Recent content by singlemalt_18

1. S

Clear bra paint protection film for CX-9?

I just had the front end of my 2018 Sig dressed up with Expel PPF, and my only regret is that I didn't consider it - and do some research - sooner. With about 18k mostly hi-speed highway miles, the "peppering" of the leading surfaces were beginning to add up, not to mention continuously removing...
  2. S

Covid procedures for maintenance and vehicle well being

Short runs like this, especially when combined with infrequent use in cold weather, will make any battery weakness more of an issue. Its kind of a perfect storm, no pun intended for those in Texas.
  3. S

Fog Light Indicator

This is kind of funny. I remember discussion about this back in 2006 when my 2007 CX-7 AWD GT was brand spankin' new! So after all the years being trained to just look at my light control arm, I never gave it much of a thought on my 2018 Sig-9... which of course does not have an illuminated...
  4. S

When it Rains, it Pours

Sorry to hear about the suspension issues and hope the dealer steps up to take care of all the details.
  5. S

When it Rains, it Pours

I too have experienced the water drainage that can happen when opening the back hatch under certain circumstances; not sure this is unique to CX-9 or Mazda. I'm more curious about the suspension issues you're having on a brand new vehicle. What's up with that?
  6. S

Sunroof exploded!

Not sure how much heat a closed shade would add, but I would be curious if any correlation to paint colors exists. Dark tones absorb significantly more heat than lighter colors; factor in surface expansion/stresses and there could be the catalyst?
  7. S

Sunroof exploded!

Below is a link to an exhaustive write-up on the subject by Consumer Reports. This has been going on for years, with nearly all make/model of vehicles. There is apparently little agreement, and even less understood as to what causes these failures when they do occur. Many theories exist, but...
  8. S

Park CX-9 in garage?

Something I have always done in my 2-car garage parking to provide easier access to the cars is use a center-oriented driver door arrangement. When entering the left garage, I always back in so that driver exits into the center & not against a wall. Likewise, when entering the garage on the...
  9. S

Can I make my CX-7 reliable?

Slightly OT - I just had my original 2007 CX-7 GT AWD in the shop (private) for the transfer case seal repair. This was a known issue per a TSB for all 2007-08 models made before Oct 1 2007. The repair cost me just over $700. (90% of which was labor) I bought it right out of the gate in August...
  10. S

Speedometer Calibration

Yes, that accuracy rate is the error rate of all the moving parts ie the satellite & the planet, adjusted for the time delay of data transmission. Under optimal conditions, precise location can be calculated to about 4 inches for highest resolution devices. Calculating speed is an entirely...
  11. S

Outward Camera Visibility Compromised

It can happen in low-light, with thick fog and very humid conditions, which makes sense, but I've also had it happen under some surprisingly clear conditions. On a sunny, crystal clear winter day, with the sun low in the sky, reflecting incredible glare off of the dried rock-salt covered...
  12. S

Center ac vent

The center vent can be turned off completely by using the air-flow select controls to redirect air flow to the lower or upper channels? The door-side vents can be closed completely; to my thinking, it would likely not be an optimal back-pressure scenario to have all middle vents closed at the...
  13. S

Center ac vent

Sorry it's such a disappointment for you. I'd just drive. I thought they were the "driver right" and "passenger left" vents.
  14. S

2007~2015 Is it worth keeping?

I think you've answered your own question. The 2007 CX-9 is a dinosaur and I can't speak to it specifically. I still have my 2007 CX-7 which was an entirely different vehicle, and I love it. It still is an awesome, sporty & nimble ride. Fortunately, I never had any of the big issues, so I lucked...
  15. S

What is that chime or dinging noise?

"No man is an island, apart to himself.....so ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." (Sorry, couldn't resist. At least your not seeing dead people "all the time" ; - ))
Back