it.
I have just replaced all my struts/shocks, and I don't see my steering wheel a bit off, at all.

Back