3 downers...in an otherwise vast sea of happy anticipation

I didn't catch that.

I wonder if it was intentional, or just incidental to a software change that caused it. I guess it would only matter if you have Remote Start.

I checked the web version of the 2019 CX-9 Owner's Manual and it mirrors what what quoted by you earlier regarding the 2019 CX-5 Owner's Manual. Looks like they changed it for 2019 in both models.. I also noticed a lot of warnings regarding low temperature burns - that may be why they changed it. I can imagine a scenario where I drive to work one early summer morning with the seat warmer on, and I forget to turn it off. Then, before leaving for the day, I remote-start it, and get caught up talking to someone while walking to the car. Now that I'm at the car (which has been sitting in the sun all day), I open the door and park my butt on a seat that is hot on the outside from the sun, AND hot on the inside from the seat warmer. Ouch.

They may have also changed it to prevent the battery from discharging quickly when the car is in ACC mode and the ignition is off. For example, if I were to drop a friend off to get their ice fishing license and I wanted to wait in the parking lot, I would park my car and turn the ignition off to save gas. Meanwhile, I'd have the radio running, and I might forget to turn the seat warmer off. That could cause the battery to drain quickly and could cause start up issues (especially if there were others in the 2nd row who also had their seat warmers on).

Last edited:
I checked the web version of the 2019 CX-9 Owner's Manual and it mirrors what what quoted by you earlier regarding the 2019 CX-5 Owner's Manual. Looks like they changed it for 2019 in both models.. I also noticed a lot of warnings regarding low temperature burns - that may be why they changed it. I can imagine a scenario where I drive to work one early summer morning with the seat warmer on, and I forget to turn it off. Then, before leaving for the day, I remote-start it, and get caught up talking to someone while walking to the car. Now that I'm at the car (which has been sitting in the sun all day), I open the door and park my butt on a seat that is hot on the outside from the sun, AND hot on the inside from the seat warmer. Ouch.
That's interesting.

I've not driven my car often in cold weather, but the few times I've used the seat warmers, I've turned them off pretty quickly once the chilly has been taken off (but I'm not up north.) I can imagine your summer scenario when wearing shorts!!! (Reminds me of the days as a kid on a hot day with clear plastic seat covers!)

Another feature-tweak Mazda made along the way in the CX-9 was to remove the tach from the Heads-Up Display. They rolled that change out to existing models buried in an unrelated software update. I can imagine some surprised owners when they picked up their cars!! I hope this seat warmer thing isn't on anyone's radar screen at HQ.

Read a few threads on remote starters, always surprises me how different the dealer installed systems are.

I'm not sure my fob is identical to other non remote starter enabled car fobs, but it looks normal to me. No weirdness or ugliness. Just the regular size and buttons.
Here's the ugliness next to fob that came with the car. I was told the remote fob would be identical! Our lease is up and we're not going back to that dealer of course..

Attachments

• IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4634.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 139
Here's the ugliness next to fob that came with the car. I was told the remote fob would be identical! Our lease is up and we're not going back to that dealer of course..

Max Smart... Calling Max Smart...

7-Business-Lessons-from-Get-Smart-and-Agent-86.jpg

Oh come on. Are we sure this isn't the first day of April? They put their logo on that? Put that on an Apple message board and let the engineers go at it.

My key fob is identical to your key fob. Remote start is done thru the fob. Press lock, unlock, lock in succession. It's finicky on the timing. I prefer the ones that have you hold a button down. But at least it's not from an 80s tech trade show.

Plus to carry 2 fobs...in today's slim fit pants pockets...

The other problem that Mazda NAV has is with the audio reminders ("Turn right onto I-95 1 mile ahead.") The reminders play at a set volume, so if your stereo is up too high, it drowns them out (you still hear the muffled voice in the background, you just don't understand what it's saying, so in a sense you still get a reminder that your turn's coming up.) To me it's annoyingly poor design, but the audio is generally a "don't fly past your next move" reminder (although in some instances it will say helpful things like "Turn right, then take an immediate left") while the main directions are always on the HUD and the infotainment screen banner.

I was just rereading this thread while I sit on hold and noticed this.
Deer, that volume for the GPS is totally adjustable. While she is speaking, adjust the volume and it adjusts the volume for the GPS only.

I was just rereading this thread while I sit on hold and noticed this.
Deer, that volume for the GPS is totally adjustable. While she is speaking, adjust the volume and it adjusts the volume for the GPS only.
Not sure I understand. Are you saying that there's an adjustment in addition to the system's Guidance Volume adjustment...that I can do it "on the fly" without going into the infotainment system features?

That would be nice. After I had the software upgraded, I've struggled with getting the VR volume back where she was.

Not sure I understand. Are you saying that there's an adjustment in addition to the system's Guidance Volume adjustment...that I can do it "on the fly" without going into the infotainment system features?

That would be nice. After I had the software upgraded, I've struggled with getting the VR volume back where she was.

Yes. I have done this. Create a destination far away.. start driving around the block .. have one hand on the volume knob .. when navigation gets angry and tells you "turn left" turn volume down.

Yes. I have done this. Create a destination far away.. start driving around the block .. have one hand on the volume knob .. when navigation gets angry and tells you "turn left" turn volume down.
And then what?
Have you adjusted it on a going-forward basis until you adjust it again?

And she's not angry. She just knows a guy won't ask for directions...

correct the guidance volume is now set at the new desired volume until changed once again.
Interesting.

I'll have to try that with the Voice Recognition volume. The software upgrade made her "Say A Command" voice barely audible. I know the manual points out a place other than Guidance Volume for that one, I just need to find it again...or to try this with it.

Thanks, 7 and CX5!

Back