Recent content by rick3478

1. R

2020 CX-3 Loud Bang Then Burning Rubber Smell

Don't know what vehicle you have, so I'll just launch into a couple things from personal experience, may or may not be relevant. 1) Might have picked up a hitchhiker, cat rat bird or piece of debris rubbed against tire then got spit out. 2) Any missing wheelwell parts that might have been...
  2. R

2006 Mazda3i Timing Chain reset issue…Help!

You'd have to explain it to me, too. The chain is a pretty basic part. There might be an adjustment for the tensioner. Or adjustable indexing on the cam sprocket(s). Or a longer shot - there are offset keys, straight or half-moon, available for cam sprockets. But I don't really know what...
  3. R

Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

I've been using 5W30 since the warranty ran out. Seems to crank a little slower on cold Winter mornings, and sounds a little less like a sewing machine, but no problems and no plans to switch back.
  4. R

Dropped an SD card under the seat (Mazda3 2018)

Depending on size and shape of hole, a couple things come to mind. Wad of inside-out duct tape, by itself or on the end of a pencil. Cloth over the end of a vacuum nozzle.
  5. R

Raybestos Element 3 - Where to buy?

I bought from RockAuto because they had everything in stock and similar price to others who didn't. Came in two boxes in a couple days. I don't know how you got to $170 shipping, even six large USPS boxes wouldn't approach that. And yeah, resetting the auto-adjusting pistons was a...
  6. R

What have you done to your Mazda3 today?

Replaced battery this afternoon. It's been cranking weak for a couple weeks and this morning refused to go. OEM battery lasted about 9 years, :) but first replacement only about 15 months. 😡 Diehard ain't what it used to be, apparently now low grade junk. So kicked that to the curb and put in...
  7. R

Powerstop Drilled and Slotted Rotors Pros/Cons?

You get less braking surface and they tear up pads a lot faster. Unless you are actually racing, drilled and/or slotted rotors are a mistake for street use.
  8. R

Selling my wrecked MX-5

Maybe, but like they said ^ and location, pictures, etc.
  9. R

Aluminum lug nut warning

Just to be clear ... they broke while going on? That's crazy. If they had been on a couple years and had a chance to grow fast, I might expect trouble getting them off. But can't even handle the torque of normal installation is just ridiculous.
  10. R

A presumed safety item that isn't safe - daytime running lights

Applicable, maybe, if an oncoming vehicle is silhouetted against a light background like concrete, or a reflective glass building. Not the dominant scenario, certainly, but the point is that DRL's are a mandated one-size-fits-all solution that doesn't fit all. I doubt if anyone has statistics...
  11. R

A presumed safety item that isn't safe - daytime running lights

To add another facet to the discussion, DRL's can, under some lighting conditions actually make a vehicle harder to see. Ref: Yehudi Lights https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yehudi_lights A real world military camouflage technique, no less.
  12. R

WTT Free/Trade 2012 Mazda3iT Rotors

Just put new pads and rotors on my 2012 M3iT, does anyone want the original rotors before I turn them in for scrap iron? They went 51K miles on original pads and have never been cut, should be good for a refurb. Heavy, so I don't want to mess with shipping, pick up at my place in NW Ohio...
  13. R

So, I did not get to it the next day, or the one after, or the one after that. Did eventually get the rear pads and rotors replaced this afternoon. Had a bit of trouble with the combination mechanical hydraulic parking brake adjusters. One might think these things would be mirror assemblies...
  14. R

New pads and rotors on the front this afternoon/evening. 51K miles they were getting thin, starting to make little squeeky warning sounds. OMG those original rotors grow fast with only a little rust. No bloody knuckles, don't know how I got away with that.;) Rear is targeted next, maybe...
  15. R

2012 Mazda3 Driver Window Auto-up not working after battery change

And there it is. Silly me, I was searching for "reset", but they called it "initialization". Or a search for "2 seconds" would have found it. Thanks a bunch!
Back