Recent content by Mantra 7

1. M

CX-5 Cabin air filter on Amazon?

I'll admit I haven't studied the Mazda HVAC system, but I recently upgraded my '89 Suburban's a/c to a Sanden compressor, along with replacing all of the associated components, so I've done more hands-on work with air conditioning than most. People keep saying the cabin air filter protects the...
  2. M

Since it's been mentioned a couple of times, I have a question about the idea of protecting the HVAC system. What exactly needs protecting? If it's just a matter of keeping leaves and dirt out of the vents, wouldn't it make more sense to just run a "T" off of the intake duct downstream from the...
  3. M

With a Miata, you have a small car packed with all the same features of larger vehicles. The engineers have only so much room to work with so concessions must be made. I have a '59 MGA, which is about the same size as a Miata, and it's easy to get to all the components because it doesn't have...
  4. M

I disagree. Whether the air entering the cabin makes a single pass in normal operation or multiple passes when in recirculation mode, it's still being filtered. The degree of that filtration depends on the quality of the filter. In theory, a vehicle with a HEPA filter sitting still with the...
  5. M

There is a slight decrease, but I couldn't detect it by sound or feel. I have a handheld anemometer and mounted it 3" from the center dash vent with the blower on high. The oem filter, which I would say was medium dirty, registered a peak air flow of 14.5 mph. No air filter at all registered a...
  6. M

It's frustrating that most manufacturers don't reveal the efficiency of their cabin filters. Since you're buying it for just the one purpose, wouldn't it be nice to know how well it does that? I went with Bosch, it's a true HEPA quality filter at 99.97% efficiency and filters particulates down...
  7. M

Replaced CX-5 Turbo’s Spark Plugs

I appreciate the fact that you did it yourself. It irritates me that so many car owners are too lazy/inept to perform even the most basic tasks related to vehicle maintenance (including washing).
  8. M

2014~2017 19” Mazda6 Wheels on 2022 CX-5?

225/55r19 is the oem tire size on the upper-trim CX-5 so definitely no rubbing. Personally, I think they look too skinny for the size of the vehicle when viewed from behind. If I were doing the same swap I would take any advantage of the extra .5” rim width and go as wide as allowed according...
  9. M

What are your favorite aspects of your CX-5?

For me, it was the interior and overall driving experience, especially with the turbo. I was originally going for fuel economy and looking at Toyota, but decided that buying a car with fuel economy as the primary factor was a bad idea. The final nail in the Rav4 coffin was when I figured out why...
  10. M

Catalytic Converter theft likely?

People are making it harder to steal the cats so thieves are becoming more determined. This crew is ready for anyone trying to interrupt their work. https://www.reddit.com/r/SeattleWA/comments/s94iz8/ring_camera_captures_catalytic_converter_theft_at/
  11. M

2013~2016 1st gen CX-5 headlight restoration

Thanks. The topcoat is supposed to dry to a hard finish but mine had only cured for a couple of hours by sunset today. I bought the kit based on testing done by YouTube's Project Farm. I have seen reviews on the Sylvania kit and the clarity should remain anywhere from a couple of years to...
  12. M

2013~2016 1st gen CX-5 headlight restoration

I just finished doing the headlights on my 2004 Accord using the Sylvania kit. It was $20 from Amazon. The lights are oem so the finish was definitely going away, not terrible, but yellowed along the top third where they get more sun. The kit includes 400, 1000, and 2000 grit sandpaper, but I...
  13. M

Looking for smaller Mazda key fob

In my case, both, actually. I wear cargo shorts pretty much year-round but my old iphone se can easily fit in the front pocket of jeans. Not kidding, I thought only women carried their phone in their back pocket.
  14. M

Looking for smaller Mazda key fob

It's strange that a key fob could seem too large while most people have no issue carrying a cell phone that's several times larger.
  15. M

Anyone have an easy way to do your own tire rotation?

I use two floor jacks (front/rear) to lift the whole car and stabilize with stands on the sides. The side supports are absolutely necessary because the rear lift point is narrow and makes things tippy. Been doing the x-pattern rotation every 4000 miles. Goes pretty quick with a pneumatic gun.
Back