Recent content by Go Hawks

1. G

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and Mazda6 models

Also, if the reflash does not disable limp mode, and the rocker arm is already off, the danger to the engine may be the least of your worries if you are presented with the situation that my wife and I were in. The danger to your life becomes the real issue.
  2. G

Tran, I can't say whether or not the reflash disables limp mode. My car has a new engine and reflash and so far I have had no further issues. My biggest concern about the recall only doing the reflash is the fact that the owner really has no indication of the rocker arm being dislodged. If...
  3. G

Great info... thanks for the link!
  4. G

Manufacture date is December 2017
  5. G

It does not appear that my VIN falls into those numbers. The last 6 digits of my VIN start with 333. I can say I am no expert on how the vin numbers are generated though. My wife has the car at work right now so I can*t determine the manufacture date. When she gets home I will verify and post.
  6. G

If the rocker arm is off, the vehicle will go into limp mode when high enough RPMs on the engine is reached. Once you "reset" the limp mode by shutting down the engine, the car will drive normal again and you will have no indication of a problem until you hit the magic RPM again.
  7. G

Ed, I wouldn't call myself or anyone else on this thread a "self appointed expert" on this topic. I think we are all concerned consumers who have purchased a vehicle that may or may not have an inherent flaw (depending on which PCM logic your car was shipped with) which could result in serious...
  8. G

The car should still be under warranty with only 24000 miles on it. Since you are buying from a private party I would let them do the recall work and then test drive the vehicle. Let the current owner know that you want to drive the car pretty hard and take it up in RPMs. If it were me...
  9. G

No, not literally a minute. Just a few seconds, Maybe between 5-15 seconds. Remember, all you are trying to do is see if the computer senses a *misfire* on a cylinder due to the air/fuel ratio not being correct. So it may sense it as soon as you get above 5500 rpms or it may take it a few...
  10. G

You are correct in your statement that it doesn't mask anything or nullify limp mode. But you are way off base with your assumption that sounds from the engine are different or even noticeable performance in every day driving. In my case and in JJM86M we noticed nothing wrong with our vehicles...
  11. G

This is rather disappointing. I am glad they are actually recalling these vehicles but they really need to be removing the valve cover and taking a look. If a customer already has the rocker arm off and don't realize it, this update does nothing for them. The damage has already been done and...
  12. G

Find out what the protocol is for the recall work. If it calls for just reflashing the PCM, force them to actually remove the valve cover and physically look. The reflash will do nothing for you if the rocker arm is already dislodged.
  13. G

When they had my car and they determined that they needed to reflash the PCM, I was told by the dealership that Mazda only has a couple the the "tools" needed for the reflash. It took them a few days to get this "tool" and finally reflash my PCM. That is why I went ballistic on them when I...
  14. G

That is exactly how I proved it to the dealership when I took mine in originally. Mine would do it when RPMs were between 5500 and 6000 and held there for a bit. You need to push the engine hard enough that it will cause the affected cylinder to have a bad fuel/air ratio. This is what will...
Back