FS-DE To FS-ZE engine conversion questions

Hello, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 2.0, I need to do some engine teardown and was wondering if it was possible to convert an FS-DE Engine to an FS-ZE. So far I figure I need valve springs, cams, an intake, ECU, and some exhaust work, is there anything else I need and where is the best place to find all of this?

Welcome to the forums!

To be honest, that seems like it could be a pretty in-depth job, though not impossible. I know there are folks around here who have the experience to help you out (I certainly don't), but I'm not sure how many of them are still active.

I don't want to be "that guy", but in my opinion, your best option for getting info quickly is to start searching for and reading old threads on here relating to the FS-ZE, especially the build threads and "What have you done to your P5" thread. Years of great info on here to uncover.

Best wishes, and hopefully someone more qualified than me will pick this up and give you some help!

Upvote 0
+1 on trawling through the old threads, lots of good info buried in here!

Unless you're dead set on tearing down the engine, I'd source a complete ZE and swap the whole thing, much easier and no guesswork on which bits to swap over. You could even teardown a complete ZE for a freshen up before installing it if you want to have a look inside.

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Hello, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege5 2.0, I need to do some engine teardown and was wondering if it was possible to convert an FS-DE Engine to an FS-ZE. So far I figure I need valve springs, cams, an intake, ECU, and some exhaust work, is there anything else I need and where is the best place to find all of this?
What about going FS-DET? Seems like a more straightforward upgrade with the same HP as the FS-ZE but better torque curve. Could get the piping from a MSP and upgrade to a more modern turbo. That would be my approach, but never done it personally.

Upvote 0
What about going FS-DET? Seems like a more straightforward upgrade with the same HP as the FS-ZE but better torque curve. Could get the piping from a MSP and upgrade to a more modern turbo. That would be my approach, but never done it personally.
FS-DE and FS-DET is the exact same motor. You can just get the turbo goodies off an MSP and do the swap. You'd need a MSP ECU tho.

Upvote 0
I have a FSZE intake complete with TB, fuel rail, injectors, egr tube, etc........if OP still wanting to do that.

fszeim_1.jpg
fszeim_3.jpg

Upvote 0
Back