Smaller aftermarket key fob for 2020 CX-5?

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Does anyone know if there as a smaller key fob that can be programmed. I don't like having an OEM key fob that is practically the size of a small wallet. It doesn't have to be able to release the trunk, just lock and unlock.

You could buy the smaller fob style and get it programmed.

Someone show me this new fob?!?

Here's a comparison:

mazda-keyfob-main.jpg

Taken from this link that explains how to modify the keyfob to make it look like the one on the right.

Here's a comparison:

mazda-keyfob-main.jpg

Taken from this link that explains how to modify the keyfob to make it look like the one on the right.
He ditched the physical backup key, not a great idea in general and especially in this case given what might happen if this sketchy hack was dropped on the pavement. The backup does have a hole in it--it might fit on key ring.

He fabbed the case without a key ring receptacle. What's up with that? And so much for putting the physical backup on a key ring. This guy evidently does not have one. Maybe he soldered on a key box behind the rocker panel.

I'd also like to see him test the door button lock/unlock with it in his pocket as well as the push button start. :cautious:

As for his side button complaint, that sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I keep the fob on a key ring with other stuff carried in a front pants pocket often with more other stuff. Not once have those side buttons accidently activated.

If somebody fires up their 3-D printer and builds one of these, report back.

He ditched the physical backup key, not a great idea in general and especially in this case given what might happen if this sketchy hack was dropped on the pavement. The backup does have a hole in it--it might fit on key ring.

He fabbed the case without a key ring receptacle. What's up with that? And so much for putting the physical backup on a key ring. This guy evidently does not have one. Maybe he soldered on a key box behind the rocker panel.

I'd also like to see him test the door button lock/unlock with it in his pocket as well as the push button start. :cautious:

As for his side button complaint, that sounds like a solution in search of a problem. I keep the fob on a key ring with other stuff carried in a front pants pocket often with more other stuff. Not once have those side buttons accidently activated.

To be clear, I wasn't necessarily recommending that @hal2 use the keyfob from the link. I was just trying to illustrate the size difference between the different keyfob styles for @7eregrine, while crediting the original source.

With that said, referring back to the original post:

Does anyone know if there as a smaller key fob that can be programmed. I don't like having an OEM key fob that is practically the size of a small wallet. It doesn't have to be able to release the trunk, just lock and unlock.

The keyfob created by the guy in the video would satisfy these basic requirements. If you visit the link and read the article (and the comments below the article), he mentions that there is no loop/hole on the fob because he doesn't need one (he designed the case), and that he keeps the physical key in his wallet.

As far as accidental button presses, there have been reports of owners having these issues with both the previous keyfob style and the newer keyfob style. The problem does exist, at least for some people - but I don't know if this smaller keyfob addresses that problem. It stands to reason that a smaller keyfob is less likely to be accidentally bumped by other things in the pocket or by things outside of the pocket.

@Chocolate's suggestion is probably the most practical - I'd look into that if I wanted a smaller keyfob.

To be clear, I wasn't necessarily recommending that @hal2 use the keyfob from the link. I was just trying to illustrate the size differ ence between the different keyfob styles for @7eregrine, while crediting the original source.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting that you were recommending it. ;)

That said, I thought it worth pointing out the evident and possible losses of functionality. I would have liked to see him at least show he could start the vehicle.

You could buy the smaller fob style and get it programmed.

Can you program it yourself?

I've triggered the rear lift gate and unlock at least 5 times or so when bringing in groceries. The buttons seem easier to hit as they arent recessed on the side of the fob.

I really dont understand all the hate for this fob though. Is it big? Sure, but everyone and their mom is buying the tablet equivalent of a phone and slapping a case on it.

The lengths that guy went to shrinking the fob, while technically cool, seems excessive.

I've triggered the rear lift gate and unlock at least 5 times or so when bringing in groceries. The buttons seem easier to hit as they arent recessed on the side of the fob.

I really dont understand all the hate for this fob though. Is it big? Sure, but everyone and their mom is buying the tablet equivalent of a phone and slapping a case on it.

The lengths that guy went to shrinking the fob, while technically cool, seems excessive.
I don't have a power liftgate, so there's that, and frankly I wouldn't want it even if it was free but I understand why some might need it. I agree with your broader point, shaving off a cubic inch in the context of all the other junk we carry around.

The other questions still remain as to other functionality not demonstrated in the video.

Well, that's a non-sequitur. I don't know about you, but not putting my phone/tablet on my key ring.

Your questions might be answered if you posted them in the video's comment section instead of here. Here's ae direct link to the YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhpBgfxI-x0
I would if I ever contemplated doing this hack, which I don't. So, I offered questions to pose for those considering it if they had not thought of them already. My raising those questions might be helpful to them. That said, seeing is believing, and the guy did not demo essential features--is that a viable device or a failed experiment in search of views? Can't tell. I'll leave others to be the judge before hacking into what I'd guess is a $100+ OEM key fob.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that's a non-sequitur. I don't know about you, but not putting my phone/tablet on my key ring.
Sure but theres plenty of people keeping phones and keys in pockets, myself included. If the solution is to throw the phablet in a bag or a pocket, why is this fob any different or much more of a burden compared to even the previous generation fob?

Sure but theres plenty of people keeping phones and keys in pockets, myself included. If the solution is to throw the phablet in a bag or a pocket, why is this fob any different or much more of a burden compared to even the previous generation fob?

It could be because people have complained about accidentally opening the liftgate or unlocking the car (with both versions of the keyfob). In terms of function, your phone can't accidentally perform these functions while it's in your pocket, even with a mobile app, because you'd still have to unlock the phone and open the app. With the new design, the buttons on the side of the keyfob might be even easier to accidentally trigger (compared to the previous design) if the keyfob is on a key ring with other keys in the pocket.

It could be because people have complained about accidentally opening the liftgate or unlocking the car (with both versions of the keyfob). In terms of function, your phone can't accidentally perform these functions while it's in your pocket, even with a mobile app, because you'd still have to unlock the phone and open the app. With the new design, the buttons on the side of the keyfob might be even easier to accidentally trigger (compared to the previous design) if the keyfob is on a key ring with other keys in the pocket.
Oh sure, 100%. I've triggered the lift gate myself and am a bit puzzled why mazda couldnt have recessed/protected these buttons to prevent that.

I just mean the physical size of the fob really doesnt bother me as it seems to bother that guy who shrunk it in the video. It's big but in relation to many other things carried day to day, its peanuts.

Oh sure, 100%. I've triggered the lift gate myself and am a bit puzzled why mazda couldnt have recessed/protected these buttons to prevent that.

I just mean the physical size of the fob really doesnt bother me as it seems to bother that guy who shrunk it in the video. It's big but in relation to many other things carried day to day, its peanuts.

I don't think the keyfob size would bother me personally either, but everyone is different. Heck, everyone's pockets are different - someone who wears "skinny jeans" or slim-fitting slacks will likely be more bothered by the redesigned keyfob. Others may carry more keys/keychains on their keyring, making it more likely to trigger accidental presses compared to the previous version that they were used to carrying.

Seems many don't mind the large key fob so maybe it's just me, but I have no interest in carrying a keyring that looks like I'm the maintenance man. I don't need a key fob that's larger than my house, office, and mailbox keys combined

Back