Recent content by bamirault

1. B

Exploding sunroof...wtf?!

My memory is that the US Highway Safety folks just closed an investigation into this very topic after receiving many reports over multiple manufacturers. Their determination is that although there's no denying the problem, they have no further interest as they deemed it NOT a safety issue...
  2. B

Anyone try Michelin Pilot Sport tires?

Never on my CX5. Currently on my MX5. Nearly everything about them is superior. What's not? Noise. They are quieter than some other performance tyres but I usually drive top-down, and the Miata is by nature a loud ride. Wear. The company makes tyres both cheaper AND longer lasting, but nothing...
  3. B

Who here has thought of trading in their CX-5?

Using an MX-5 for those open-air situations is working for me. As to trading in, my CX-5 went into service August 2012. I have a deposit on a Lexus NX 450 h+ and hope to take delivery some time in 2024. Brian
  4. B

Over filling the gas tank, is this a practice that should be avoided?

I filled until I could see fuel for years on my Miata, until the day the check engine light came on after a fillup. Dropped it off at dealer and later got a call saying that there was fuel in the fuel tank air pressurization pump - did I ever fill the tank beyond auto pump shutoff? This was a...
  5. B

Never again will I do this...

I personally have had a problem associated with this practice with my MX-5. It has a small tank and the roads we travel in it are not dotted with service stations. Thus for the two years I owned a used NB, and for the first three years that I've had my NC I always filled the tank until I could...
  6. B

2017~2024 Rust Check Question

Yes. The rubber seals around doors and hatch can soften and pucker, and begin sagging. The longest I have continuously used Rust Check is nine years. In that time the condition was never bad enough to cause problems. On the other hand, when I disposed of my 626 after nine years and my S70 after...
  7. B

2017~2024 CX-5 AGM battery

Standard lead-acid batteries have removable access along the top, either individual caps or strips, which allow you to top up the distilled water in each battery cell (see your photo). You can look for these if you cannot find a label stating AGM. AGM batteries do not have this access as they...
  8. B

Battery life for key fob...How long does yours last?

Mine last around 20 months. Please expand on using 2032 as a replacement. I must have missed it. Brian
  9. B

2019 CX-5 - best way to clean waffle grill?

A soft, long bristle scrub brush works for me. Brian
  10. B

Poll Who has a CX-5 and a Miata?

CX-5 in service August '12(new). Current MX-5 '10 (used '11). Brian
  11. B

2013~2016 Battery life?

I certainly hope that it is maintenance-free, 'cause I haven't done anything with it since new. Only tangentially related, I am booked to have it replaced by the dealer December 19 on speculation. They claim it's fine, but that day I am scheduled to start a 7-day drive to Tucson. It certainly...
  12. B

2013~2016 Battery life?

My CX-5 went into service August '12. I'm still using the original battery here in cold Ottawa. Brian
  13. B

How long does the 2017 original equipment battery remain trouble free?

My OE battery went into service August 2012. Dealer service department claimed it was still good August 2019.
  14. B

Should I do it?

Only considered this in '99 and not since. A new Volvo S70 and a dealer offer of extended warranty for 1400$ Canadian. Went the "put the money in the bank" route. At the end of the extended warranty period there was still 400$ in the account. The CX5 has proven more reliable. Save your money...
  15. B

Driving long distances... is the CX5 comfortable?

In early November drove from Ottawa Canada to Tucson Arizona in 4.5 days in our '13 GT. Very comfortable for us. Seats not quite as comfortable as the previous Volvo S70, but no problem. A bigger issue is the available power with the rear seats down and the cargo area fully utilized. Brian
Back