Recent content by DSlab

1. D

SoCal Mechanic Recommendations?

Sorry, I forgot that I posted this. I had the engine taken apart because there was a coolant leak. It was not a blown head gasket but had to take the head to the machine shop (long story). Anyway, the car has been sitting there with the engine apart for a few years. Finally, someone...
  2. D

SoCal Mechanic Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a mechanic in the Los Angeles area who is very knowledgeable about the MP5 or MSP (FS-DE)?
  3. D

FS: MSP racing beat rear sway bar & OEM MSP springs

Ok, let me know if things changed.
  4. D

FS: MSP racing beat rear sway bar & OEM MSP springs

Has the rear sway bar been sold?
  5. D

Need a Car Cover for Protege5

Thanks for the info. So based on what you wrote, I should get something breathable and specially made for outdoor. But what made you choose the (covercraft) evolution 4 car cover instead of the other one? How much did you pay for yours?
  6. D

Need a Car Cover for Protege5

My P5 has been sitting in the drive way for a few month now. I need to buy a car cover to protect it from the elements (mostly the hot sun in southern California). I've never had a car cover before, so I don't know anything about them. I know there are some thick ones and some really cheap...
  7. D

HOw to remove crank pulley?

Thanks for the how to page. I don't have an impact wrench, and hope I don't need to get one for now. SO I guess I'll just need to put it in 5th and find a friend to hold on to the other wheel. ZZZOOM's way is good too, unfortunately I've already taken the head off and disconnected a bunch...
  8. D

Cylinder head: FS2 and FS9 casting, any difference?

The head repair shop told me that the cylinder head off my 2002 Protege5 needs to be repaired. So right now I am trying to find out all the options I have before making any decision. I saw online that there is a reconditioned cylinder head for sale that's a FS2 casting for about the same...
  9. D

HOw to remove crank pulley?

HOw to remove crank pulley? It must not be complicated, since I couldn't find any info on this in forum, and many owners have udp or lightweight pulley installed. The service manual mentions using a SST, but just wondering if there is an easier way.
  10. D

it cost me 400$ for obx header...

Or you can just refuse to pay the customs fee/duty. I don't know about UPS but with Fedex if the receiver didn't pay, Fedex will collect it from the sender. Hey, just an option, doesn't mean you should do this. With USPS, if the sender is real friendly with you and declare the item as gift...
  11. D

Cylinder head bolts

I think these are what the previous owner meant when he mentioned "ARP hardware".
  12. D

Cylinder head bolts

Thanks, That's exactly what I needed to know. I guess I didn't pay attention to the "turning the bolt 85-95 degree twice" part on the next page in the service manual. Thanks for clearing things up. By the way, now that it uses studs, how would the cylinder head installation procedure be any...
  13. D

Cylinder head bolts

This probably a newbie question, but I didn't want to proceed unless I am sure. I was trying to remove the cylinder head on my P5 today. When I get to the cylinder head bolts, I found these (see attached image). What's shown in the picture was not from my car, it was an image from another...
  14. headbolt.jpg

headbolt.jpg

15. D

Protege 5 engine running rough despite repairs

Although you have similar symptoms, the root cause of the problem might be different now from before. It is going to be hard to know, especially the previous mechanics never told you what code you had before, and never told you why they think a tune up would solve the problem. Anyway, at least...
Back