Recent content by murky

1. M

Brake pad and rotor replacement question

Anti-seize is for metal to metal parts contact with no relative motion while in use. I use high temperature grease for the sliding surfaces.
  2. M

Stuck brake rotor

Interesting, maybe its because I'm an engineer, but the mechanism by which the bolt pushes the rotor off of the hub seems obvious.
  3. M

Stuck brake rotor

I also described how to use it. "Screw the bolt into the threaded hole in the rotor." The purpose is to get the rotor to separate - didn't think I needed to describe when to stop, it should be evident.
  4. M

Stuck brake rotor

Screw the bolt into the threaded hole in the rotor. M8x1.25 , easy to find with Google search. I didn't try to remove without the bolt on my 2018, but it seemed to come off pretty easily, no loud pop or anything.
  5. M

Hitch for Bike Rack

If you get a Drawtite (Formerly Hidden Hitch), you can use one of these, which is also a lock: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G4Z69O/?tag=m20b7-20
  6. M

$5 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CINV88/?tag=m20b7-20 I used this just on the backs of the pads - pressing surfaces metal to metal. I used the grease that came with the Powerstop pads for the sliding surfaces of metal to metal. I used silicone paste for the slider pins that have...
  7. M

What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Hopefully the washers reduce the risk, but those seem like important nuts to torque properly. You can get a torque wrench for $20.
  8. M

Insurance Ripoffs

Prices also vary hugely from company to company, seeming without reason. It's not that one company is a lot cheaper overall, they just seem to have very different formulae. They can quote "on average people who switch to xyz save xxx" because its the people for whom they quote much better...
  9. M

Insurance Ripoffs

That's more than I pay at Progressive. 3 cars, 2 drivers - I'm 14 years older than you. The 2018 Mazda is the only one with full coverage and $500 deductible. 500K for bodily injury. $413 for 6 months.
  10. M

Rotors are inexpensive and brakes needed infrequently. The time I spend on a brake job is a lot more valuable than the cost of new quality rotors. The hardest part of a brake job for me is the bedding in. It's hills and windy 2 lane highway with stop signs around our place.
  11. M

Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

I feel like the contrarian in this thread. I like the electric PARKING brake because it can auto engage. I wish I could set that up on my wife's car. She never uses the parking brake unless on a steep hill. I also like the CX5 autohold brake. It holds the hydraulic brakes for you, it...
  12. M

Has “Machine Grey” changed recently?

It's probably difficult to keep the color the same if they try.
  13. M

I don't mind headlights as DRL. I think Mazda's culpability here is in having headlights that are so expensive to replace. If the cost were similar to spark plugs, or even brakes, it wouldn't be a big deal.
  14. M

Because fewer people die when DRLs are used. Here, where we get more than our share of overcast days, there are always morons out there, seems like usually with road-colored cars, who don't even turn on their lights when its dusk and raining. You don't know what your car looks like to other...
  15. M

I had to try the instructions 3 or 4 times to get mine off so I could drive my family through the zoo lights display a while ago. It worked. I re-enabled them a day or two later.