Recent content by DwightFrye

1. D

CX-5 Turbo is the best AWD SUV for the money

When I bought my CX-5 GT-R in 2019 I was prepared to spend up to $50k for an AWD SUV. The Mazda came out on top in every category that mattered and was well under my budget. I have been very pleased with it, the car drives very well, is quiet and comfortable, handles well for an SUV and with the...
  2. D

AGM Battery Question

I changed out the original battery n my 2019 CX-5 GT R a few months ago with an AGM type battery I purchased at Walmart. No issues were encountered except I highly suggest with any new battery to put it on a charger before installing it. The date code on mine was only a month before I bought it...
  3. D

SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

I purchased the oil from Amazon about 6 months ago and took the used oil to the recycling center for disposal so I don't have the jug to see if it was the Triple Action Formula. As I mentioned I make a lot of short trips, often only about 8-10 miles round trip. About 3 times a month I will go...
  4. D

I just received my Blackstone Labs report for my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve. The car was four years old at the beginning of June and this oil was in the car for 14 months. I am retired so make a lot of short trips and have only put 20,000 miles on the car in those four years. I chose the Mobil 1 EP...
  5. CX-5 Blackstone Report 07-06-23.jpg

CX-5 Blackstone Report 07-06-23.jpg

6. D

Kudos to AutoZone for battery change

I changed out the battery in my 2019 GT-R over the weekend and also didn't lose any settings. The windows did require a reset for the auto up/down. And I had previously disabled the auto fold function upon lock for the mirrors and they had reset themselves to auto fold again. I had to look up...
  7. D

Guide CX-5 Battery Installation

I'm glad I bought my new battery a week ago. It was $159.84 on 4/13/23 and when I returned the old battery on 4/17/23 for the core credit the same Everstart Platinum AGM battery was marked $179.84. That's a $20 increase. Inflation is nailing us at every turn.
  8. D

I bought one of the Everstart Platinum AGM batteries at Walmart today. The date code is 03/23. Can't get much newer than that. It is also marked Made in Korea. The serial number starts with HAN so my best guess is the manufacturer is ATL (Hankook Atlas). So much for getting a made in USA brand...
  9. D

You are correct about the weight of the AGM battery. The website says it is 40 lbs. I am quite surprised at that. My Jaguar F Type has an AGM battery and I read somewhere that was supplied as a weight savings measure. Maybe the particular battery that JLR uses is lighter than a lead acid...
  10. D

Thanks guys. I'm aware that there are only a few actual battery manufacturers out there and many of the chain auto parts stores have them made up with their own house brand names and model numbers. Probably so you can't cross shop them. Kind of like mattresses. I'll see about ordering one of...
  11. D

I am in the habit of installing a new battery in my cars at the 48 month point, regardless of what the supposed warranty is. I have had too many batteries fail with no prior warning so I just replace them for peace of mind. I understand that Walmart is about the best source for buying a...
  12. D

235/55/19 or 245/50/19 Tires (2021 CX-5 Signature)

I bought a set of the Continental Extreme Contact DSW06 Plus tires in 235/55 R19 size last September for my 2019 GT-Reserve. The original Toyo's were pretty worn on the front at only about 15,000 miles. The shop told me the alignment was off even though I hadn't noticed it while driving as the...
  13. D

Fuel Injector Cleaner

I am also a California resident and not only are our gas prices high but even the Top Tier fuel sellers seem to have problems with the gas that is related to the types of fuel blends required here. I only run 91 octane in my 2019 CX 5 GT Reserve turbo mainly because I want the extra power. I'm...
  14. D

I have settled on Mobil 1 5W-30 EP in my 2019 CX 5 with the 2.5L Turbo engine. The oil is full synthetic and low on sulfated ash content which supposedly is beneficial for DI engines. I only go 5000 miles between changes however, regardless of Mobil 1's claims that the oil is good for 20,000...
  15. D

Oil filter differences?

I recently ordered a 3 pack of Mazda PY8W-14-302 (Japanese) filters from Amazon. What I received was the Thai made 1WPY-14-302 alternates. They are approved by Mazda so I will keep them but be aware that the Japanese made filters may be hard to get. Supply chain issues I guess. I would love to...
Back